It's not just Windows on your scope...

...it's Windows 7.

The 64-bit edition.

Mmm... wow?

-->

(I suppose the real story here is that Microsoft really doesn't to sell XP any more, and -- while I'm not sure why this is -- every CPU capable of 64-bit operation seems to end up with the 64-bit version of Win 7 on it...)

Floating (network) licenses for various features packs as well. Amazing how much things have changed -- these days the raw data acquisition and display of a signal is only a very small part of the overall scope's value.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

P any

g how

ay of

Speaking of value, how much $$$ for the above?

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

8,300 UKP for 350MHz up to 20,100 UKP for 2GHz with mixed signal.

And now I've clicked on the pricing page, they'll call me tomorrow...

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Tell'em you thought those prices were in pence rather than pounds... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I'll tell them I wanted the prices for my good friends in s.e.d., who would love to discuss their latest offerings with them, if a representative would care to drop in there :)

I wonder whose anti-virus they use? Does the waveform capture rate slow down at 12.00 every day?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

P any

g how

ay of

makes sense to pick an existing OS with all the bells and whistles, instead of having to design an OS and drive graphics,network, usb, printers etc.

But i wonder why they didn't pick something like linux, would give them the option to modfy it if they need something special and avoid all the hassles of licensing, activation etc. doubt anyone would miss running the latest version of word on their new scope

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Tektronix dropped by a couple of weeks ago to demo the MSO3034 and 4034. They were really slick, but pricey (the 3034 was about $13K). Not likely to happen. :-(

Reply to
krw

No thanks.

John

Microsoft does sell 'Embedded XP', essentially XP but it is installed by one of their 'Partners' and you don?t get any media (cd's)

Martin Riddle

I suppose that Tek figures, "Hey, it's a $10k instrument anyway, why not provide the full-up OS?"

It's actually Windows 7 64-bit *ultimate* edition: Various extra games! Woo hoo! ...I really don't get why they didn't just got with the "Professional" edition -- it already has corporate-style (domain) networking and BitLocker (encryption)... odd...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Don't they have a 15% off sale again this year? That's almost a $2,000 saving!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

any

of

They had some sort of deal. I still think it was upwards of $13K by the time I got the I2S and I2C/SPI firmware. They did have re-furb'd demos, too. If were $.13 we would be no more likely to buy.

Reply to
krw

P any

g how

ay of

Just got a DPO-3054 at work. Nice scope but disappointed to see made in China.

G=B2

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Everything is made in Asia. A well-known instrument company "A" recently acquired another well-known instrument company "V" and is moving most of their manufacturing to Maylasia. H and P are rolling in their graves.

John

)

No, but the trace turns bright blue, and you have to hit "CTRL - SCALE

- FORCE TRIG" to reboot. :)

Actually, I shouldn't rag on Tektronics - they make truly great gear.

Reply to
mpm

Wow - I hadn't realized Windows gave up on XP. That's a shame in my opinion. XP SP-3 is (thus far) the most stable Windows I've ever used. Luckily, I purchased a "real" copy of XP-3 back in Jan 2009 from newegg. But I just checked, and indeed, all they have is Windows 7.

Of course, I don't usually run the latest & greatest software (evidenced, no doubt, by my continued use of Google Groups! ) Ha!!!

I stil run Office-97, and except for the very occasional need to have more rows in Excel (i.e., > 65k), Office 97 works just fine for me. Plus, I have a ton of special tools I've written over the years that I have zero desire to port to some other new version of Office. Plus, I understand Excel 2000 - 2007 version basically suck, badly.

That said, I guess the writing is on the wall that my next PC upgrade (which happen every 4-5 years or so), looks to be a non-XP machine. It will be my first non-XP in over a decade.

Reply to
mpm

On a sunny day (Tue, 14 Dec 2010 08:51:26 -0800 (PST)) it happened mpm wrote in :

How sad, stable enough so I burned my disk. Never again that crap. Not even if I got payed to install it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje