Ban Semi-automatic Weapons...

House Democrats back new ban on semi-automatic weapons:

A semi-automatic weapon fires one shot every time the trigger is pulled. An automatic weapon fires continually until the trigger is released.

Seems to me that virtually EVERY modern day HANDGUN is "semi-automatic", n'est-il pas si? Even an old-style revolver is semi-automatic in that sense.

Likewise an AR-15... requires a trigger-pull per firing. IT IS NOT "automatic".

So the Dems really want to ban all guns??

Automatic weapons are, by current law, restricted to the military and certain police forces... illegal for ordinary ownership.

Reminding the snarky pansy from the Peoples Republic of Massa2shits... this is my target shoot at 10 yards...

Two pistols tried out: Glock 9mm and an S&W (caliber I don't remember, this was 2012).

I am untrained... this was my first pistol shoot in close to 45 years. (Went with my oldest son to try out his new AR-15 >:-} (*)

I would expect trained police officers to be able to at least distract a shooter and minimize deaths... instead they were COWARDS.

Seems we should ban semi-automatic COWARDS ;-)

(*) A MAGNIFICENT WEAPON by the way. Bulls-eyes at 300 yards... no sweat! NOT very good at close range like a pistol... it would take too much side-to-side movement, slowing you down... so much for the bull-shit from the pansy crowd. ...Jim Thompson

"Those [of us] who dream by day are cognizant of many things which
 escape those who dream only by night"  -Edgar Allan Poe

I remember when I lived in Phoenix in 1985 I used to go to the desert shooting. I had a 32 semi then. There were these signs that said, don't shoot the signs. Well, other than, red flag before bull, I am unable to elucidate any further.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

Yes, That used to be a problem. But it's been quite some time since I've seen a highway sign with a bullet hole in it. Maybe we're more grownup now? ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Nah, the signs started shooting back...sure, that was it...

Reply to
Bill Martin

Not quite true. My BIL had a Thompson sub machine gun. And the gun range near by in PA. also have some sub machine guns There is a license fee however . I think it is $500 a year. Dan

At one time Texas solved that problem by attaching small alumimum sheets attached to the sign. Giving the public some thing to shoot at which was not expensive to replace. |

Reply to
dcaster

I stand corrected. I had forgotten that my uncle, Darl Godwin, he of

20 years Navy, 20 years Army, then Sheriff of Killeen, Texas, had a Thompson submachine gun.

He let me fire it when I was perhaps 12 years old. It spun me around, causing my uncle to have to run a circle to escape it. He thought it funny. Scared the crap out of me :-(

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Like this?

"Stupid soldier gives chimpanzee machine gun"

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

e near by in PA. also have some sub machine guns There is a license fee ho wever . I think it is $500 a year.

"civilians" can buy a full auto gun, you have to find a gun that was legall y registered before 1986 so it transferable, then get it transferred with N FA which takes about a year and $500. I believe less than 200000 such guns ever existed so you are looking at tens of thousands $ for transferable mac hine a gun

registered dealers and manufactures can have "samples" of full auto guns th at is what the gun ranges do

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Den tirsdag den 27. februar 2018 kl. 20.19.59 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

it is semiautomatic but not fully automatic or burst

and you can get a select fire AR-15 but it'll be +30 years old, cost

+$15000 and it'll take a year for NFA to approve that you can get it
Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yep ;-) Except it wasn't funny at the time. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Isn't that what I said?

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Some revolvers are, some aren't. Double-action revolvers will fire at each (*very* hard) trigger pull. Single-action revolvers require the hammer to be cocked before each trigger pull.

Of course. That's been known for decades.

Reply to
krw

No, not quite. It is possible to get a license for pre-1968 fully-automatic weapons. It costs something like $750 for the license, you're put through *very* rigorous background checks, and you have to demonstrate that you're in possession of the weapon and allow its storage to be inspected at any time by BATF or even your sheriff's office. There are often demonstrations, where you can pay to shoot one. It ain't cheap (they go through a lot of ammo).

Reply to
krw

Den onsdag den 28. februar 2018 kl. 01.24.31 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

there is the odd exception :)

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I guess there is a platypus in every group. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Always an exception to the rule. Some military guns can be set to fire three shots for every pull of the trigger.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

But that would make it an "automatic" rifle. Or, more precisely, "selective fire".

Reply to
krw

That would be the renewal, IIRC the original application is very expensive.

Reply to
jurb6006

using my uncle to have to run a circle to escape it. "

I recall the news of someone doing that and the kid could not handle it and the weapon went up and shot the guy who gave the kid it to shoot.

He got a Darwin award with that.

That is another thing about the uselessness of a full auto in most situatio ns, because of the recoil it is very hard to aim with any degree of accurac y. In war where there is a whole group of enemy soldiers in front of you, y es. But anywhere else a semi auto would be better.

Reply to
jurb6006

hree shots for every pull of the trigger. "

Something else, someone told me that it can be auto if it has no trigger. I n other words, you put the magazine in and once you chamber it all the roun ds are fired until they are gone.

I heard this, it may be wrong, it may have changed, but still such a weapon is less useful than a semi auto.

How hard is it to just pull the trigger again ? Geez, people are so lazy. T hat's why there is so much obesity. People don't even play cards much anymo re, it is mostly on the computer. Friggin snowflakes would probably get car pal tunnel correctly shuffling a deck of card, especially a double pinochle deck. And by correctly shuffling I mean that after you flap the two sides together you bend the cards the other way and let them slide into alignment , NOT just push them in or bang them on the table. That wrecks the edges of the cards and eventually shuffling becomes a PITA. Most people don't even know how to do that, or tie their shoes.

Seriously, there is a TED talks on that and it is right. Look it up, most o f us actually do it wrong. I didn't believe it at first but it is true.

Enough hijack...

Reply to
jurb6006