What solvents do we like?

I use Chloro-Kleen which I purchased years ago when it was legal. Unfortunately it's running out now and I was wondering what all you guys like...

I use isopropyl for some stuff, and MEK for cleaning flux from boards, but nothing beat Chloro-Kleen for rubber parts...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I Use Fedron for all rubber parts which works great Isopropyl for most everything else Bob

Reply to
bob

Can someone explain the trade names Chloro-Kleen and Fedron for me ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Goof off , formbys refinisher , westleys tire cleaner , wd-40 , windex

Reply to
Ken G.

I couldn't find a breakdown of fedrom on the web but the can says in contains: Xytol, Ethyl Acetate, Methanol, Ethanol, Hexone, Aliplactic Naptha, Water and compound oil Bob

Reply to
bob

Graham:

Cloro-Clean was Tri-Clor when packaged by General Cement. I have no idea on Fedron.

Reply to
BH

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 20:02:38 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I now use isopropyl alcohol, but I used to use Freon TF.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Vodka, Neat, (Drunk)

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Chloro-Kleen contained 1,1,1 Trichlorethylene and petroleum distillates, according to the label. Don't know what exactly.

mz

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Curious what you are cleaning flux from . I never had any issues with the little flux that stays around the solder joint .

Reply to
Ken G.

And 409. Can really work wonders on the grime left on exterior surfaces (viz control panels and keyboards.) DO NOT SPRAY DIRECTLY ON the device. Rather, spray a cleaning rag heavily and work with that. Sometimes laying the cloth over 'stubborn' areas and letting it soak works a treat.

I second Goof Off -- but be careful with some plastics.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

On Sep 1, 1:02 pm, "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote: > I use Chloro-Kleen which I purchased years ago when it was legal. > Unfortunately it's running out now and I was wondering what all you guys > like... >

I use this stuff for removing flux. It's not the fastest dissolver but I've never seen it damage anything.

Flame time. I also use Xylene. This _NASTY_ stuff was the official head cleaner for Ampex 1" type C video recorder and it is drastically superior to any alcohols. Any tape residue on guides, heads and capstans will come off in seconds but it destroys styrenes. For laughs I tried it on some rubber pinch rollers in Sony Betcam SP decks. If the rollers have less than 1000 hrs run time, they will look virtually new with a Xylene scrub. You can get Xylene at Home Depot for $12/ gallon.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Polystyrene, principally.

My fav'rit's methyl-ethyl ketone. Like, wow, man...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thetas because you don't work on industrial, military, or aerospace grade electronics. Flux can, and does adsorb moisture, which can cause leakage paths on a PC board. If its humid enough, it can damage bare copper traces, over time. On cheap throw away chinese shit doesn't matter if you clean it, or not.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sometimes flux can get really ugly looking. I like for a board to look really good when I'm done with it. Best of all if it's really hard to tell if someone has even worked on it at all !

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I'd forgotten about Xylene - maybe the brain cells died from smelling it in magic markers.

:-)

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

I figured it had something to do with high grade equipment . About all i work on is cheal chinese ``shit`` I have cleand up flux before when it about takes over .

Also agree about 409 its good stuff . The tire cleaner is a step further It will ruin anodized aluminum . Once you get used to it it really removes all sorts of dirt in a big hurry .

Reply to
Ken G.

As long as we're doing commercial cleaners, I'm putting in a plug for Simple Green and Clorox Cleanup. The SG been around long enough that most know it's properties, but the CC stuff is pretty amazing (just don't get it on your clothes--it's mostly bleach).

'Off label' use: Ants. Ever have an infestation of those little buggers? You wipe them up, and spray them with poison and they come right back. Instead, spray Clorox Cleanup directly on them, and the entire trail leading back to wherever they're coming from. It kills 'em instantly and obliterates the scent trail they lay down for navigation from the nest...they won't be back.

IMO, much preferable to the various poisons they sell for the purpose.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in news:yzjCi.4647$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

Soap and water, or just plain water. Isopropyl alcohol Diesel fuel to loosen grease. Weak Acetone (AKA nail polish remover)

Nothing really like Tri-Clor or MEK.

Reply to
Gary Tait

guys

boards, but

For cleaning accumulated crap off pcb's I use Domestos (a hospital grade cleaner you can't get in the US). Washed down afterwards with plain water and thoroughly dried off with a hot air gun.

For electronics components or small areas on otherwise good condition pcb's, I use Isopropynol.

For removing glue residue or labels with non water soluble adhesive I find kerosene does the trick. It will usually cause the label adhesive to soften to a gel where it can be removed with a paper towel or tissue and then finally clean up with a paper towel wetted with clean kerosene.

Reply to
Ross Herbert