PsychTest

Nope, all I seee there is how my video card isn't supported under XFree86 V4 (or some such). There are suggestions about going back to V3.... but I haven't gotten that far.

If you're so sharp, why don't you show me, oh mighty DimBulb?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Worked fine with 9.0. Seems 10.0 doesn't like my Matrox G550. The "new" (it's not) driver from Matrox doesn't help either (reports that it's the same as in the distro). It's your turn, DimBulb!

--
  Keith
Reply to

Nope, it's a fact. The most information is in the upper-left third of any random page. That's where the eyes naturally go. Icons spread around the bottom and right don't disturb this pattern.

Nope.

Miss you? We all only wish!

--
  Keith
Reply to

Opened windows take at most one click, and there is no startup after it's started (I hate all the crap that starts on boot).

I'm not sure how this is going to save me typing. Ok, I use templates for programs/logic, but email and USenet?

^^^^^^^^^^^ Your emailer should have clipped this

Ouch!

This is why my mother loved her walker. She can just turn it around and sit when she's tired. She often uses it as a chair when we go out to dinner since whe has the arms and can easily boost herself up.

Good times! ...for perhaps too long. I wish I could gt mom to travel, but it's no longer possible. She's the last of the parents (wife lost her mother two years ago).

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:24:29 -0500, Keith Gave us:

First, you need to declare the video card, and bus type.

If it is Nvidia, there is a HOW TO file on the Nvidia site specifically for Suse.

There is also a suse group here in Usenet, which has SEVERAL threads with folks just like you that have had their problem solved with as little as an added line in the config file.

Why do I always feel like I have to redeem myself to all these folks that spend so much time deriding me?

If my "bulb" is as "dim" as you say it is, why do I feel like a friggin white dwarf among brown dwarfs?

Should light bulbs really be called "dark suckers"? When one is turned on in a dark room, all the dark is sucked away, and all that is left is the light!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:28:58 -0500, Keith Gave us:

That's NOT what you said (look up a few lines). You said "one" as in some worldwide average user's tendency.

No. That's where YOUR eyes naturally go. Why are you having such a problem thinking that not everyone is like you... at all?

Nothing on my desktop, regardless of its location, disturbs me. I guess an exception would be a pasted text of one of ANthony's or Rich's posts.

Yep. you make a blanket assumption, and now come back in here stating that you were referring to only you.

You missed your calling. That of failed comedian. I am sure there are openings for you.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

I disable as many programs from loading at startup as I can. Other than security software, I can't see the need for thongs load load in a preemptive mode.

I use the templates mostly for web design, but I have several text files of some common replies that I can copy and paste, like pointers to other newsgroups.

I prefer the news client in netscape 4.78, and have to edit everything by hand. I missed that one.

Yeah, they are the same size as the lawn tractor batteries that cost $25 each. I'm thinking about a tiny battery trailer with a pair of full sized car batteries. That would take 80 pounds off the power chair's chassis, and make it easier to replace the batteries. I thought about building two of them so that one set can be charging while the other is in use. It kind of pisses me off when I do a search for something heavy and include "Florida" in the search terms, to get 95% of the hits from the west coast, from companies with no branches in Florida. I'm considering listing them on the veteran's news website as fraudulent companies, due to false advertising.

I was never married. I lost my mother to cancer in the mid '80s. My dad and step mom live next door, where I can keep an eye on them without being too intrusive. That way I can help them with some things around their house when they ask for help, but I don't wander around looking for things that need done. Dad is starting to have problems with his hips, and is finally starting to slow down. He was always one of those, "It has to be done today!" types but he is finally learning to pace himself.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

UltraVNC is freeware, quite good, and should do what you want.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

VNC looks good, up and running in 10 mins ( I downloaded the wrong file, doh)

thanks for that

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

No way, LCDs are crap for video, look at a ticker tape on a finance channel, a POS. LCD's for video are like MPEG, great until something moves.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

[snip]

K-V-M = Keyboard-Video-Mouse

What brand of monitor?

And what brand of dual output video card?

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Many newer LCDs have fast response times comparable to video refresh rates; video looks fine on them.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

but that is what is wrong.... Phosphors decay, LCD switch off. Think about it

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Well... LCDs don't have a "brick wall" turn-off characteristic; just as with phospors, they go from being "fully on" to "fully off" (which, in the case of an LCD, still lets light through -- hence the problem of dark colors being difficult to reproduce on LCDs) with a particular response shape (which unfortunately is not a linear function of drive level, whereas with phospors I believe it is much closer to being linear). Hence, I'll accept the assertion that videos look crappy on LCDs -- to you --... although I'd be willing to bet a nickel that, had LCDs somehow been invented before CRTs, we'd be having the same discussion except that you'd be telling me that CRTs look like crap. :-)

I'm geeky enough I enjoyed played Apple II video games and even -- breifly, once -- watching TV on some old long persistance monochrome (green) phosphor monitors with their inherent "streaking" when things moved. (And I also "fondly" remember the original Commodore Amiga, which could only generate an interlaced output if you asked for the highest resolution of 640x480, so a special -- kinda spendy -- monitor with long persistance phospors was offered to make looking at such a display bearable. This quickly spawned third party products called "flicker fixers" that just buffered the interlaced frame and output it as a 640x480 "progressive" scan signal for the then-rapidly-becoming-standard cheap PC compatible VGA monitors... in later models Commodore themselves added such circuitry to the motherboard.)

At all of 24fps, vertical pans in films look pretty crappy to me...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:10:53 -0800, "Joel Kolstad" Gave us:

Sadly not exactly true yet. The perfect test is 3D video gaming such as an FPS. They have poor persistence of vision, as it were. The video still appears sluggish with previous frames still in place as new frames are rendered. The result is a drug like "tracer" effect.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:24:07 +0100, martin griffith Gave us:

The persistence of vision problem with CRTs was solved decades ago, and CRTs are STILL king in the video department.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Yes, VNC does a similar thing, only using the network to transfer the 'K' and 'M' parts from one machine to the other, based n where the 'M' is. I have three heads on my desk, my laptop display and a

20" (21"?) LCD hooked to the laptop and a 21" CRT hanging on an RS6000. The KVM switch didn't work so VNC is my solution (after I get some high-priority stuff done this week).

The second display is an IBM G94, primary is a ViewSonic P95f. The problem is that the second display tab doesn't show in sax2. Once I get the tab to show, the displays are listed.

Matrox G550.

I found at least part of an answer doing a web search, but it still doesn't want to work. Apparently the SuSE developers don't like the Matrox driver so disabled dual-head mode in the 10.0 distribution.

I did the above to force sax2 to show the tab for the second display, but somehow the multiple head mode (whatever they call it) is still broke. I didn't have a lot of time to play last night though.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Why would I want to watch TV on my computer? Is there a PCB channel? ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:37:01 -0500, Keith Gave us:

When was the last time you watched the news?

When I am at my workstation, the news is on behind me on the TV.

I just got done installing an HP 23" Wide format monitor on my boss's wife's computer. It has pip so TV input can be viewed from a small pip box while using the PC, without the need for an in PC tuner card.

Best setup I have seen yet. I have a small 5" LCD monitor on top of my 19" flat screen PC monitor which I have my HDTV tuner pumped into. It is great for watching the weather, news, or even The Antique Road Show on while I am working. You see... I am capable of doing more than one task at a time.

Just ask my left hand.. Oh wait... strike that... :-]

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

This morning when I was putting my boots on.

Good place for it. There's no information in the video.

Your boss has too much time on his hands.

Sure, but TV ain't one of 'em. TVs are too cheap to waste valuable destop real estate on.

Gotta turn the pages, huh?

--
  Keith
Reply to