Swatch kills RoHS

May 18, 2006 THE SWATCH GROUP IS GOING BACK TO LEAD SOLDER-PRECURSOR FOR THE ELECTRONICS WORLD?

Yes, folks, it's true. The major Swiss, major world watchmaker, with going-on $4B sales, one quarter of world watch production, diligently did the lead-free R&D for 2 years, went into lead-free production 13 months in advance of the RoHS deadline, and then disaster. Tin whiskers got them, shorting circuits both in the quartz crystal resonator and fine pitch electronic systems. Now the Swatch Group is applying for an exemption from RoHS so they can go back to lead. Between you and me, I'll bet that if we could get into one of their 180 factories we'd see good old 63-37-- that is, 37% lead-being used right now. The "Requested Exemption" came from the legal department, 16 pages in the English language edition, complete with tin whisker pictures. And you know that the Technical Adaption Committee, set up by the European parliament's Environmental Commission to shepherd the transition to lead-free, etc will advise granting the exemption. The Swatch Group even tentatively "offered" to consider using the 90% tin alloy which is allowed under RoHS.

The critical dimension at which tin whisker shorting became a production- line- stopping problem was 0.8mm, that is, 32 mils-it might as have been a meter in electronic interconnections these days. So the Swatch Group has given us a preview of what we will see en masse. For those who escape tin whiskers, lead-free solder has some other treats in store. There are Kirkendall voids-they cause open circuits as copper diffuses into tin without lead alloyed, leaving voids behind. There are Conductive Anodic Filaments, leakage paths in the PCB, a mechanism accelerated by the high processing temperatures of lead-free. Dongkai Shangguan of Flextronics has put a book together describing these lead-free solder problems and more: Lead-free Solder Interconnect Reliability (Hardcover) Dongkai Shangguan (Editor) Publisher : ASM International Copyright Year : 2005 Number of Pages : 350

The Requested Exemption from the Swatch Group has pictures of tin whiskers. They used 99.5Sn 0.5Cu, no Ag, so not the SAC alloy, which also contains silver. But the EU Commission dare not mandate them to use Ag. The tin-copper alloy is generally used for wave soldering and lead-free HASL. Besides they know Ag is a biocide. Mine silver and you usually get lots more lead. I think that the exemption will be granted for the following reasons.

1) It comes from the company's legal department and if the Swatch Group is forced to stop making watches...I don't think I have to go on, because that is almost the way they put it. 2) The Environmental Commission has a lot on its plate-constructive initiatives. Why risk egg on its face? Why fight in court or in the court of public opinion for an ecologically, environmentally damaging ban on lead in solder? Stavros Dimas, the Environmental Commissioner, has already acknowledged that lead-free will require greatly increased energy. 3) WEEE, Waste from Electrical and Electronic Equipment already mandates recycling populated printed circuit boards, somewhat as lead-acid batteries are recycled now. So the ban on electronic lead was always over-kill.

In conclusion, I'd like to make 2 nominations for the Electronic Diogenes Award of 2006: 1) the Swatch Group and 2) John Burke of

snipped-for-privacy@rohsusa.com. He has created a blog site that enables the thousands of engineers who have been muted by the lead-free steamroller to speak out about the mis-conceived ban. Most still have to remain anonymous for now because of fear and company pressures. That may be changing. The award for John should be a Swiss watch-one of the

20 brands made by the Swatch Group, a top brand Longines, Omega, or Tissot. I'm going to make my own award today to the Swatch Group. I'm going out to buy a Swatch. Harvey Miller snipped-for-privacy@fabfileonline.com 650-630-1192 cell 650-328-4550 land
Reply to
Robert Baer

Over here we have a saying: The first will be the last. Most companies that have switched to lead-free soldering succesfully have waited for the process to mature and learn from mistakes made by others.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

As far as I can tell, the process is far from mature and this whole RoHS endeavour was initiated without regard to the consequences on relying on immature technology.

Swatch say they are experiencing the tin whiskers problem. If so, and I see no reason to disbelieve them, then almost the whole elctronics industry will suffer the same problems. Interesting to see that they're having trouble at 0.8mm pitches.

" It becomes clear that this exemption, when granted, will be the basis for many more, and they will be permanent. "

There are also a significant number of applications for exemption yet to be even considered despite the 1st July introduction !

Interesting also to see that a number are using the need for a long product life as a reason for their claim.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Reply to
carneyke

After electronics fails because of whiskers and other lead-free defects, guess what happens to it?

So, ROHS may considerably increase the amount of e-waste.

John

suffer

even

We (the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation) seem to have a reliable lead-free process, but it took a *lot* of effort and expense--dozens or hundreds of man-years from some very smart people. Besides tin whiskers, the big problem is the formation of brittle intermetallic compounds under temperature cycling, leading to brittle fracture, pad erosion, you name it. The solutions involve very specific alloy formulations, pad metallurgies, and non-plated solder.

A huge waste of effort, mandated by bureaucrats who don't know the difference between rhetoric and reality.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, and all those girlies who use panty pads. Oh that's wrong, they don't get blob weeks when they are on the pill... do they?

Anyway... If they are on the pill then that seriously fucks up the water source and makes fish gay and if they are on the blob then that fucks up the water treatment plant.

Plus they all use mobile phones to natter at each other and store up stress for you later and take the two week challenge to make their bums smaller.

So, where is the section in RoHS that deals with Girlies?

Not there is it?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

"One is blinded to the fundamental uselessness of their products by the sense of achievement one feels in getting them to work at all. In other words, their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws."

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It definitely will. Recently I had at least 3 light bulbs die at first ever turnon - had bought a dozen package - their solder joints were such a mess they had inhaled air. The package read "made in Germany" (osram), no specific RoHS marking. This entire RoHS nonsense is so stupid it just cannot be made up only by idiot-bureaucrats. Sounds like a well done job by some non EU intelligence services, some sort of operation to kill the EU electronics industry. I guess the easiest part has been to take advantage of the moron-based political "class" - as they call it nowadays - in Europe (to my experience, this "class" consists of 3-component people - the components being mouth, gut and ass).

Dimiter

John Lark> >

suffer

even

Reply to
Didi

Ah ! Is *that* the reason ? I've had something similar.

Especially the smaller companies.

As I love reminding ppl, the EU Commision is appointed not elected and is essentially unaccountable.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

That's one of my favourites from So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish--and is quoted at the head of Chapter 20 of my book. It's more appropriate for the bureaucrats in this instance--they're the real "bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first ones against the wall when the revolution comes". (My other favourite from that one is the biscuit duel in the train station.)

Our servers have a specified availability of 5 nines--a maximum downtime of 5 minutes per year--so having something like a backplane solder joint fail is Very Bad News. You can't fix that by failover or plugging in a new blade.

We're totally paranoid about field failures, for which our customers thank us if they ever think about it.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We have a klunky old IBM file server, running NT, that been sitting under a table gathering dust - and hosting all the company's files - for about 6 years.

John

[RoHS, the Eu and all that]

essentially

That's true, but the Commission is only a part of the EU. The European Parliament is an excellent example of how democratic government

*should* work. A bazillion different parties, groups and viewpioints who take forever to reach any kind of consensus. That's representative government in action, and it's beautiful. It won't last.

Tim

--
-
Reply to

Hello Graham,

essentially

And that's a hardcore problem. They don't write to their representatives because it most likely wouldn't have much effect. I know that some EU folks aren't so fond of the US but I must say that we here in the US do have the better government structure, IOW a quite well functioning democracy. When we write to our rep they respond and if the case has merit they'll get on it pronto. They want to be re-elected next time.

The other puzzler is the press. I am surprised how silent the European press is about RoHS all that. In the US they'd be all over the bureaucrats by now.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Phil,

Reminds me of the "pressfit" days. A rep came and said that this new solder-less pressfit method would guarantee 99.95% good contacts. Our motherboard had about 6000 contacts. So when he did his spiel in front of the big brass I raised my hand and asked him: "That would mean that three contacts are statistically open. Can you tell me which ones that would be?" After that you could have heard a pin drop in that meeting room.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

essentially

Exactly so and I also have had an insight into how the IEC sets standards too and it doesn't impress. Hence the f*** up wrt IEC1000-3-2 and CE.

I get the impression it works ok at that level. In the UK we want politicians cheap so typically 2 MPs have to share a 'broom cupboard' office. No proper staff at all. Wives often deputise as secretaries.

The press hasn't a clue about technical things.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I'd nearly forgotten about compliant pin technology. Insertion forces seemed scary.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

We did a couple hundred big ugly 25-slot CAMAC crates with AMP pressfit card-edge connectors, and I can't recall having any problems.

John

essentially

I've never written to my Commissioner, but I wrote to my MEPs regarding software patents. They replied individually. The EP rejected the proposals for software patents.

All down to me personally, of course. OK, perhaps not, but it was an example of EU democracy in action. The bigwigs had been conned into thinking patenting any and every kind of software was good, but the people didn't want it. The people won.

Tim

--
-
Reply to

Hello Graham,

Here the press does. When they smell a rat they quickly secure some experts and get to the ground of it. Being first to put the finger into the wound sells a lot of papers.

There is another reason why press and news services are often better in the US: Feedback. I wouldn't know any TV station that doesn't have a clearly outlined channel for viewers to "snitch". And when you write to an editor you get a response. A couple weeks ago I did and had a detailed reply the very next day.