connecting wires to pencils underwater

I'm interested in the prospect of using pencils as electrodes for electrolysis of water, but I'm trying to figure out a way to attach the wires from the power supply to the other end of each pencil so that the electrical connection is sound but I can seal it up to immerse (so that the exposed electrodes are underwater in tubes).

Here's a pencil example, but the gases from both working ends are open to the surface.

I'd like to make something structurally more like these examples, in order to capture the gases separately, but AFAICT I'd need either U-shaped pencils (!) or a way to attach the wires to the pencils securely under (I guess) heat-shrink insulation.

Suggestions?

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Alligator clips (test clips) covered with Sugru (check sparkfun.com ). The teeth of the clips will make good contact with the pencil "lead" and the Sugru (a moldable silicone that dries hard in 24 hours) will provide water proofing.

Reply to
news

That's an "artist's impression"

Copper electrodes will work too but will taint the water, with carbon electrodes some carbon decomposes at the anode but the CO2 formed has the same volume as the O2 it replaces so the text books ignore it when discussing stochiometry.

If the goal is to produce more than samples of the gasses, for improved results use stainless steel electrodes for electrolysis in a dilute caustic soda solution.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Run insulated wire all the way up in the test tube, then down to the pencil above the liquid level. Here:

test tube +------------+ | +--+ | | | | | | | P | | | E | | W N | |**I**C *****|

Reply to
ehsjr

Not shown in the pictures linked in the original post is that the setup starts with the test tubes full of water.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Not a bad idea.

I'm probably going to use plastic tubing leading to some kind of vessels rather than test tubes.

--
History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.

:-)

Good point. I could probably connect the wires to some bits of stainless with small bolts & nuts, then shrink-wrap over them.

--
No sport is less organized than Calvinball!
Reply to

Does that make a difference?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

only if the goal of the looping the wire round to the top like that was to keep it dry

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

That looks like fun stuff, thanks.

--
"Gonzo, is that the contract from the devil?"
"No, Kermit, it's worse than that. This is the bill from special

What would happen with zinc-plated steel (bolts, for example)?

--
The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency.
Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at

probably be pretty messy, unplated steel would be better.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

The zinc will probably get involved. Remember the copper/lemon juice/zinc battery from grade school science?

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Well, I was tinkering around with a scrap bit of stainless steel rod (unthreaded) & trying to figure out how to attach a wire to it so I could shrink-wrap the connection; then came up with the idea of a stainless steel bolt & an eye crimp; then realized I only have (AFAIK) zinc-plated & brass bolts, no stainless ones.

--
The three-martini lunch is the epitome of American efficiency.
Where else can you get an earful, a bellyful and a snootful at
the same time?                             [Gerald Ford, 1978]
Reply to
Adam Funk

I figured that would probably be the case, but it doesn't hurt to ask (usually).

--
Civilization is a race between catastrophe and education.
                                              [H G Wells]

silver solder if you're equipped, borrow a spot welder for 20 seconds, plate the end with copper and solder to that, even a bullet type connector as used in auto electrics.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Checking my Rolodex to see if I know anyone with a spot welder...

Thanks again for the tips.

--
Master Foo said: "A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like
a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers