Odd looking capacitor

I camera-phoned this at Excess Solutions today. The text is something like Pflanzenal schulzart ohne kappe IP6s

The cap has a cable attached to it with two wires. I was thinking motor starting cap, but I suspect not. Any ideas?

Reply to
miso

My technical German is poor. But I think pflanzen is "plant." So I'm kind of thinking that phlanzenal means some kind of vegetable alkaloid (chemical thing.) Schulzart seems like "school-like care," maybe a better way is "protection?" I do know Ohne means "without," and kappe is cap. I don't know what IP6s is for.

So kind of reading between the lines (for someone so rusty at German) it's a warning to make sure you have protection against vegetable alkaloids if the cap is missing?

No idea.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

** The cap is marked as an MKP type - so of polypropylene di-electric.

The voltage rating is 430 volts AC.

Can be used for many purposes including motor start/run and power factor correction.

IP64 = moisture proof and dust proof.

The rest of the Kraut speak is a brand name.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

or

These look similar, so you are probably on track. I'm accustomed to those small boxy MKPs.

miso

Is the date code 25/05/21.... 1925/1921?? is that possible?

Reply to
TTman

"TTman"

** That ain't a date code - f****it.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Sat, 3 Oct 2009 20:12:56 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com" wrote in :

Looks like a bipolar cap used to get a third phase in electric motors. You will find those in many places.

470V AC / 20 uF
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just in addition to what has already been said: The capacitor has actually two "Schutzart" ratings (see

) One is IP64, and the second ("Ohne Kappe": without cap) looks like IP00. "Pflanzenöl" means vegetable oil.

herbert

Reply to
Herbert Knapp

Hmm, I didn't know they use vegetable oil in caps.

It could be one, that's how caps in German washing machines or dishwashers look like. But the photo is way too fuzzy and out of focus to say for sure.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Apparently:

So I'm

Babelfish says the rest is "Pflanzenal schooltenderly without cap IP6s"

Not sure what "schooltenderly" means...

I'm guessing IP6s is a model number or something.... "IP6S - Industry Pak (IP) modules Manufacture: EMK Elektronic IP Module"

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

It means taking care of things like you would in a school environment, I think. School is Schule, in German. I think they just dropped the 'e' in pasting it together with zart (light-fingered delicateness, I kind of imagine it as, since it is often used in that kind of context.) "School delicateness" is how I read it. Being protective, is how I interpreted it in that context, which then forced me to imagine that phlanzenal is some kind of plant alkaloid or other related chemical to watch out for.

Wish my German was better, here. It's not. Joerg would know, though.

Okay. As I said, I had no idea at all.

I get to exercise my German so rarely these days (used to listen to DeutscheWelle back when I had a shortwave set up), that I like to take every free opportunity to push myself a little when I get one like this.

Of course, none of this helps the OP much.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

OK, next time I'll bring a point and shoot instead of using the cameraphone. ;-)

Reply to
miso

I guess you both have since it's "Usenet" :)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I thought it was the French said that.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

In this case it would have sufficed to turn the cap so the writing faces the camera phone and to hold a hand above the cap so the sheen from the ceiling fluorescents goes away :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, some people do.

Reply to
ratman

Actually, I couldn't get rid of that shine. Once I was away from the overhead lights, there wasn't enough light to take a photograph. And using the built in flash would be worse than the overhead lights.

Reply to
miso