Banks Suck!

Finding a good bank is not easy. Maybe because one doesn't exist.

I want good online banking so I don't need to call anyone or visit an offic e unless it is truly necessary. One of the features I want is to be able t o view the deposit slip and the actual deposit items online. Most banks no t only don't let you view those things, what features they do have for view ing your records are limited to some relatively short time span. One bank I use only lets me see back 14 months and another 18 months.

So yesterday I signed up with Wells Fargo who seems to have fairly good onl ine banking features. Today when I attempted to register for online bankin g wanted me to sign terms that allow them to send all communications "elect ronically" at their discretion.

I always read these things and this is the first time I've run into a condi tion like this.

Like I said, "banks suck"!

--

  Rick C.

  - Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I have Regions bank and like their bill pay and you can see all your transaction slips including deposit slips, I didn't know this, I'll start doing a better job on my deposit slips, make them more useful if needed. I have a Wells account also, I'm not as familiar, but so far haven't found it to my liking as much as Regions. It may be that later I will find some way to find the info I want, but so far it just doesn't have the info that Regions has.

I haven't found where Regions does business, I see they're headquartered in Alabama, I bank in Florida. I vote for Regions! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I've been banking with Wells Fargo since college, about 1970. No horror stories to report. Like all banks, they pay zilch in interest on banking and savings accounts.

With Wells Fargo, I can only view deposited checks but not deposit slips:

18 months are available online, but: A paper copy of a check posted prior to July 26, 2002 can be sent to you via USPS mail. The only time I might want a copy of a deposit slip is when I deposit cash. I usuallly do those transactions at the WF office and request (demand) a copy of the deposit slip and a printed copy of the transaction record. Sometimes, when I'm in a rush, I scan the deposit checks, submit the scans for deposit, and keep the scans for my records. That has worked well for about 2 years and has eliminated many trips to the ATM.

Some banks do offer viewing the deposit slip: Notice that Chase only allows viewing the last 75 transactions.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

ffice unless it is truly necessary. One of the features I want is to be ab le to view the deposit slip and the actual deposit items online. Most bank s not only don't let you view those things, what features they do have for viewing your records are limited to some relatively short time span. One b ank I use only lets me see back 14 months and another 18 months.

online banking features. Today when I attempted to register for online ba nking wanted me to sign terms that allow them to send all communications "e lectronically" at their discretion.

ondition like this.

Thanks for the info. I have multiple locations where I spend my time inclu ding Tennessee. The place in Tennessee I am at has pretty much only local banks other than a couple including Regions. They are only in a few other states in that general area and have no offices in any of the other locatio ns. To complement that, there are a few banks that are more or less conven ient to all the other areas I spend time, but none of them are convenient t o my location in Tennessee. Non-overlapping sets.

The online banking is important to me, but I really bristle at having to si gn onerous T&Cs. I can't imagine why they felt it necessary to include suc h a condition to using online banking. Unless I can see a way around it, I don't think I'll keep my account with Wells Fargo. It's a shame. This is the first bank I've been to where they actually acted like my business is important to them.

I'll keep looking and maybe consider Regions bank.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

fice unless it is truly necessary. One of the features I want is to be abl e to view the deposit slip and the actual deposit items online. Most banks not only don't let you view those things, what features they do have for v iewing your records are limited to some relatively short time span. One ba nk I use only lets me see back 14 months and another 18 months.

online banking features. Today when I attempted to register for online ban king wanted me to sign terms that allow them to send all communications "el ectronically" at their discretion.

ndition like this.

Thanks for your reply. This was a question I very specifically asked, "can I view online deposit slips and items". The answer was "yes", very clearl y. The link you refer me to was about checks you have written.

"An Online Check Image is a digital copy of a check you wrote"

Not the same thing.

My whole thing about online banking is that I don't want to handle any pape r I don't have to. Every bank says they will dig up anything I want and pr int it out, but paper is anathema to me. I have poor filing skills and can 't find anything on paper. It may take a little time, but I can always fin d things in my computer.

When banks limit you to the last year or 18 months or 75 transactions, the only thing I can think is that they expect their customers are too stupid t o use computers adequately and so are "protecting" them from being overwhel med.

I only wish Google would open a bank. Maybe they could buy a bunch of loca l banks and make a truly national bank from nothing. It can't be any worse than the ones that exist today.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

office unless it is truly necessary. One of the features I want is to be a ble to view the deposit slip and the actual deposit items online. Most ban ks not only don't let you view those things, what features they do have for viewing your records are limited to some relatively short time span. One bank I use only lets me see back 14 months and another 18 months.

d online banking features. Today when I attempted to register for online b anking wanted me to sign terms that allow them to send all communications " electronically" at their discretion.

condition like this.

an I view online deposit slips and items". The answer was "yes", very clea rly. The link you refer me to was about checks you have written.

per I don't have to. Every bank says they will dig up anything I want and print it out, but paper is anathema to me. I have poor filing skills and c an't find anything on paper. It may take a little time, but I can always f ind things in my computer.

e only thing I can think is that they expect their customers are too stupid to use computers adequately and so are "protecting" them from being overwh elmed.

cal banks and make a truly national bank from nothing. It can't be any wor se than the ones that exist today.

With Lloyds you can look back 10 years no problem. No images of things thou gh.

Like most retail stuff, retail banks are all about minimising costs. Sendin g forms electronically helps them cut costs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I paid a cheque in for the first time in years last week via an automatic deposit taking terminal. It read the cheque, which was written in handwriting, wrongly. The cheque was for five and a half thousand and the machine interpreted that as 70 quid for some reason! But it did give me the facility to correct it. I then got a confirmation slip which had a scanned copy of the cheque reproduced on it. Quite a neat idea. I've no idea how long this feature has been available, though.

Cursitor Doom

I've had a number of mortgages with WF but never a checking or savings account. They get some pretty bad ratings (as do all large banks, as if there is another kind anymore) and have had some run ins with the law in recent years.

Never had any problems with their mortgage departments, though. Kept going back because they were easy to deal with (and didn't try to screw me with junk fees).

I've done all my banking with the same CU for the last 45 years (used to be the IBM Poughkeepsie FCU, now Mid Hudson Valley FCU), even though I've never been within 100mi of a branch in over 25 years. If I had to change, I'd go with another FCU.

Reply to
krw

ffice unless it is truly necessary. One of the features I want is to be ab le to view the deposit slip and the actual deposit items online. Most bank s not only don't let you view those things, what features they do have for viewing your records are limited to some relatively short time span. One b ank I use only lets me see back 14 months and another 18 months.

online banking features. Today when I attempted to register for online ba nking wanted me to sign terms that allow them to send all communications "e lectronically" at their discretion.

ondition like this.

I don't think credit unions do business accounts, do they?

I didn't consider CUs because I'm not sure if I qualify for any of them. T hey mostly are related to some employer or the like, no?

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get a 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I didn't think so either but some do.

No, most just require residency in their geographic area now (or some other such trivially met requirement). The rules have changed a *lot* over the years.

Reply to
krw

We went with a local bank with about 8 branches. Very small. They've been great with us. They do have the online features you want, and our kids deposit checks by taking a photo of both sides on their phones and sending that online, too. We used to be with a local bank many years ago, they got bought out several times, and it finally was US Bank. I had a grandfathered business account with them, in my company name (I have a fictitious name registered with the secretary of state.) Well, suddenly, they changed the name on the account, with no warning, to be just my legal name. So, I couldn't deposit a check made out to my company! I pulled all my family's money out of the place, including a big IRA account, and went down the street to the small local bank, and they've been great. We do practically all out banking online, the only time I go in is to deposit a check for my company. They do hire out the fancy IT stuff to a big bank out of state.

Wells Fargo??!!?? Are you KIDDDING! Remember, this is the company that opened unauthorized accounts for millions of customers, and had to fire

5000 peons who were involved in the fraud. The top guys should have gone to jail for this massive fraud, but were allowed to step down years later, after getting their golden parachute.

There's go to be a better bank near you than Wells Fargo!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I recently opened up a checking account at Wells Fargo, going through the process made me think they are under tight scrutiny. Everything had to have a separate document covering what they did and then a sheet covering all the documents that they made. I just wanted a place to put money that made it very easy to transfer money to my kids and they both have Wells Fargo accounts* I have a branch 1.2 miles from home, with the next closest 7 miles away. The close branch that I go to is always packed, They need to open more branches. As I said, my top choice is Regions bank, but for it's limited use, Wells Fargo works.

  • When both kids did orientation for college, Wells Fargo was just part of the process. So almost all incoming students got a Wells Fargo account.
Reply to
amdx

They are and for good reason.

Sounds like a scam to me.

Reply to
krw

The scrutiny in the UK is something of a joke based on list A and list B "identity" documents. We don't have national ID cards and some of us have old pre-photo ID drivers licenses. I do have a passport though.

What ID and proof residence does a US bank require these days?

I am genuinely puzzled here. Why can't you execute an online faster transfer between any pair of US banks using a dollar current account?

I have never physically visited my notional bank branch since I set up the account decades ago. It is too far away to be worth the effort.

I can do everything online or mobile phone or via a hole in the wall machine or even older technology prepaid envelopes and paper forms.

So with a Regions bank current account you can't send money directly to a third party who banks with Wells Fargo? This seems very odd to me.

UK banks tend to give college students a good deal to try and get their business. I have used almost all UK banks at one time or another. Some are better than others and all of them have made interesting mistakes.

The most spectacular was when I left university and moved branch the bank hoovered up all the M. T. Brown accounts and pointed them at mine. Hazards of having a common name but more of a problem for my namesake.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Online only accounts tend to require initial deposits from other UK banks, thus punting the issue.

Yup, over here many transfers take 2 hours.

Yup. I haven't changed my branch in, gulp, 40 years. It is 140 miles away, I go to the town maybe once a decade, and doubt I ever will again.

Yup. There are (still) local branches about 5 miles away, but they are getting fewer.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

ACH is slow and the banks have no interest in making it faster.

Jasen Betts

How slow is slow then? Why is US banking so slow and lethargic?

UK faster payment is fee free for consumer banking and transfers up to

(their website is having problems today)

This explains the three service levels of UK bank transfer:

I think our BACS is roughly equivalent to US ACS.

A cheque would be 3 days cleared for value and 5 working days cleared for outcome (after that point the funds transferred to your account are yours unless it can be shown that you are trying to perpetrate a fraud).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I can, I just retired, I put one years living expenses in one bank and money I need for the kids college expenses i fund through another bank. I just wanted to make it easy to see how much money we actually spend in a year, so I know how to position our assets.

Explained above.

Reply to
amdx