OT: Taxing shituation

Nope. You fail to understand. Make the ONLY funding for ANY school via a voucher per child. Progressive tax all you want, but hand out equal amounts per child. Unless, of course, your real intent is to quadruple tax the "rich"... which I suspect the hateful "progressives" really want.

Better yet, shoot anyone with a PhD in "education", then close all the schools and let the private sector fight for the vouchers. ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Why should we have "sports" teams in schools at all? Daily calisthenics would guarantee "physical health"... give me 50 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

That Vac-U-Form looks pretty cool, actually. :-) OK, I played numerous video games as a kid as well (mostly on the truly pre-historic Atari 2600 and then a Commodore 64), but I definitely enjoyed playing with tools as well... after all, you needed some sort of structure to put your electronic gadgets into!

These days the toys from big companies like Mattel have a lot less potential for harm, I imagine, but on the other hand with the Internet and various small suppliers it's a lot easier to make some other types of toys as well, e.g., very high-powered model rockets, potato guns, Tesla coils/Jacobs ladders -- that sort of thing.

Chemistry is unfortunately a bit dicey because I fully expect most kids want to build bombs :-), yet lately the authorities seem to take a very dim very of a small stash of personal explosives, even if it's completely clear that you're a "good" kid and are just messing around on your own private property blowing up your own inanimate objects. (That being said, there are some really cool books on the matter, e.g.,

.)

If I could re-script my own childhood I think the main thing I would have appreciated now as an adult would have been a father figure who was into building "stuff ." (My mother was already separated by the time I have any significant memories, and while she remarried a perfectly fine man, it never turned into a father-son sort of relationship with either my brother or me and he wasn't much of a do-it-yourselfer, but more the kind of guy who went to work, did what was asked of him, and then primarily wanted to relax and watch TV after he got home.)

Yep, it certainly is.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I smoked out a restaurant across the alley from my Junior High School with just a simple Jetex tablet.

Today I'd be sent to prison. Back then the Principal, William Boyd (*), simply confiscated my stash and returned them to me at the end of the day, with the admonition, never again!

(*) Who we affectionately called "Hopalong" to his face ;-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

I had to look up what Jetex was... :-) There were Estes model rocket engines around when I was a kid, but not any Jetex that I recall.

In your case -- just one of the tablets shown in the picture "50c 20 solid fuel charges" here:

?

Yep, or at least court-mandated "counseling!"

Sounds like a much more reasonable response.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yep. Just one makes a HUGE quantity of smoke when ignited outside any housing :-)

Yep. Now we've gone crazy with political "correctness". I cause all kinds of consternation here in this neighborhood by writing letters-to-the-editor suggesting that certain "educators" and politicians would be best "disposed" of. They write responses saying that I'm "threatening" and the newspaper shouldn't publish what I say (so much for freedom of speech). I reply that I'm not "threatening", I'm "promising". Of course there's a faction here that writes in saying, "Jim Thompson for President"... I kid you not ;-)

My most recent missive...

" I have to laugh at all the responses to David Folts' objection to half-and-half English/Spanish instruction at Kyrene de los Ninos Elementary School. Particularly amusing is Monica Gellman's comment "...compete in global markets." Spanish? You have to be kidding! Mandarin would be more appropriate, although English is universally spoken everywhere I travel. The main problem we are facing in education is of our own making. We have abrogated control of our children's education and handed it off to the propaganda wing of the left. The only hope I can see in restoring parental control of our children's education is for the legislature to pass a 100% voucher-style funding system. This isn't likely to happen, the teacher unions are too powerful. Other than revolt/revolution I see no way to effect change. Now the neighborhood rapscallions are going to descend on me and claim that I'm anti-teacher. I'm not anti-teacher. I owe my very professional existence to my 8th-grade Algebra teacher, Evelyn Truchovesky... it's been 57 years but I still remember intently, she made me dig for information and think for myself. And, BOTH my parents were teachers... in one-room school-houses. But they were beholden to their immediate neighborhood for pay, food and parental input. Had they failed to teach as the parents wanted, they'd have been tarred and feathered and run out of town. Maybe we should return to that method?" ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

Apparently it's lost on them that if they don't like what's in the newspaper, the strongest possible response is to drop their subscriptions.

Nice. :-)

Your latest letter there is... mmm... good reading, let's say! Hopefully it'll get more people to think about the issues.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Unfortunately, having run for school board in the early '70's, I determined that parents only want to pay for baby-sitting "educators" :-( ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

I've told some of those parents that they should have to raise the funding for any sports, including building any field or stadium. they look at me like I have three heads. They really freak out when I say that schools should replace detention with making their brats work with the janitors instead of sitting on their fat asses and plotting more trouble.

I also think we need to go back to separating the kids by their ability to learn. 'Mainstreaming' the kids with learning disabilities has done nothing but drag down the entire education system. Also, if you quit school, you can't get a drivers license. Let's give them a reason to study and stop passing them to the next grade no matter how stupid they are. Why should everyone have to tiptoe around the troublemakers and morons? Some will never learn a damn thing at school, but everyone has to pay.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The babysitters would rebel.

And I vote for shooting babysitters that rebel ;-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

They would be a start at filling the Grand Canyon...

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What makes you think we're even close to the "final stage of this recession"? If the feds don't reverse the last couple of decades of damage, we never will recover. I don't see that happening.

Yes, people have to relearn that life is hard and only you can make it better. Government *can't*.

Nonsense. It's easy to hold down a job where you can never be fired and get automatic raises. It's even easier when you can't be measured by *your* contribution.

That just means you move in "older" circles. As people move up, management is the only place to go (unless you detest it so much you're unwilling to "move up").

We've seen a "lot of ruin" in just a few years.

Reply to
krw

Actually, they make a HUGE quantity of smoke when ignited INSIDE the housing - and when that smoke comes out of the nozzle, that's where the "Jet" part comes in. ;-)

I've seen one in operation, lo these many moons ago - the guy lights a fuse, much like Wile E. Coyote, and when it starts to hiss, he launches his plane, either RC or a glider.

In my not so humble opinion, the "cool" factor is marginal, other than the lighting of the fuse and making of a jet, which pyrotechnicians do routinely, albeit not necessarily while mounted on balsa wood airplanes. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The vac-u-form was a simple and fairly safe toy. The fun ones were the creepy-crawly maker (you put the liquid in the mold, and then heated it in a light bulb heated oven) and the one that used a wax like plastic to injection mold cars and such. That one got hot enough to burn you if you tried hard enough to reach in...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I don't agree. The toys today don't allow the same level of imagination. Everything is done for the kid.

Yes, I had one. No one got more than a minor burn off it and it didn't come nearly as close to burning down the house as bomb making did. ;-)

My mother was a single mom by the mid '60s, so there wasn't much for extras. My brothers were pretty much out of the house though (one in grad school, one in vet-med).

The derivative is grossly in the wrong direction.

We hope they're not caught up in the great purge.

Reply to
krw

One example does not make a generality. How many total losers were in the "normal" public school?

I wonder why we spend so much on "the arts". If people like the arts, let

*them* pay for it. How many kids owe six figures in student loans for an "Art History" degree?
Reply to
krw

text

do

Signing off on what? What's already been proven to work? It's the knuckleheads that brought you "Whole Language" reading that were doing the experimentation and screwed up a whole generation of kids. New math was similar (though I actually liked it).

Of course they are. The ones invested in the status quo will make every attempt to keep the quo.

Reply to
krw

Jim, The reason private pensions don't negate SSI is because that was the way it was designed. SSI was supposed to be a suplement, not a substitute, to private savings and pensions. Then, when the politicos realized how much power it and votes it gave them to control all those funds, they took over more and more, and encouraged businesses to get out of the pension business. Now, it is mainly GOVERNMENT workers who get pensions, guaranteed by your tax dollars, and some union workers who are finding out that you can't get blood from a stone (or a bankrupt business!)

And, if you have paid into a system your entire life, then why SHOULDN'T you accept the other half of the contract?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

There is nothing wrong with "phonics". That's the way anyone should be taught. The problem was when they went *away* from phonics to "whole language" (I'd forgotten the term last night) teaching that kids got screwed.

I had trouble (lysdexia), particularly reading aloud.

Likely more than when we were kids, actually. I certainly did with our son. Every night for a half hour at bedtime. I memorized a couple of books. ;-) "Aunt Annie's Aligator, A - A - A..."

Reply to
krw

Imagine the possibilities. Since there would be so many new students, there would be many new schools. I could buy the local high school, retain most of the teachers at the same pay, get rid of most of the administrators, and probably make a bundle! Since I wouldn't have to support four layers of administrators above me, I could then expand all the fun and interesting subjects, and start trying to teach students again, instead of just warehousing them.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.