See Bill Sloman, as I stated South of France being radioactive does not bother the French anymore, it is normal.

See Bill Sloman, as I stated South of France being radioactive does not bother the French anymore, it is normal.

It is 'only' 30000 liters of non enriched (oh well :-) ) uranium. So if you plan a holiday to Avignon or plan to eat something produced there for the next 1000 years, dont.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the French anymore,

the next 1000 years,

It was "Liquid containing traces of unenriched uranium" and "some of the solution ran into two rivers." What constitutes "traces"?

Doesn't sound like armageddon to me. I doubt it will statistically produce one milli-cancer. Natural radiation is everywhere.

Coal mines kill people, and burning coal releases radiation into the air. People die on oil rigs. Tankers run aground. Energy is dangerous.

John

On a sunny day (Wed, 09 Jul 2008 06:27:16 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

the French anymore,

for the next 1000 years,

Well, it is also here::

30000 liters with 12g per liter makes 36 kg non-depleted, for you to calculate how much bad stuff is in there, and it will radiate for millions of year. The river will take it to the north-sea, where my herrings come from, the plants will absorb it and it will end up in the grapes and the French wines, basically why very old wines are better ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

bother the French anymore,

for the next 1000 years,

Not for long!

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Martin Griffith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

at what LEVEL of radioactivity? compared to what background level?? it's most likely that the radiation level is negligible.

"OOOHHH,OOOHHH,RADIATION!!!! OOOHHH,OOOOHH. We're all gonna die,or get cancer,OOOHHH,OOOOHHH."

I suspect some basements have more REAL radiation hazard from radon gas leaking from the ground,than this spill.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

On a sunny day (9 Jul 2008 16:09:07 GMT) it happened Jim Yanik wrote in :

If you had cared to read the links, or the nws even, you would know it started at 1000 times, and now is at 100 times.

Everybody is going to die one way or the other,

Sure, some die from maybe their basement's radiation ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I was surprised to learn that it's estimated the Chernobyl disaster killed (or will kill) about 10,000 people. That's horrible, of course, but low compared to other "technology-related deaths" -- four times that many people die yearly on U.S. highways, many, many times have died from dam breaches, the Bopal, India disaster, etc.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

On a sunny day (Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:32:52 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

And one million from among other US ammo of depleted urnium in Iraq.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the French anymore,

the next 1000 years,

Well, let's play with the numbers.

The current uranium leakage stands at 74kg of natural uranium. That will certainly change as political pressure is applied. Natural uranium (0.72%) runs about 1500 kg per curie. It belches mostly alpha particles, which have miserable penetration properties. You have to ingest natural uranium before it will do any (theoretical) harm. It's the isotopes of common biological elements that really do the damage.

So, the 74kg leaked will produce 0.05 curies of radiation or 5*10^10 pico curies, which is not a very large amount.

By comparison, the common brick contains about 1*10^5 pico curies/kg. Each brick weights about 2.7kg or 3.7*10^4 pico curies per brick. So, if you worked in a building made from 1.35 million such bricks, you would get exactly the same radiation exposure as if the building were made with the 74kg of leaked natural uranium. Assuming the building were a 4 sided cube, at 60 bricks per square meter, that would be 75 meters per side, which is not unusually large:

I would need to know the volume through which the uranium is dispersed in order to estimate the exposure.

Radiation exposure by source (for US):

54% from radon gas. Avoid basements.

(Someone please check my numbers as I was interrupted about a dozen times while writing this mess).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

bother the French anymore,

for the next 1000 years,

"An additional 4.6 billion tonnes of uranium are estimated to be in sea water (Japanese scientists in the 1980s showed that extraction of uranium from sea water using ion exchangers was feasible).[37][38]"

So relax.

John

Closer to zero. DU is not especially dangerous. It's even less active than natural uranium which is, umm, natural.

John

the French anymore,

for the next 1000 years,

I had a friend who lived in Opelousas, Louisiana, and he had a geiger counter. So we walked around town looking for radiation. The local post office, red bricks, was very hot.

Jan seems to have radiation phobia. Lots of people do.

John

On a sunny day (Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:42:44 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

A depleted uranium bullet kills just like a lead one. It was ment as a joke, if you can joke about U war crimes.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:15:05 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

OK, I will just refrain from eating herrings and drinking wine :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

bother the French anymore,

for the next 1000 years,

Same for the huge natural rocks many houses in Scotland are built with. Geiger counters begin to really rattle in those. I lived in one for a while. Oh, oh ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:46:27 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Well, I worked in a big linear accelerator project. Some radioactve material was used. Shortly after I left, the place turned out to be completely contaminated, the doorman's cat hat misformed kittens, etc..

Did not surprise me in the least, the way they managed the stuff. Now it may be nothing to you, but if you had a kid born with some strange birth defect you would likely reconsider.

You'd be dead scared if you heard the stories I did hear when I worked there, how the stuff was handled, and I have first hand experience too.

Ignorance, and over estmating the way scientists take their responsibilities is a dangerous thing in the real world.

It has been for radioactive material ever since that big US project in WW2.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, much better against hard targets.

"U"? Does that mean me?

John

The only joke is the spineless countries and individuals without enough gut to wipe out all terrorists.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(or