RoHS AKA Woah, Hoss!

[snip]

You don't see many American products here in America either.

Nobody in their right mind buys American-made cars... the good ones come from Japan and Germany.

Hardly any consumer electronics are made in the USA.

However California wines are quite in demand, right up there with Australian... French wines are over-priced swill ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On Mon, 29 May 2006 18:56:11 +0200, "Frank Bemelman" Gave us:

Who owns those Chinese, Taiwanese, and polynesian manufacturing facilities?

Where do you think your hard drives come from? Your DVDs?

Sure they suffer, but in the long run it is us that suffers most.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

That's why they have been so quick to jump on the bandwagon. Excessive costs or lack of investment funds isn't their problem, it's more OVERinvestment and overcapacity cutting into profits.

But there are reasons why RoHS makes sense, at least in Europe. There really are quite toxic lead levels in all landfill leachate, according to C., but in North America the landfills are more tightly regulated (and have been so for longer) so less of it gets out into groundwater. Also the population densities are higher in much of Europe, and they are more dependent on groundwater for drinking water as opposed to surface water.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

And France I bet, with Renault, Citroen, Peugeot etc. All very good car makers. We see some Chinese car makers trying to sell here now, the quality is not very high, but at half or 2/3 the price you can't complain too much.

None in Europe too. There were a few TV's made here in Europe, but all these factories are shut down, one by one.

The French have dropped their prices substantially over the last years, as they had lost quite a bit of the market to South Africa, Australia, US, Chile, you name it. So you can try a bottle or two of French wine, see if the price matches the quality ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

I've read the the quality series is now Japanese, US, European, with the europeans behind on reliable electricals. But I still prefer German cars for the way they feel.

John

"Roy L. Fuchs" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

market.

Very likely, but not just because of Rohs. China has enough dollars in the bank to buy the entire US and pay for it in cash. They have an impressive 'knife' on the table, so to speak. Luckilly no desire to actually use it, only guarded safely to secure their independency...

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Right there, Spehro. Stop and give us data on this lead filled leachate. Where is this data from? Where did they find it and who found it. How much of this lead came from the metalic form on PCB's? All this data MUST exist if Rohs makes so much sense. Show it to me, please.

Reply to
Brian

They can always "claim" it works.

Reply to
Brian

On the contrary, there was plenty of evidence it couldn't work. Remember, barring all these arguements, this whole Rohs thing will result it an INCREASE in pollution. Thats the BEST that can happen.

Reply to
Brian

California is one crap hole we can't rope in, they belong in the EU. Liberal treehugging goofballs w/o a clue!

Reply to
Brian

I am a contract manufacturer. We have both. MOST customers who are unaffected by Rohs DEMAND we stay with lead. And we ARE building different varieties for different areas. It is ALREADY coming true.

The slide out solder pot is selling like crazy! One line, two pots.

Reply to
Brian

And then we'll need more regulations!

John

You are kidding, right ?:-)

Very damn few of those brands here.

...Jim Thompson

The reason is because of the French keep messing up the electronics. German cars, except for Mercedes (but they are starting to learn their lesson), shouldn't have any electrical problems.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Some of the Japanese cars handle very nicely indeed. I don't think German cars are any more reliable than American cars, and the parts tend to be more expensive.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:20:50 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

You're an idiot. Fucktards like you are hurting our economy.

That's pretty retarded as well.

First correct thing you have said yet.

Fuck ze french!... Government. The people are fine, and so is their wine. Strike three, you are a total retard.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:32:34 +0200, "Frank Bemelman" Gave us:

That's bullshit.

Goes hand in hand with their pirate like take it as you please mentality toward IP.

Let them step across that same line and see who wins.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

taken as

reliability

whiskers and lack

Melting point can be altered via alloying tin with other metallic elements. Isn't it interesting that the alloy with lead seems to kill the whisker problem?

Reply to
Robert Baer

work

taken as

reliability

reason for lead

of ppl

Not *every* small company; if mine must use tin/silver to get a high MP solder to achieve 400C reliable electronics, then i am sure there are other small companies that are in the same boat. When a small company is a sole source for certain needs, that company will continue to survive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

In the downhole electronics business, such requirements are "typical".

Reply to
Robert Baer