another board, I/Q modulator

This needs input and output matching networks, and they are the leaded parts on the plug-in Phoenix strips. A customer can change them without soldering, and we can plug in a standard set for initial testing or RMAs.

The RF i/o can be either BNCs or the weird expensive triax connectors. My customer uses the triax things with twisted pairs, which is even weirder.

 Click to see the full signature

You'll have to solder some bits onto it. :^)

Our diode laser has an RF input, it originally had ~4" of RG 174 coax. (pig tails) Production didn't like part of it, I tried twisted pair and it worked just as well. (Max freq. ~100 MHz.) This is just modulating the diode current, and I didn't look at back reflections or anything like that.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Why not use connectors? You can buy surface-mount connectors and standard-length connectorized coax cables.

 Click to see the full signature

It is all kinda small. And fits inside a Thor labs lens tube. Input on one end, bias tee and protection diode in the middle. and diode laser at the other.

People modulate the diode lasers up into the GHz. But I've never gone there.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold