See Bill Sloman, as I stated South of France being radioactive does not bother the French anymore, it is normal.

In 2002, I had the body mechanics do a triple bypass on my inside plumbing. After I recovered, the cardiologist decided to run a "Thallium Stress Test" (which was actually done with technetium). They injected me with radioactive whatever, ran the tests, and warned me not be too intimate for about 12 hours.

I had my Korean War era Geiger counter with me, but didn't have the guts to take it into the hospital. I've created havoc with it (such as in a supermarket after Chernobyl) in the past and didn't want to deal with the inevitable hassles. So, I get out to the car, turn it on, and find that it's pegged on the highest scale. Nifty.

Some of my customer are conveniently located near the hospital. Technicium 99 has a half life of 6 hours. If I was going to terrorize my friends and customers, I would have to move fast. It was lots of fun, but I also learned a few odd things about people and radioactivity.

When I fired up the Geiger counter, many members of the younger generations didn't have a clue what the clicking meant. Few had even seen a Geiger counter. Apparently, they don't teach radioactivity in the skools any more. Most of them asked "what's that noise"? Duh.

However, anyone over about 50 knew exactly what the high rate clicking meant and usually jumped back several feet in horror. One older gentleman nearly fell over backwards in his chair because he couldn't get out of the way fast enough. The baby boomers all had some experience with radiation in the skools during the early daze of the cold war. The younger generations have not.

Incidentally, before terrorizing my friends and customers, I did a rough calculation of the exposure and found that I had received a dose of roughly a months worth of allegedly safe radiation exposure (500 milli-rems). No way is a few minutes of that going to adversly affect anyone. (5,000 milli-rems/year is considered safe).

I also had a substantial number of people ask me "Why do you have a Geiger counter". I didn't catch the significance of the question until somewhat later, when I realized that they suspected that I was conducting dangerous radioactive experiments at home.

One problem with radioactivity is that the units of measure are generally confusing to the GUM (great unwashed masses). I had no idea if 74Kg of natural uranium was trivial or devastating until AFTER I ran the calculations and comparisons. Most fail to distinguish between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. I get that all the time in the wireless and wi-fi newsgroups. I suspect the media has a similar problem.

Ominous looking sign on my wall: "Danger 1,000,0000 ohms" with a 1M resistor taped to the sign.

Light reading:

The book is well worth reading, even though it's full of intentional inaccuracies and omissions intended to prevent other aspiring Scouts from trying to duplicate the same experiments.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Do you really *like* herrings?

John

(or

compared

yearly

Stay out of old destroyed tanks and you'll be fine. Stay away from bricks and old colored ceramics, too. And don't cook with sea salt.

John

You'll probably like it even less after you find out that it's sometimes *RAW* herring. Think of it as Dutch sushi. I grew up on the stuff so it's no big deal. The pickeling, raw onions, and sour cream kinda kill the fishy taste:

Looking in the fridge, I have several plastic tubs of Lascco "Sour Cream Herring Fillet". (Los Angeles Smoking & Curing Company).

(On the right under Herring Salads). Hmmm... radioactivity isn't listed under the nutritional info. If you don't like the herring, the plastic tubs are resealable and can be used to store hardware and components.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Herring in sour cream! Yummy!!

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

Due to excessive spam, gmail, googlegroups, UAR, and AIOE blocked!

the French anymore,

for the next 1000 years,

Topsoil contains several tonnes per sq km of undepleted Uranium

--
Dirk

Remote Viewing classes in London
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

There's plenty more that's hot:

Most of these can only barely be detected with a common Geiger counter. You'll need a scintillation counter, which is more sensitive.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

It is absolutely excellent, for example with the Northern German dish of Labskaus. Of course you have to overcome the optical illusion. It looks as if someone just had an upchuck situation:

We do that about once a month or so. Herring out here ain't the same as where Jan lives but it's ok. The way it's pickled in Europe the FDA guys would come waltzing in immediately.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Would have prevented Sloman?

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming' sheep.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I thought he was referring to the use of DU ammo. See: "Depleted Uranium Weapons and International Law: A Precautionary Approach," edited by Avril McDonald, Jann K. Kleffner and Brigit C. A. Toebes. That is a 2008 book providing an in-depth analysis of international legal aspects on using DU ammo. Also in August 2002, there was also a report out by the UN subcommission identifying laws breached by the use of DU shells. If you want, I suppose I could track down a copy for you to read up on.

While the Pentagon has admitted that 320 metric tons of DU were left on the battlefield after the first Gulf war, Russian military experts argued 1000 metric tons as a more accurate figure. Each may be biased in their assessments, of course, so perhaps somewhere between those two figures would be a safer bet.

Also in 1991, almost a million DU rounds were fired in Iraq, close to a net of 2700 tons of DU, I believe. The UK Atomic Energy Authority reported out an estimate back then that some half-million additional deaths would occur by 2000, due to radioactive debris left in the desert. No idea if any of that was confirmed or just someone making guesses. But it was the UK AEA making the statement, so you have to assume that at least _some_ informed thought went into the statement, even if it was no more than an educated guess. Suggests more than 1 death, anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Lead bullets would have left more dangerous debris.

John

message

(or

compared

yearly

And don't visit Scotland. Or most other countries for that matter. Even better, buy one of those sea islands in Dubai, should be very save. But as you said, don't go swimming. Of course that only works if none of the dudes in other countries go berserk and push the button.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I can't debate the science. I don't have a comprehensive view and it takes one to have an informed opinion.

Just wanted to point out what I suspected Jan meant with the term 'U war crimes.' Apparently, there are some strictures in law in place already. Perhaps there should be for lead bullets, too. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

bother the French anymore,

for the next 1000 years,

[Q] How much dirt is in a square kilometer? [A] None. A square km is infinitely thin.

Plagerizing:

Natural Radioactivity in soil

How much natural radioactivity is found in a volume of soil that is 1 square mile, by 1 foot deep? The following table is calculated for this volume (total volume is 7.894 x 105 m3) and the listed activities. It should be noted that activity levels vary greatly depending on soil type, mineral make-up and density (~1.58 g/cm3 used in this calculation). This table represents calculations using typical numbers.

| Natural Radioactivity by the Square Mile, 1 Foot Deep | Uranium 0.7 pCi/g ( 25 Bq/kg) 2,200 kg 0.8 curies (31 GBq) | Thorium 1.1 pCi/g ( 40 Bq/kg) 12,000 kg 1.4 curies (52 GBq) | Potassium 40 11. pCi/g (400 Bq/kg) 2000 kg 13. curies (500 GBq) | Radium 1.3 pCi/g ( 48 Bq/kg) 1.7 g 1.7 curies (63 GBq) | Radon 0.17 pCi/g ( 10 kBq/m3) 11 µg 0.2 curies (7.4 GBq) | Total: >17 curies (>653 GBq)

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There is a joke to made about irrational countries without enough brains to wipe the terrorists it knows about. When Dubbya took his attention away from Osama ben Laden and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan - who were a threat - to invade Irak (which wasn't, as everybody except Dubbya and his crew knew at the time) he was definitely taking his eye off the ball. Al Gore has spelled it out in his fine diatribe

but he's the last man to make a joke out of it.

There has to be something irresistably comic about an intelligent man diverting the resources of the most powerful country in world to the humilation of a tin-pot dictator of a tin-pot republic in the Middle East for no better reason than a visceral dislike, but the incidental

- pointless - deaths of a few hundred thousand bit players and spear carriers makes it difficult to produce a really rib-tickling punch line.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

ltner"

message

he

ous.

killed (or

low compared

die yearly

Bopal,

Scotland is mostly built on granite, so radon in the basement is a real health risk, if you live long enough.

The Scots, being rational people, have acted to minimise their exposure by adopting a life style that minimises their chances of dying of radiation-induced cancers - they don't eat green vegetables and they do eat lots of saturated fats, while smoking and drinking to excess, which all tend to kill them off before the radon can get them.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Koltner"

message

killed (or

compared

yearly

Bopal,

My principal lineage is MacTavish ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Due to excessive spam, gmail, googlegroups, UAR, and AIOE blocked!

Except it's just come to light that a substantial nuclear "stash" from Iraq was quietly moved to Canada last week, for disposal.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Due to excessive spam, gmail, googlegroups, UAR, and AIOE blocked!

What law?

John

I'm not one to ask about nuances, so I'll repeat myself. See: "Depleted Uranium Weapons and International Law: A Precautionary Approach," edited by Avril McDonald, Jann K. Kleffner and Brigit C. A. Toebes, June 2008. It has an in-depth analysis of international legal aspects on using DU ammo. I also mentioned that in August 2002, there was also a report out by the UN subcommission identifying laws breached by the use of DU shells. If interested, google it? I'm not, because it is already enough to tell me that the subject has some content to discuss for those interested in digging deeper.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan