Re: Which university produces good analog EEs? (2023 Update)

> > > to have actually built something. These younguns just know how to > > > program. You've seen the posts where a pic uP is the solutions to any > > > task, not a state machine comprised of memory elements and > > > combinational logic. > > > > For the vast majority of applications, a uC is the right solution, > > certainly over the discrete implementation you suggest. > > > > -- > > Keith > > The problem with using a uP in such projects is if you are designing a > chip, you need to know how to do it with gates as often that is the > smallest and lowest power solution. The ability to hand craft logic is > disappearing rapidly, but is very much needed in mixed mode chips > which are not done on fine geometry processes. >

If you're designing a chip you aren't going to be using a PIC, now are you? Hint: you won't likely be using "memory elements" and combinatorial logic to build state machines either.

--
  Keith
Reply to

You don't get it. The schools are teaching pic solutions, not the ability to design state machines. Your hint doesn't make much sense. Memory elements are part of the state machine design. You need a place to store the present state.

Reply to
miso

It is not I who is dense around here.

Discrete memory + logic is a piss-poor way to design state machines these days. We weren't talking about integrated designs.

--
  Keith
Reply to

krw snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzz posted to sci.electronics.design:

It is indeed a poor way to design one, state diagrams and state charts are much better methods. Discrete logic and memory may well be the best implementation, however.

Reply to
JosephKK

Rarely. There is almost always a better way, more reliable, using fewer components, cheaper. All that good stuff they pay us for, instead of showing how clever we are by reusing an old EPROM and TTL laying that is collecting dust.

--
  Keith
Reply to

It may be the best way. Example why: Our pellet stove turned itself on (!) in the middle of summer. Guess the folks who programmed its 8051 must have goofed up. If I have my druthers (and some time) I'll rip it all out and design it around some 74HC chips.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There are some things were a spring and clockwork are a better design too.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Actually, in this case you could be right. The first pellet stoves had mechanical timers. For some reason I've never heard a complaint from their owners ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to