ROHS++

John, after a crack like this, can I tell them one of your secrets that I discovered when I met you at the show with the refrigerator magnets?

And, actually, I thought bill.sloman's crack was rather clever, and it's just the sort of thing that sets off the Bushists and their ilk.

Thanks, Rich

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Come on, John, you've struck me as a fairly aware guy, which makes me wonder: Why you would call bill.sloman's characterization of his "silly-con"[1] joke as "mean-spirited", after seeing in public just how mean-spirited the neocons can get?

Thanks, Rich [1] And I'm the one who spoiled the pun for everyone, so don't blame bill.sloman for that, either!

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Sure, please do.

John

Yawn. More of your lame conspiracy theories, 2020?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Who was supposed to be conspiring with whom?

As for Jim antics - he admits it. Here is a quote from posting 36 in the thread OT: Atheist joke on Tues, Mar 28 2006 at 5:48 pm

"Nope. Since you have exhibited extreme anti-American behavior here in

this newsgroup I simply pointed out said behavior to ICE and a few of my friends within the FBI. "

At least that will have blown his credibility with the FBI and the ICE.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Radar technology... Without that, half the world would invade the US.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You'll find those all over Asia (and in our bathroom). In Malaysia it is often a piece of garden hose, in Indonesia it depends. The cheaper toilets have a shower head, the more expensive a bidet-like contraption. I'm still wondering how those people don't get their pants wet so I always carry toilet paper with me when visiting Asia.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Hello Nico,

That would make half the world illegal immigrants :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

MIT Radar Lab ??

...Jim Thompson

The Radiation Laboratory at MIT was set up as a direct consequence of the Tizard Mission. E.G. ' Taffy' Bowen ( 'inventor' of airborne radar and consequently early naval radar ) played a large role in its formation.

Moan about Wikipedia as much as you like btw. The facts are correct.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Which half?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Un bel giorno Robert Latest digitò:

How do you know? Were you going around asking "are you dirt or not"?

For the record, in Italy it is a basic hygiene principle, practically everyone uses bidets - not just women.

--
asd
Reply to

I think they're a great idea. Anyone who doesn't wash their bum after defecating is truly uncivilised.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

early

Radar was ready to happen. The Germans, Americans, and to a lesser extent the Japanese had active projects going pre-WWII. The British made two crucial technical contributions to microwave radar, the cavity magnetron and the advocacy of diode mixers, and of course the critical organizational and operational concepts, which the Germans never managed. The Varian brothers added the third key hardware element, the klystron, necessary as the receiver l.o. The RadLab made it all come together and, in the process, essentially invented modern electronics. The RadLab developed the critical pulsers, t/r switches, waveguide goodies, antennas, and signal processing/display electronics. The Brits were too beleaguered, and had too few resources, to develop mass-producable microwave radars, so they intelligently told us everything they knew and let us have at it.

It all worked out pretty well in the end.

Varian Inc is, on average, my biggest customer.

Stanford, especially Frederick Terman, didn't like Russel and pretty much seized credit for the klystron as soon as they realized it was important.

John

I also understand that many europeans, especially men, whole-body bathe and change their underware a lot less often than daily.

John

Tizard

early

I thought that klystrons were too noisy initially.

Perfectly true that we had a war to fight of course and the USA wasn't even involved in hostilities at that time. It was very well recognised by Tizard that the USA held the key to large scale manufacture with no trouble from enemy bombers either !

All interesting stuff.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Is that like Tupperware ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Vas that a gut Vizard, or a schlechtes Vizard? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Tizard

early

Not that I know of. The maggie had bad frequency drift, and it was the voltage tunability of the reflex klystron that allow a workable afc loop to be implemented in a superhet receiver, which, with the diode mixer, got the range up. WWII radars commonly got ranges that were within 20% of the absolute theoretical limits, pretty impressive given diode mixers feeding tube IFs.

John

early

Great books:

Watson-Watt, Three Steps to Victory

Bowen, Radar Days

Jones, Most Secret War

Buderi, The Invention that Changed the World

Baldwin, The Deadly Fuze

Dorothy Varian, The Inventor and the Pilot

Conant, Tuxedo Park

Zachary, Endless Frontier

Ridenour, the 27 volume RadLab Series.

John