Re: Which university produces good analog EEs?

Odds are you will get silence or "Oh, that club folded years ago" as the

> answer. If you actually find a working club, talk to the faculty advisor > and ask how many students are in the club. If there are a dozen or more, > you've at least found yourself a prospective school.

That would rule out Oregon State... the typical number of people in the club varied between 0 and 10, always dwindling as the year progressed. Part of it might have been a lack of "advertising," though -- the first time I found their web page and contacted one of the professors involved, the number had been near-zero for a couple of years. We eventually started to get a little more proactive in letting people know we existed; see, e.g.,

It's started to dwindle again though -- all the guys mentioned in that article have since graduated. One bright spot is that one of the newer (younger) professors that OSU recruited from Intel (yeah, a digital guy, but oh well :-) ) has become interested and mentions the club in his beginning EE classes.

I think Oregon State turns out some decent chip designers (while I was there I knew one guy who it was already clear was going to go far), but like most universities they don't really have much emphasis on board-level analog design specifically.

TekBots

have been quite popular, although they were struggling with how to move them out of being heavy on the microcontroller/programmable logic emphasis and into somewhat more challenging areas, such as control systems and wireless links/communication systems (where you're designing, e.g., the radio and the error-correction protocols yourself, not just using someone's off-the-shelf wireless module, which is already quite common).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

We still have a ham club at the University of Akron, most of the members are foreign students, with a small smattering of americans, but the analog labs are done with breadboards (sigh) not solder.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

For lower-level lab courses solderless breadboards are fine... at some point then one of the labs should be about, "What are the limitations of solderless breadboards and where do you go next?" where you have students, e.g., measure the capacitance of the breadboard slots, calculate how that'll make it impossible to build reasonably high-speed designs, etc... and then introduce them to "dead bug" prototyping on a ground plane.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Well, since you are probably a professor there, why don't you change that?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to