Re: Which university produces good analog EEs?

Hi Joerg,

Which uC were you thinking about? 25c with ADC on board sounds like a good > deal. But only if it doesn't need a crystal or resonator.

The Atmel ATtiny11. When I say "cheeseball ADC" I'm referring to its on-board analog comparator. It does have an internal RC oscillator, although it isn't too horribly accurate (for an "accurate" RC oscillator they'd like to sell you an ATtiny12, which of course costs more).

DigiKey gets $0.31 in quantities of 100 or more, so I *think* it's fair to call it a "quarter microcontroller" in large quantities.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Ok, that counts as a quarter-part. But your modified sine frequency might be a bit drifty. The one thing I (and my client's purchasers) would not be so fond of is the fact that it's single-sourced.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In my case it's hard-wired to a particular load that, at least from my testing, doesn't seem to care. :-)

Certainly one couldn't get away with building a general purpose inverter without adding the $$$ crystal (or similar), though.

Hmm... I wonder what those $20 100W 12V->120V inverters use for a timebase? I would expect them to be at least +/-5% accurate...

Some years ago (wow, probably about 15 now!) I had one of those cheap inverters self-destruct... smoke pouring out, the entire bit; I suspect it may well have started on fire if I hadn't been there to unplug it from the cigarette lighter.

Yeah, understandable.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

That's the kind of load I like best. Why is it that the loads I am confronted with are always fussy?

Most likely it's ye olde PWM chip and RC. At $20 retail I wouldn't even expect a ceramic resonator in there. Heck, they usually don't even have a choke after the rectifier which could possibly explain your fiery situation below.