Re: Are TS555's really supposed to suck this much?

And hose down the dirt after a couple bottle of cheap French swill? :)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

:

ote:

at it's a

wonder

and

, those

ass,

as attested

re of your

talent and

r.

eral

on

eme for

ery of a

er

dic

.

th

Europe suffers from high unemloyment? Admittedly China has finally displaced Germany as the country making the most money out of exports, but Germany still has a solid positive balance of trade, a situation that the US can only dream of.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

But not much less time than getting the guys to either end of the mile- long cable in the first case. And colour-blindness isn't so common that it would be an issue.

It there had been any real money to be made, the competition wouldn't have had any trouble finding a half-way competent engineer to get around the patent - it wouldn't have cost more than a cup of coffee.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Encoding by pulse width makes its own demands on the bandwith of the system, of pretty much the same kind as picking a clock rate for sending binary sequences. Since encoding by pulse widht is the least efficient way of using that bandwidth, your comment displays a level of ignorance which is positively managerial.

John Fields did as badly, but he also shares your delusion that the

555 isn't obsolete.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

.

e.

e, and

the

uses.

ay

e.

sh idiot.

the

The output transistor on the 555 has to handle a defined maximum current, which makes it hard to shrink, and the transistor that discharges the capacitor is similarly restricted by the current it has to carry. The capacity to define smaller features doesn't help very much. Hans Camenzind has spelled out how a modernised 555 would look, and feature shrinkage doesn't come into it.

This makes you the idiot - as usual.

."

On the contrary, I made it perfectly clear that I knew that being able to use a cheaper component isn't - of itself - enough to justify the non-recurring cost of redesigning and retooling an existing circuit. This doesn't make the 555 any less obsolete.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It's not double-talk. If you have to keep a slow-selling device in production, it is cheaper to buy the limited number of crappy components you need on the legacy market than it is to redesign the device - it isn't as if the device keeps on selling because it's got state of the art performance, and you are unlikely to sell any more if you improve the specification.

That's one of the reasons why the 555 is still in production. Legacy engineers like John Fields are another.

Not very, but niche markets can be nice stable earners, until something genuinely and markedly better comes along.

Of which the TS555 would be an example? Of course it does suck. Hans Camenzind's book does mention that there are several flaws in the design, "indicative of the early period of IC design (and the inexperience of a rookie designer)" to quote his exact words.

For the cleverest designs every, one would go to Bob Widlar.

I thought that was the CD4046. I've used both.

The MC4024 is a bit faster - guaranteed maximum frequency of 25MHz - but in every other respect it was a total pain to use. It would probably be less of a pain in CMOS, but anybody resurrecting it must have had to be coping with strange constraints.

Jim sees to be as far out of touch with reality as ever.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

And why do you think that?

life.

Or so you would like to think.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It is quite while since I had to sit through software reviews, and seminars on generating provably correct software from specifications constructed as propositions in the Z language, but I do seem to retain more of what I learned then than you seem to have acquired from sitting next to people with whom you obviously don't interact.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

The term for today is:

Bated breath.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Finally?

China has been the biggest in the world for half a decade now.

Ever heard of the China Construction Bank?

It is the world's biggest bank. and the world's previous biggest banks are investing in it.

Where do you get your stats, Al-Jazeera? Bwuahahahah!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Nobody said a goddamned thing about the output stage, you retarded, obsolete twit.

I know what form factors are required for a given power level of output. I do not need an obsolete, retarded, senile, old twit attempting to claim that he has any clue about it spewing horseshit my way.

They did not refine and optimize to gain die size advantages alone, you retarded twit. They made it a better 555in MANY areas, not that you would have any clue what the word "better" means either.

Fuck off and die, sloboy.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Output transistor, not output stage - the 555 has one, as you'd know if you look at the circuit diagram.

ng

You'd certainly prefer not to be shown up at the prentious fantasising twit that you are, but churning out half-baked insults doesn't add anything to your plausibility.

ou

On the whole, I thinks Hnas Camenzind's ideas about how the 555 might have been improved by a redeesign for today's processes are to be preferred to yours. He probably does know what he is talking about.

I'll get around to it eventually, and so will you.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

^ARSE

Mr Nymbecile, please try to be a little more original with your choice of insults. You' ve used this one a lot recently. It was pathetic the first time around and just like you, it hasn't improved with age. As a little exercise for you, next time, try to compose one without using the word retard.

I can see why you like it though. It has six references to faeces. For normal people without your fetish, it is, just as you are, utterly tedious.

Reply to
warm'n'flat

You're wrong there, Bill. He's a pointy-headed janitor. The pointy head results from the over-use of his ridiculous KKK hood.

Reply to
warm'n'flat

That fecal reference was a reference to you... and your mother.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

"KKK hood"? What the f*ck is that, road kill boy?

You do not know anything about me, you stupid little wuss.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I know all there is to know about you.

You have displayed enough of your character here for any reasonable person to deduce that you are a complete and utter imbecile.

Reply to
warm'n'flat

--
As usual,blowhard, you don't know what you're talking about since using
my widget reduces the installation team to 1 person and my widget,

nd

Your single tester still has to set up the singal generator at one end of the cable and set it running before moving on to the other end of the cable to exploit the information being sent.

Your feeble grasp of what would have had to be going on suggests that you didn't have much to do with actually testing the cable; the unfortunate test engineer might not have your rosy picture of the advantages of your invention, such as it was.

But since colour-coded multiwire cables are ubiquitous, it's a well- known issue in the area.

Not recently. It never was my favourite occupation, and I got paid too much - when I did have a job - for my employers to want me to spend much time on jobs that could be handled by a technician who was paid a good deal less.

The bandwith required to allow you to distinguish a shorter from a longer pulse at the other end of the cable is of the same order as the bandwidth required to let you distinguish different binary sequences with an interval between transistions comparable with your minimum pulse width.

In otherer words, your solution also requires precisely the same prior knowledge of the bandwidth the length of cable that you want to sort out.

It's more that a few minute conversation over a cup of coffee would have thrown up several ways of getting around your patent. It's the kind of problem that gets sorted out without anybody having to go to the trouble of creating a project pan and a budget - putting the black box together would have been charged to "miscellaneous" anywhere where I've worked.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Your unemployment rate is 100%