Re: Which university produces good analog EEs?

Joerg wrote:

>>> I hate the Bay Area--I went to school there, and very nearly went to >>> work at HP Labs on Page Mill Road in Palo Alto, which was about six >>> blocks from where I lived at the time...but fortunately IBM's offer >>> came through before HP's. If I believed in chance, I'd feel lucky. >>> As it is, I feel blessed. ;) >>> >>> Cheers, >>> >>> Phil "Same lab for 18 years now" Hobbs >> >> >> Poughkeepsie? That's where my father had to go, looong flights back in >> them days. He worked at IBM in Germany. >> >> It would definitely be too cold up there for my wife. Her ideal place >> would be where winter simply doesn't happen. Like Hawaii, but there is >> no work for me and getting to clients would take forever. >> > >Nah, the Watson Lab in Yorktown Heights. Best sandbox in the world at >one point, still very very good (and improving since the low point in >about 2000). > >Cheers, > >Phil Hobbs

IBM used to be headquartered in Manhattan. Then they decided that Manhattan might be nuked by the Soviets, and it would be in the interest of the USA that IBM survive, so they moved upstate.

John

Yorktown Heights is "upstate" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Armonk. They were probably thinking of getting out of a-bomb range, not h-bomb range.

IBM has an interesting history. Read "The Maverick and his Machine", by Maney, about Watson Sr. Another interesting book, almost all technical, is "IBM's Early Computers" by Bashe et al... some very weird architectures!

John

By comparison to 590 Madison avenue, it is.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr