Qs re EAGLE use

Use layer 20 - DIMENSION - with 0 width to draw board boundries

  1. Open library from which you wish to copy, click the PACKAGE icon, and select the package you want to copy.
  2. Click GROUP icon and, using LEFT mouse button, draw a box around the items you want to copy.
  3. Click CUT icon and, using RIGHT button on mouse click in a convenient place in the grouping (you may get a menu. If so click the CUT: GROUP selection).
  4. DO NOT open a new window! Click FILE -> OPEN. The list of libraries will appear. If you want to start a new library, type the name in the FILE NAME box and click open. Otherwise click the libray you want.
  5. Click the package icon and type in the name of the new package in the NEW box. You will be asked if you want to make a new pack. Click YES.
  6. Click the paste icon and place the package. When you save the libary, the new package will be saved, and the old package will remain unchanged.
  7. You can make any changes to the new package you want.
  8. If you want a new SMD size, and there is not one in the list, you can make a custom by typing SMD LxW in the command line
Reply to
maury001

ries.

oying

d select the package you want to copy.

items you want to copy.

what version are you using?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

not

stuff

I'd even go so far as to put JTAG on there. ;-)

Where the bulk of it is. If you have two opamps in the same package separated by sixteen pages, well, you're going to get what you asked for, a mess. ;-) The point being that it's only an aid, not the final placement.

I used to, but I'm far better off with the schematic entry tool (three instances, today) and a few dozen spreadsheets opened on my desktop. I really need a couple more monitors, though. ;-)

quoted text -

My PPoE was pretty small. There were only two of us EEs and one layout guy. He was the "component engineer", too, but he really didn't do that job.

I wouldn't mind doing it, I don't think. My boss would get a bit ripped, though. He has other priorities. ;-) Actually, I did miss out on some positions because I'd never done layout. They did pretty small stuff, though. I'd probably get bored anyway. ;-) I have a *great* position now, in a very large company (can't believe I fell into it), so I won't be learning layout. ;-)

Reply to
krw

  • Thanks.

select the package you want to copy.

  • Clicked on the + sign, then clicked on the name/icon and see it on right pane.

you want to copy.

  • Like i said aint nuttin thar..if and only if i right click do i get a pop-up menu with "Add..", "Copy..",and "New.." ALL GREYED OUT and so totally useless. NO "icon" either. DOA.

GROUP selection).

appear. If you want to start a new library, type the name in the FILE NAME box and click open. Otherwise click the libray you want.

box. You will be asked if you want to make a new pack. Click YES.

new package will be saved, and the old package will remain unchanged.

a custom by typing SMD LxW in the command line

Reply to
Robert Baer

select the package you want to copy.

items you want to copy.

The most recent possible version that will run in Win2K, specifically

5.11.0 . BTW, how in the he** do i change the damn trace width to values OTHER than the stupid fixed ones? Namely, the thinnest non-zero trace width is a FAT 0.010 inches. Heck, back in the '80s i did hand-taped 8 mils as "standard" for small, and on one occasion 20 years ago did 6 mils.
Reply to
Robert Baer

oundaries.

destroying

and select the package you want to copy.

he items you want to copy.

lly

HER

it is very complicated :) instead of picking a width from the pull down just write the width you want in the width field

most of the cheap doubles sided proto pcbs are 10/10 or 8/8 mil design rules

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt
  • I have used other layout progs, and (for me anyway), one can SET the default linewidth for a given layout and change it as needed inside; NO BS MENU (which is almost useless).
  • I have exported a library as script and added a precision package (this way no other item gets buggered. When i try to bring it back in (yes, i named it differently) the damn lib editor sez it cannot find it. WHERE, oh where the F is it looking??????????????????????
Reply to
Robert Baer

I took diode.lbr, exported it, used a very tolerant and dumb text editor to add what i wanted for a package, renamed the file and altered the internal naming to correspond. I also made a copy of diode.lbr, naming that copy diodeMOD.lbr then in EAGLE "imported" that script file (see #2 below).

1) EXPORT SCRIPT - file is put in the EAGLE-5.11.0 folder (in my case because that is the version i am using). 2) SCRIPT - a) file MUST be in the EAGLE-5.11.0\SCR folder; b) the library *MUST* exist; it will NOT CREATE A NEW ONE. 3) Expect to "OK" a thousand or so (i am NOT exaggerating) if you expect it to completely overwrite (i think that is what is happening); you will see errors like "existing pin names", "existing pad names", errors concerning package variants, "adding symbol D to 1N4004 would exceed maximum pins available in package variant", "package variant already defined", etc ad nauseum. 4) Result seems to be perfectly OK, and the new part works as expected. ******* At some point a few daze ago, the grid for board layout vanished completely with no way to restore it. After un-installing EAGLE, I had to wipe out all folders that had EAGLE and related files, and remove a LOT of references in the registry by hand BEFORE a new install made things right. I have no idea as to where the buggering occurred, but a simple un-install / re-install was totally useless. ** BTW, COPY works like a charm; you get exactly one copy to put wherever you want. The CUT / PASTE is useful if you need multiple copies; just paste as many times as you want. ** Crappy..crappy.. Start a wire, all OK as end moves with mouse. Click ends that segment, still OK. BUT there is absolutely nothing one can do to STOP drawing the frigging wire...you have to move mouse cursor (which makes an UNWANTED line from where you would dearly LIKE the wire to stop) to the STOP sign and click on that. Right click or left click; neither stops it. See same problem with multiple copy function. ** Crappy..crappy.. Is there ANY way to change that damn wire-size pull-down so i can add/ change sizes I want? ** Crappy..crappy.. Why does wire ALWAYS start on the bottom layer??????????????? Is there not a way to change that "default"?
Reply to
Robert Baer

type: "grid mm 2.54"

Execute the "snap to grid" script afterword:

type: "scr" Choose a script named "snap.scr"

maybe it was and ulp... cannot remember right now. In that case type: "ulp"

Choose a user language program named "snap" or similiar.

Your pads are not onto grid! This gets more and more annoying as the IC spacings become more and more irregular and it is a drawback of Eagle. Start with the coarsest grid possible for your application. If you have off-grid pads, start routing at the pad, and let the trace snap to a on-grid pad or to a on-grid trace. The trace will snap to on-grid elements of the same net, and the trace will finish IMMEDIATELY. If you want to connect two off-grid-pads, start a segment from each pad, and connect the segments afterwords.

Don't use the pull-downs. They slow you down. To change the width faster, type: "ch wi .3" or similiar. Edit the eagle.scr File and define some shortcuts:

# Configuration Script # # This file can be used to configure the editor windows.

BRD:

Grid mm 0.635 4; Change Width 0.4064 Set WIRE_BEND @ 0 1 2 3 4

ASSIGN C+N ch lay tn ';' ch siz 0.8128 ';' text >name ; ASSIGN C+V ch lay tv ';' ch siz 0.8128 ';' text >value ;

ASSIGN C+D ch lay dim ; ASSIGN C+T ch lay tpl ; ASSIGN A+T ch lay tdoc ; ASSIGN C+M ch lay mil ;

ASSIGN C+1 gr mm .15875 16 ; ASSIGN C+2 gr mm .3175 8 ; ASSIGN C+3 gr mm .635 4 ; ASSIGN C+4 gr mm 1.27 2; ASSIGN C+5 gr mm 1.27 2;

ASSIGN A+0 ch wi 0 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+1 ch wi .254 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+2 ch wi .3048 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+3 ch wi .4064 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+4 ch wi .6096 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+5 ch wi .8128 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+5 ch wi 1.016 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+5 ch wi 1.27 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+5 ch wi 1.4224 ';' route ; ASSIGN A+5 ch wi 1.6764 ';' route ; ASSIGN F6 copy

window fit; show;

#Menu Add Change Copy Delete Display Grid Group Move Name Quit Rect \ # Route Script Show Signal Split Text Value Via Window ';' Wire Write Edit;

;

SCH:

Grid mm 1.27; Change Width 0.15; Change Size 1.4; Change Ratio 13;

#Menu Add Bus Change Copy Delete Display Gateswap Grid Group Invoke Junction \ # Label Move Name Net Pinswap Quit Script Show Split Value Window ';' \ # Wire Write Edit;

ASSIGN C+1 gr mm .15875 16 ; ASSIGN C+2 gr mm .3175 8 ; ASSIGN C+3 gr mm .635 4 ; ASSIGN C+4 gr mm 1.27 2; ASSIGN C+5 gr mm 2.54 1; ASSIGN F6 copy

LBR:

Grid mm 0.635 4; #Menu Close Export Open Script Write ';' Edit;

DEV:

Grid mm 0.635 4; #Menu Add Change Copy Connect Delete Display Export Grid Move Name Package \ # Prefix Quit Script Show Value Window ';' Write Edit;

SYM:

Grid mm 1.27; Change Width 0.15; Change Size 1.27 Change Ratio 10; #Menu Arc Change Copy Cut Delete Display Export Grid Group Move Name Paste \ # Pin Quit Script Show Split Text Value Window ';' Wire Write Edit;

ASSIGN C+N ch lay names ';' ch siz 1.27 ';' text >name ; ASSIGN C+V ch lay values ';' ch siz 1.27 ';' text >value ;

ASSIGN C+1 gr mm .15875 16 ; ASSIGN C+2 gr mm .3175 8 ; ASSIGN C+3 gr mm .635 4 ; ASSIGN C+4 gr mm 1.27 2; ASSIGN C+5 gr mm 2.54 1;

ASSIGN A+1 ch wi .15 ; ASSIGN A+2 ch wi .2 ; ASSIGN A+3 ch wi .25 ; ASSIGN A+4 ch wi .3; ASSIGN A+5 ch wi .35 ; ASSIGN F6 copy

PAC:

Grid mm 0.635 4; Change Width 0.4064; Change Size 0.8; Change Ratio 13; Change Shape round Change drill 0.7

#Menu Add Change Copy Delete Display Grid Group Move Name Pad Quit \ # Script Show Smd Split Text Window ';' Wire Write Edit;

ASSIGN C+N ch lay tn ';' ch siz 0.8128 ';' text >name ; ASSIGN C+V ch lay tv ';' ch siz 0.8128 ';' text >value ;

ASSIGN C+D ch lay dim ; ASSIGN C+T ch lay tpl ; ASSIGN A+T ch lay tdoc ; ASSIGN C+M ch lay mil ;

ASSIGN C+1 gr mm .15875 16 ; ASSIGN C+2 gr mm .3175 8 ; ASSIGN C+3 gr mm .635 4 ; ASSIGN C+4 gr mm 1.27 2; ASSIGN C+5 gr mm 2.54 1;

ASSIGN A+1 ch wi .15 ; ASSIGN A+2 ch wi .2 ; ASSIGN A+3 ch wi .3 ; ASSIGN A+4 ch wi .5 ; ASSIGN A+5 ch wi .1 ; ASSIGN F6 copy

regards Tobias

ch lay to

Reduce the number of displayed layers!

Try clicking the mousewheel.

Reply to
Tobias Kahre

  • Thanks; a bit late now especially after all of that work and it working now.

spacings become more and more irregular and it is a drawback of Eagle.

off-grid pads, start routing at the pad, and let the trace snap to a on-grid pad or to a on-grid trace.

finish IMMEDIATELY. If you want to connect two off-grid-pads, start a segment from each pad, and connect the segments afterwords.

  • Up to the vanishing act, all was aligned and on grid. When the grid was gone, what little i moved, i used spacing of surrounding parts as a guide, and they appear to be within 0.001 which is good enough for government work as they say..

type: "ch wi .3" or similiar.

  • I do not change the wire width EXCEPT on launch, the default (crappy..crappy..) is 16 mils and i want an impossible 7 mils. Also the default (crappy..crappy..) is trace on bottom and i want the top.
  • OOOooohhhhhhhh! THIS is *superb!*; thanks! I take it that a sequence like C+M after the "assign" stands for "Ctrl+M" for a keypress shortcut.

Edit;

  • So, for top, that would be "CHange LAYer TO 1" i take it.

  • I do not see how that can be done BEFORE the damn program is launched

- for that manner, how to do that afterwords - in which case since it was displaying bottom layer then it would probably lock up with no way to see / put anything on a board. ((that would be layers from 2 to one))

  • Huh? Ain't nobody nohow *EVER* mentioned using that ennywhere elze pergrumm. Weird, but will try that. Thanks again.
Reply to
Robert Baer

spacings become more and more irregular and it is a drawback of Eagle.

off-grid pads, start routing at the pad, and let the trace snap to a on-grid pad or to a on-grid trace.

finish IMMEDIATELY. If you want to connect two off-grid-pads, start a segment from each pad, and connect the segments afterwords.

type: "ch wi .3" or similiar.

The smaller the width the more difficult it gets with eagle. The default should stay top, if your last trace was routed on top. Otherwise your trace was started on a bottom object.

Edit;

\

Take a look at mylayers.scr in the script directory.

While the "route" command is active, it brings up a handy "change layer dialog"

You're welcome. Tobias

Reply to
Tobias Kahre

spacings become more and more irregular and it is a drawback of Eagle.

off-grid pads, start routing at the pad, and let the trace snap to a on-grid pad or to a on-grid trace.

finish IMMEDIATELY. If you want to connect two off-grid-pads, start a segment from each pad, and connect the segments afterwords.

type: "ch wi .3" or similiar.

should stay top, if your last trace was routed on top. Otherwise your trace was started on a bottom object.

  • I do not put anything on the bottom; the only thing that would show would be vias and their related pads. Properties show layers 1-16.

Edit;

\
  • Oh; Set Used_Layers ..

  • Have not used that; is that used to make "complex" board shapes (other than simple rectangular)?

I have made some changes to eagle.scr using the info you gave me as a guide, and all of a sudden things are looking good - in fact rather tolerable. Where do you get all of this neat and useful info?

Reply to
Robert Baer

OK. BUT there is absolutely nothing one can

makes an UNWANTED line from where you would

Punch the ESC key, Robert!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

should stay top, if your last trace was routed on top. Otherwise your trace was started on a bottom object.

Aaaaaaah. This makes me guess that you have used the "Wire" Command to make your traces? Wire is for painting, Route is the command for making PCB tracks! If so, you have missused eagle as a painting program, and I am no longer wondering:) "Route" converts nets into tracks. I guess you didn't have nets??? (straight lines in layer "unrouted")

In the german version, the help files are very good and I have been using it since version 1.0 on a 640k PC AT with a b/w screen:)

Now I have to struggle with altium. Many things are better, some other (very basic) things are even worse than in Eagle.

Keep on routing Tobias

Reply to
Tobias Kahre

Thanks! I see that also allows me to start another wire elsewhere without the hassle of the "pulldown". Speeds things up a lot.

Reply to
Robert Baer

should stay top, if your last trace was routed on top. Otherwise your trace was started on a bottom object.

dialog"

your traces?

wondering:)

lines in layer "unrouted")

  • Have no nets as there is no schematic and will never be one.

since version 1.0 on a 640k PC AT with a b/w screen:)

  • Nicht verstat Deutch. However, is that one of the PDFs "hidden" in one of the umpteen folders?

basic) things are even worse than in Eagle.

  • Not surprised, it is the fundamental and basic stuff - the bread and butter - that everyone ignores.
  • I have a fancy graphical design, which i can render with vector descriptions (Postscript, EPS and maybe HPGL - do not think i can directly convert to Gerber), but how to i use such for Eagle to scribble with its "wire" pen - or equivalent?
Reply to
Robert Baer

of the "pulldown".

I've been thinking about equipping my computer with something like these foot pedal keyboard emulators:

Left side would be ESC and right side would be ENTER.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

So...you like EAGLE so much you want to play "footsies"? (not to be punny, but am trying to pull leg)

Reply to
Robert Baer

(....)

am trying to pull leg)