RoHS AKA Woah, Hoss!

Because otherwise you'll be shut out of a huge market.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Well, nuclear power kind of shoots a hole in that.

Similar reasons of lead free, for that matter. A good comparison.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

The US should either ban the importation of anything containing lead free solder or put a very heavy tax on it to ensure that it is properly recycled after its intentionally shortened life. If foreign companies don't want to build with real solder, they can sell strictly to the EU.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Brian, I have to produce under the lead free rule. There is no sense in argueing. I have the advantage that the ambient conditions for my products is lab grade, no temperature cycling from -40 to 80 or such, just about constant 20 to 25 degrees. And at these conditions, the lead free stuff works. I'm fine.

Lead in the petrol wasn't an issue up to the 80ties or so. I very well remember having filled the tank with leaded petrol for half the price than now. There were also stories going round that unleded was harmfull to the engine. It wasn't. I always filled leadfree as soon as it was available. All my cars were out of order for rust or accidents far before the engine felt the missing lead.

Why do you have to pollute, just to save a few bucks ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

work

Military is a small market. Small volumes, small variety. forget them.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

** If the temperature gets high enough, then the solder can get soft or flow, allowing parts to fall off. I have seen this. Furthermore pure tin *has* a serious problem: whiskers that can and do cause shorts.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Oil 4 Less LLC is a one-man shop that had to use a higher temperature solder *not* because of RoHS, but the fact that our products must withstand and operate to 400F.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Pick them off hte street where many are dumpped; at least 30 percent are still useable in cars...and if not collect the dollar return value.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Oh, my! How politically incorrect. I love it! Is California next on the embargo?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Yup. And cost too.

I wonder what ppl will start saying when their nice new LCD tvs stop working after 2-3 yrs.

Graahm

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Except maybe in areas where the water is slighly acidic ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Since the original intent of RoHS in respect of lead-free electronics was a lame environmental one - to score an 'own goal' wrt energy use simply highlights its stupidity.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

taken as

reliability

Tin has inherent issues that can't be solved such as melting point , tin whiskers and lack of surface tension.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

an

work

taken as

reliability

I fail to see why you think the some problems are likely to be solved. On reason for lead in solder is precisely to avoid tin whiskers.

And every small company too that'll ended up going to the wall. I aleady know of ppl planning to quit the industry on account of this.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That is *entirely* a different matter. You seem to have a touching faith that

*they* will fix it.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Since when do nuclear reactors have to be bounced around in vehicles for example ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Why is there no sense in that ?

I'm alright Jack in other words. Other ppl aren't so lucky.

It was to some engines.

It's not polluting. The crazy thing is that the WEEE legislation provides for recycling anyway so the damn stuff won't end up in landfill *anyway* !!!!!

In fact WEEE makes more sesne than RoHS.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's hardly typical !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

On Sun, 28 May 2006 23:56:57 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

Hear, HEAR! There, there!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 29 May 2006 02:21:14 +0200, Rene Tschaggelar Gave us:

work

You're an idiot if you think that. The VAX VME market alone is thousands of card designs, many of which cost tens of thousands of dollars.

That's just the cots end.

The actual mil spec equipment that still has to be made mil spec encompasses yet another several thousand circuit card assemblies.

Not a small market by any means.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs