What Does Your Electronics Workshop Look Like?

Irv F>>

>> If I ever manage to get to the point where I can find the bench >> underneath the clutter I will be more than happy to send you a photo >> of it. I should have taken one when it was new for sentimental >> reasons! :-) >> >> Irv VE6BP >> >> P.S. If you think the bench is bad, you should see the shack! > > > news:alt.binary.pictures.radio has a contest from time to time with >pictures of workbenches and home shops. Its about time for someone to >post another "My bench" photo and start another round over there.

I used to get ultra stressed when my workbench would get to be so messy that I couldn't find anything I needed without a time consuming search, if even then.

After having endured significant "heartburn" and internal self analysis I came to the following realizations:

1) I was never going to be the kind of guy who had a clean neat workplace with everything in its place all the time, I was too easily distracted by "more important things". 2) Based on my conclusion in #1 above, when my shop (or any other part of my unorganized life) became so messy that I was beginning to spend as much time "finding things" as I was "fixing things or building things" instead of LOOKING for what I couldn't then find I QUIT LOOKING and simple cleaned and organized my shop until it was like some of the photos I have seen in this thread. 99% of the time I found what I was looking for in the process but resisted temptation to stop cleaning until I was finished, otherwise I would be back in the same mode sooner rather than later. 3) I concluded that if my assumptions/actions in #1 & #2 were valid that it wasn't the messy shop that was the problem it was ME in that I had simply misinterpreted an "automated message" from mother nature that I initially understood to be "Find what you have lost, it is here someplace..." was incorrect and was reassessed to mean: "Clean and organize your work area now, or you will be continually stressed and frustrated until you do." I think it was one of those situations where I initially only read the first part of the message, because I already KNEW what the rest of the message contained from what I had read so far.....happy holidays!
Reply to
Joe Brophy

OR what may have inspired the inventor of the "keyless chuck".....

Reply to
Joe Brophy

I hate those things! I've had a number of them jam, or they just won't hold the tool tight enough.

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have reached the point where I don't care if any of my benches are clean. I am 100% disabled now, and I have so little time that I can stand to be in my shop that I just finish what I have to and forget about the shop till I need it again. It would take me years to ever get it back the way it used to be, and I may not have those years left, so why worry about a half dozen benches?

--
Been there, Done that, I've got my DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This is always an interesting subject . First at home here i like things organized and the bench top cleared off so i can spread out and move the project around and be able to set down paperwork and containers of parts for that project . If the project is to big for the bench as in blocking off things i need to see behind it i put that project on a rolling cart which is normally stored under the workbench this way i have the bench at my right and cart in front of me so i can get at all other things on the bench or have another project on the bench at the same time .

I never understood why anyone would want tons of ``stuff`` right in the way of everyday usable space ???? . I have sets of shelves around the room to keep everything not in use but right where it can be found . Enough shelves to keep all that stuff and put it back when done . The stuff i use most is either on the closer shelves or in drawers under the bench . I seldome have to search for anything unless I misplaced it

There is no such thing as ``no time to clean up`` it is all a matter of personal laziness or personal taste . ( period )

I have worked in a place now for about 7 years where i have 2 complete work bench setups and areas with shelves . Other people who work there do use tools and i dont mind at all BUT ... they dont bring them back or they pull one tool off of a shelf and drag other stuff off on the floor and just leave it there . When i go to do a job and the tool-s are gone i have to stop eveything and go hunting for tools . Another big problem i have is EVERYONE piles crap on my work benches and on the floor in front of them . When i go to work i have to spend time moving crap to its proper place before i can even get started . I hardly think that is a normal way of thinking .

Reply to
Ken G.

Since we live in an apartment, I have to keep my area clean because we have no space. This is our computer room/office/shop/storage, so I do my best to keep it organized. Once we get a house though, I'm sure this will be a thing of the past. It's nice when it lasts... Steve

Reply to
sck0006

(snip)

You should have snipped it here also.

Who cares about what you think of how other's work benches are cluttered?

don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Who cares about what you think of how other's work benches are cluttered? don

Oh aint you special . And bet your shop is a hog waller LOL .

Reply to
Ken G.