"safe" recycling of PCBs?

From: Harvey Miller To: snipped-for-privacy@IPC.ORG, snipped-for-privacy@ec.europa.eu Cc: Robert Baer , Joseph Fjelstad , ray , John Burke , Walt Custer Subject: "Safe" recycling Printed Circuits to reclaim older--does that really justify Lead-Free? Date: Jul 17, 2006 7:28 AM

The latest lead-free rationalization claims that it makes recycling "safer". None other than Dr. Ron Lasky says so. One unintended consequence of l-f will demonstrate again how false is that assertion.

Silver in the mix will finally incentivize commercially viable recycling, that is true. But the enormous mass of legacy electronics with tin-lead solder is all around us. Even today, penetration of lead-free solder is probably still less than 50%. Some boards with lead will find their way into the same recycling plants as boards with silver.

Boards will be ground up and and the metal content melted out for separation of silver,lead, etc. Companies like Noranda have been doing this for many years. But there's an better example, primary silver extraction.

How is the tiny component of silver separated from the preponderant lead when they come all mixed from the mine? That the way it's done and with today's pollution controls, done safely to personnel and to the environment. Propagators of this latest lead-free lie will have a hard time proving otherwise.

The real toll to the environment of their lead-free efforts will be an enormous increase in mining of silver and tin to replace lead. They have the gall to claim that they are care about safety or the environment.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Grinding up pcbs to recover some silver doesn't sound very 'green' to me ! Indeed I'm sure it's very polluting.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I would have thought the price of silver will have to rise a long way to make it a profitable exersise. When all the gansters in America have use silver bullets like the lone ranger recycling dead bodies may be more profitable:)

Reply to
cbarn24050

There's a bonus.. you can shoot vampires too :)

Reply to
pbdelete

This makes me wonder two things:

1) Does silver make tin whiskers go away? (ie it solves the RoHS problems) 2) Where can one buy this stuff?, cost?
Reply to
pbdelete

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:44:14 +0000, Robert Baer wrote: ...

About 20 years ago, I met a guy who bought surplus boards by the pound, and burned them just to recover the gold.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, warewolves.

For vampires's it's wood.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

and with all that freed up lead which no one else want's, the Israelis can lower the cost per kids corpse in their Lebanese adventure.

Reply to
mike

Nah - wooden bullets would just splinter as they were fired!!!

Reply to
ian field

One document I read concerning the RoHS & WEEE directives stated that in future bismuth may be added to solders to lower the melting temperature, but for the time being any risk of lead contamination must be avoided at any cost. If this is true then the WEEE directive is unachievable due to legacy equipment containing lead/tin solder!!!

Reply to
ian field

Another unemployable Frog sheds his brain. PLONK!

...Jim Thompson

But if it's an eripmav, you put a steak through its heart. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Rare or over-cooked?

Reply to
Robert Baer

They didn't say. )-;

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

You can't write it like that! - they have no reflection :-)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen