ping John Larkin

John,

A recent blog post might give you some insight into "Modern Programmers".

Robert

Reply to
Robert

I especially liked the comment about eliminating the "prevalence of state."

If I were writing a web browser, I'd certainly appreciate some degree of abstraction. In am embedded system, all abstraction means is that the programmer doesn't like hardware.

But a modern computer, with virtual memory management, isn't really a von Neumann architecture, or at least needn't be. Microsoft insists on tangling code and data, but that's just Microsoft.

John

"... isn't really a von Neumann architecture, or at least needn't be."

I think that was one of the points about "Von Neumanns long farewell".

I just liked it for the viewpoint on Software.

Robert

Reply to
Robert