RoHS AKA Woah, Hoss!

The following is an authorized quote:

Subject: Refernce SB 50---Lead-free solder in Medical, Monitoring, and Control Equipment From: "Harvey Miller" Date: Thu, May 25, 2006 7:57 pm To: "Jackie Speier" (more) Cc: "Ray Rasmussen" (more) Priority: Normal Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version

Senators

I've attached two documents from ERA Technology of the UK. One is the final report to the European Commission on the subject categories. The shorter document is the preliminary summary.

Below are the reasons that they should engage your interest.

  1. A basic assumption of bills 2202 in the California Assembly and 50 in the Senate is that we should tie ourselves to decisions and time tables determined in the European Union parliament. The immediate scope would be EU-mandated lead-free solder in electronics, but the implications for loss of control by California are wider.

  1. ERA Technology is a private consultancy, based in the UK, with offices worldwide, that historically has played a role analogous to the National Academies in the U.S. In the case of the European RoHS directive, it serves as contractor, objective investigatory resource to guide policy. Their report raises red flags about banning tin-lead solder in the subject electronic equipments.

  2. Categories 8 and 9, as briefly defined in the Subject, are presently excluded from RoHS and the lead ban. Reliability need that ERA cites for smoke detectors, radiotherapy, defibrillators, aircraft black boxes, pollution analyzers, retail weighing, blood pressure instrumentation, pacemakers, medical imaging--is incontrovertible. Reliability may not seem to be so critical for RoHS-covered consumer electronics, or isn't it?

In other words, Senators, the brief report from ERA focuses on acute threats to life from banning lead in solder in the Subject electronic equipment. But thereby it raises questions about reliability of all lead-free electronics. For example, do you want to lose your cell phone after dropping it or do you want all computer systems to be at risk?

Lead-free solder has many intrinsic failure mechanisms; tin whiskers are most predominant. Lead-free solder is more damaging to the environment. Replacement alloy silver and copper are toxic and much more soluble in water than lead and its alloys. Solder uses 0.5% of all lead. Electronics can be recycled; the lead in electronics can be recycled.

I would be happy to provide much more evidence about unreliability of lead-free solder, as well as its potential environmental and ecological damage. Worst is environmental and human damage from mining more tin.

Shortening product life cannot be good for the environment. Increasing energy usage and CO2 emissions due to higher temperatures required for lead-free solder cannot be good for the environment.

The entire move to lead-free solder is a prime example of a well-intentioned measure with horrible unintended consequences.

You can find more at .

Harvey Miller Palo Alto

650-328-4550
Reply to
Robert Baer

carneyke

[snip wailing]

Considering that the process of having this law in europe has started about a decade ago and comes into effect in about a month, you're a bit late. You'd rather should have spent your time in solving the problems if it concerns you.

Writing mails to politicians accomplishes nothing.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

The engineers in the EU should have been fighting Rohs all the way, but they have a ahbit of supporting laws that help them artificially compete in the world marketplace. Were you guys over there all drunk when this was going thru?

Reply to
Brian

He's trying to stop it in California, not Europe. California is notoriously the most restrictive of our 50 states.

Reply to
mc

It is going to come anyway, sooner or later. The reasons are that electronic gadgets were becoming a commodity. We for example get a mobile phone for 1$. You can be sure that this 1$ phone is replaced every year. The japanese have solved the lead free a decade ago. I have no problems producing lead free. Even for the prototypes, I found a lead free tin wire that works. And for series production, I found some able producers.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

California is notoriously

I see. What is wrong with becoming competitive with the rest of the world again ?

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Nonsense.

Sure you can make it but reliability suffers. Which means shorter lifetime which means *more* waste and higher negative environmental impact.!

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I'm in New York, we are allowed to have guns and lead (unlike you). We make electronics with lead because it has to be reliable so your doesn't sell...........

Reply to
carneyke

On Sat, 27 May 2006 20:59:44 +0200, Rene Tschaggelar Gave us:

You're full of shit. We STILL get products from Japan that contain lead based solders.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 27 May 2006 21:03:18 +0200, Rene Tschaggelar Gave us:

What is retarded about touting lead based solders as being environmentally dangerous, when they are not?

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Why don't you guys use INGENUITY or other talents to become MORE PRODUCTIVE or perhaps just plain better at what you do? Why try to drag the whole world down to do it? Then to be so blatantly dishonest and claim it is being done to "save the world". Even NOT considering the money and unreliability and upfront costs, even if failure rates were the same, leadfree is a much bigger energy waster and polluter than lead could ever be in the small amounts used even in "commodity" electronics. I wish the rest of the world were strong enough to just say "screw you" and let you make crap for yourselves. I mean, its a temporary effect anyway. You will be ahead for a short time, then everyone else will surpass you because the EU is notoriously poor at everything, which is why you pull this crap in the first place!

My company can do lead free. While it costs my customers more, it is every bit as good as it can be when it leaves the door. However, I already know what will come out over time. FAILURES. It won't be because we did it wrong, it will be because the technology is wrong. That is why we will keep lead processes open for those in non-EU markets so they don't have to suffer due to the whole pile of rotten monkey nuts you guys have dumped on the world.

By the way, where the HELL is all the contamination you think is out there?!?!?

Reply to
Brian

If you want reliability, don't use any solder but weld the components to the PCB. The reason lead is used in solder is to lower the melting temperature. Tin is actually much tougher than lead. When components are designed to withstand the higher soldering temperature, there shouldn't be any problem with reliability. Components falling of boards sounds like a hoax to me.

I have a feeling this commotion is based on old, outdated information. Big companies like Philips have been using lead-free solder for years. If it would affect reliability, they wouldn't use it. They make billions of appliances every year. They don't want to get them back and get a bad reputation.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

It's going to be a lot like SMT. The marginal assembly shops and many small manufacturers will drag their feet, bitch and whine and find excuses not to change, while the larger manufacturers, virtually all component makers, and successful assembly shops all over the world have long solved what problems there are.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 28 May 2006 09:28:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) Gave us:

Come back after you have studied metallurgy a while, idiot.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 28 May 2006 09:28:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) Gave us:

We made products for philips, and we used standard processes. They have been buying our products for years. So, they DO use lead.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

This is an example of the elephant in the corner of the room, no one dares to notice the predominant lead component, the lead acid automobile battery. Exempt , Daft I call it:)

Reply to
dougfgd

Welded cordwood modules were quite popular unsed on the Apollo mission I recall. Not practical for SM and volume though. There again ...?

Reply to
dougfgd

The problems of reliability appear to be inherent though. Hence why comms/networking and the military have got exemptions. I see there's been an applicartion for pro-audio which may be based on the need for equipment to work for more than a few years.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

In this instance I have to agree with your comment.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear