income tax software O.T. USA only

Off topic, but almost every one here has to pay income taxes.

I used a spreadsheet to help with my taxes and then started using Tax Act. Then last year Vanguard had a deal to use Turbo Tax free. So last year I used that. But did not like it and Vanguard no longer has that deal. So I was going to use Tax Act. But Tax Act now requires a version of Window s later that the XP program that I have. So I did some searching for affor dable tax software.

And came up with Free Tax USA. It is an on line program so can use it wit h Ubuntu. And it will upload data from other software as Turbo Tax. So ju st had to verify the names, addresses,and SSBN number etc.

And I like the user interface better than either Turbo Tax or Tax Act. It gives you a form to fill out that is easier to read than the Federal form, and does not go thru a silly routine like asking if you have moved and if y ou say yes asking if you paid points for the loan.

But I did run into a problem. I get too many 1099 div statements and it st opped accepting data on about the eighteenth one. Tech support has the pro blem and we shall see how well they do. So I recommend it to anyone with fifteen or less 1099 statements , and depending on how well the Tech suppor t does maybe for those with lots of 1099 div statements.

Federal filing is free, priority support is $6 and state returns are $13.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Does it print IRS acceptable forms?

Reply to
krw

Yes and does electronic filing.

Reply to
Jim Whitby

stopped accepting data on about the eighteenth one. Tech support has the p roblem and we shall see how well they do.

Their customer support was very quick and helpful. They said there was no limit on the number of 1099 div statements entered. So I did some more che cking and found that somehow the numlock got changed between entering the a mount for ordinary dividends and entering the amount for qualifying dividen ds. Must have bumped it while entering a number, just was not conscious of doing it.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I've been using TurboTax for more years than I can remember... highly recommended. ...Jim Thompson

I don't do electronic filing. If it was hard for me to make the money, I'm going to make it hard for them to take it. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Turbo Tax is highly recommended. And most magazine articles say it is the number 1 tax program.

But I found the user interface annoying and much prefer Free Tax USA. S ince the Federal program is free, you might consider taking a look at it. If you like it, you will save enough to buy a few bottles of wine. If you do not like it, well it did not cost any money to find out. And since it will import data from last years Turbo Tax data ( in pdf format ), it will not take a lot of your time either.

Dan

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

e number 1 tax program.

Since the Federal program is free, you might consider taking a look at it. If you like it, you will save enough to buy a few bottles of wine. If yo u do not like it, well it did not cost any money to find out. And since i t will import data from last years Turbo Tax data ( in pdf format ), it wi ll not take a lot of your time either.

also see

makolber