ROHS++

Your ancestry.

--
Rick
Reply to
rick H

It looks as if what he needs a wine palate - he doesn't want one, because he has existed without one so far and doesn't know what he is missing, but he obviously needs one.

Not quite right. Most Californian and Australian wines are superior to the majority of the French wines that you will see on a supermarket shelf. Unfortunately for Jim hypothesis, the French have been making wines for some 2000 years now, and they have found some places that can grow absolutely superb wine grapes. Around 1850, after people had been keeping records of auction prices for wine for about 150 years, these places got identified as producing Grand Cru and Premier Cru wines, and few Australian and Californian producers can compete against those wines.

You *can* do without them, but you don't *need* to look at Rembrandt's paintings either.

True. Sassicaia is only rated as a vino de tavola under the - crummy - Italian classification system, but happens to be one of the great wines. And I do like Amarone.

Naoussa Boutari - which contains a fairly high proportion of cabenet sauvignon. I've drunk it in Athens, and bought it in Cambridge U.K. but you rarely see it outside Greece.

And who needs two legs when you can hop around on one.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

The head was made in Australia - but Michael Terrell is a tribute to American education inaction, and probably doesn't appreciate the difference between Australia and Austria. It is only some 10,000 miles, all other them outside the continental Unites States of America and thus insignificant.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen - but Australian, born and bred.
Reply to

&pgno=1

Nothing much in the electronics line, I'm sad to say.

We legislated our electronics industry out of business many years ago. Judging by the prices on eBay, there's still plenty of demand for the sort of thing we made so well - but no-one in their right mind would set up a factory to make it in Europe any more.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

There is no race involved, just some rather mindless nationalism.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

You are clearly not involved in the semiconductor business.

If you want an optical lithography machine to make a modern integrated circuit, you go to ASML in the Netherlands, or a couple of (inferior) suppliers in Japan.

If you want to write really fine features, you buy an electron beam lithography machine from Vistec Semiconductor Systems in Cambridge U.K. and Jena and Wetzlar in Germany, or maybe from JOEL in Japan - the American suppliers were never up to much and seem to have gone bust.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Maybe we shouldn't brush our teeth.. Flourine needs approval :-) Also elements that have bonded have a whole another set of properties..

This can tip the investment direction. Why invest anything in EU, when the cost has been shown to just increase by the day from unpredictable politics?

I wonder where the profitability point is. When selling electronics outside EU is way more profitable despite cost of export.

Add the cost of reduced market diversity for EU for european companies.

Reply to
pbdelete

Joseph Schmidt (his original store is a couple of miles from here... we make the pilgrimage often) is as good as anything in the world. And Cadbury stacks up with the worst the USA can aspire to. Snickers, especially frozen, are good, and a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup is one of the few things that taste as good now as when you were a kid.

not my stuff

well, the good one come from Japan and Korea

Oh we don't hate Europeans; we just sort of consider them to be irrelevant. Heck, they consider themselves to be irrelevant. And Americans really like asians... can't marry them fast enough.

John

Yeah, junk like Nikon.

Well, Cymer still makes about 80% of the eximer lasers that expose production wafers. And inside every new Cymer laser is a neat little timing box...

John

You got that bit right.

Am I a European? Not sure. Thought the UK was the 52nd state of the US (Israel being the 51st, and Iraq being the 53rd).

Ain't that the truth. A French (that's part of Europe that is) colleague of mine went to the US to live (f**k me he was desparate to escape French national service), and he got himself an Indian. I think it was a woman, although it could've been a balti.

Reply to
Grumps

Well, not specifically for you, but I think EU could beat the US on annual vacations.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Our inside temperature is 76°F. Quite comfortable since it's low humidity. However Toblerone goes soft. Toffee doesn't

...Jim Thompson

1607, When men were still men ;-)

...Jim Thompson

We got a break from the heat yesterday when the fog rolled back in. By sunset it was actually cold, too cold to be out in short sleeves.

Dang, looking out the window, it's burned off. And I'm off to the fetid, steaming tropics of Palo Alto in a few minutes. Where's my pith helmet?

John

Not junk, perhaps, but ASML had 53% of the semiconductor lithography market last year, while Nikon only had 30% in cash terms - Nikon sold more machines (36%) versus ASML's 33.6% so it would seem that ASML can get away with charging higher unit prices, which does suggest that they are producing a superior product - and without even hiring me.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

That's because these days American women are all republican bull dykes.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

John,

That'th my old school you're talking about..no need for the bathroom referenthes..it's pretty nithe there if you like brown vegetation.

Cheerth,

Phil Hobbth

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You seem to have omitted Puerto Rico, Mexico, Paname, and Guantanamo Bay. :-/

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Hello Jim,

Nah, c'mon, where is a really good Camembert made in the US? Haven't found one in a decade. And I mean the stuff that literally takes your breath away for a second after each bite. In France you can buy an excellent Camembert almost at every street corner. IIRC the problem is a law that forces US producers to use pasteurized ingredients and you just can't get the Camembert process started properly.

I don't like blue cheeses :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I don't like Camembert ;-)

My favorites are Bleu Cheese, and Parmesan (in block form so I can "shave" it to suit).

...Jim Thompson