Ping Larkin

I put one in my NY house. It worked. We didn't have AC so between the whole house fan and pool we survived. ;-) The key to the whole house fan was blowing the attic out in the evening and cooling the house down. We then closed it up during the day. If you're going to have windows open at all you'll have pollen in the house. I prefer windows open, if possible. I certainly don't want the dust and insulation from the attic in the house!

Reply to
krw

...and useless. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Can't be. Too high for his IQ.

Reply to
krw

I've contemplated an attic "suck" squirrel cage for this time of year when the weather is offensive to liberals (who have to endure the shit-hole weather of their home states ;-)

Vent house ductwork into attic.

Cut an intake thru a wall of the house (*), outfitted with a filter, so that pollen isn't an issue (I have those problems... mostly desert dust), and that way an open window doesn't compromise the alarm system when we're away.

In the Summer I'd just "suck" the attic and garage.

(*) Thinking this thru, east and west ends of attic have roughly 4' x

4' louvered (fixed) vents. I could rig one as intake (probably east side and west side as exhaust. I can stand up in most of my attic space.

I've already looked into flame-proof vents to place between garage space and attic. They are off-the-shelf. I've also figured out how to conveniently add cat walks thru-out the attic with minimal tool effort... a service convenience I've wanted for some time. ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

Not in AZ. I can produce air (in April thru early July) so cold you would think you could hang meat (around 60ºF exit temperature at 6000 CFM ;-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

They certainly are in the other A state, about 1Kmi to the right. ;-) ...and I suppose too in the third A state a few Kmi up. ;-)

Reply to
krw

is

"A" as in asshole states ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

the

is

US.

Hell no. They're on both coasts.

Reply to
krw

Mechanical timers ignore power outages.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

Come on! His 'ID10t Quotient' is off the top of the scale!

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yeah, these boxes are pro HVAC types of units, not found in Lowes or Home Depot. You could probably find them on-line.

But, the draw is purely from the venturi in the manifold. I don't think there is a waste outlet...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

And i get an even better taste with 7 to 10 % initial fat. YMMV =20 The Johnsonville brats are about 30 to 35 %.

Reply to
JosephKK

...and they are also very cheap, reliable and will switch a lot of current. Replace that with electronics and it would cost ten times as much.

Engineering is about making the solution fit the problem, so why make stuff more complicated than it needs to be ?...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Rheem brand A/C units immerse the condenser coils in a water bath fed from a simple-minded evap cooler.

Seemed a keen idea, _except_ I fret over scaling problems, given you could build a sturdy house from Phoenix water ;-)

You just need enough area to ensure you can't pull droplets off the pads. I never had that problem, and I had a 6000CFM unit. I always used the old-fashioned Aspen pads. I tried fiberglass and those pressed paper POS'. Aspen expands when wet and doesn't develop holes.

It's been fifteen years since I last had an evap cooler, so I don't know what's available now-a-days. I got my first evap cooler at the manufacturer because they weren't then commonly available at Home Depot. Had a nice chat with the plant manager... it's a year-round business, when he wasn't selling in AZ, he was selling in Saudi Arabia ;-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

Can't send a link, but plug

Google maps wants decimal degrees, try:

60.297, -1.522

That gives the vicinity of West Burrafirth, Shetland.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Much of which leaves them if poked and barbequed properly.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You can make both do either/or. Mech times with li'l tic-toc movement in there, got one of those here. A CD4060 can be run off a large cap for a looong time. If designed right, and that's the trick.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

All you'd have to do there is lay a duct to the end of the attic, then put the fan and a filter there. But nobody makes them :-(

I was thinking about a 6" or 8" inline fan and making my own filter. But I doubt that's going to be even close in terms of required airflow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Oh yeah, that is a lonely place out there. Probably Chris' friend doesn't get bothered by door-to-door sales people a lot :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Never made your own ductwork? When I was a kid in Jr. High and High School, sheet metal shop was a requirement for all males (before equal rights... the girls had to take Home Economics ;-)

Since this would be at mild weather and/or attic exchange rate, I'd guess a 1000-2000CFM squirrel cage would do it. I'd probably use 4

20"x30" A/C filters (in an array). ...Jim Thompson