Re: Where to buy LED flashlights in New York City?

I'm not so sure about that in the latest versions; I just got

>one of these (as a freebie at a trade show, so I have no idea >what they'd cost) using a single LumiLeds white LED and >a 3V lithium battery.

Does it look like

?? If so, that's a pretty pricey tradeshow handout! 8*) I've got one with a screw-on cap and a belt holster that fits a spare battery, and it goes everywhere with me. Really nice!

--
William Smith
ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc.    www.compusmiths.com

My kids got some "invisible ink" diaries with UV LED lights. My Uranium Glass marbles really flouresce well with that source!

--
William Smith
ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc.    www.compusmiths.com
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

You have Uranium marbles? Now I _know_ you've lost your marbles! ;-)

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

Uranium glass. It's greenish, aka "vaseline glass".

Reply to
Dave VanHorn

Yeah, they are a lot of fun, they flouresce very brightly under UV light, and nearly double the background count on my dosimeter when I leave it lying on them. I don't exactly leave them lying around where kids can put them in thier mouths, but they are a lot safer than a lot of the other stuff around here...

Google for uranium glass or vaseline glass sometime.

--
William Smith
ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc.    www.compusmiths.com
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

So if you're required to wear a dosimiter, do the higher than average readings make people edgy and curious as to how you're approaching the 'glow-in-the-dark' stage???

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

No; I wouldn't trust this one to be that well-sealed against the elements, for one thing. But I was pleasantly surprised by the construction of this thing, given that it was a freebie!

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

If I were required to wear the dosimeter, the marbles would add about

10 percent of the allowable WHO allowable limits, which is to say they'd never notice. Only folks who don't know anything about radiation get wierded out by my marbles, the sources in their smoke detectors, plane flights, airport X-ray machines, etc. I'm not required to wear a dosimeter, it's a fun toy. [Besides, after the dirty bomb goes off, they'll be hard to come by, so I stocked up early. 8*]
--
William Smith
ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc.    www.compusmiths.com
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

And a lot more dead flashlights sitting in drawers, cars, and other places. Sure, if they get a lot of use, rechargable batteries are nice, but they'll self-discharge to uselessness in a month or two. I dunno how many flashlights I've got, but if I had to worry about keeping their batteries charged I'd end up doing nothing else...

--
William Smith
ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc.    www.compusmiths.com
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

progressed

would

I don't know about you, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for the several cordless phones, cell phones and cordless tools I have. They come with a cradle to put them in when not in use. Another way is like the ones we have at work: there is a fold-out plug on the side of the flashlight and it stays plugged into the wall when not in use.

This isn't rocket science, you know. The cost or a rechargeable cordless phone, screwdriver or whatever might be in the $20 to $30 range, less on sale. The leap from a 900 MHz full duplex transceiver to a simple light beam is a leap backwards in technology.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Half the people you meet are below the average intelligence of people you meet. [I don't hang out in places (*) that represent a statistical sample of intelligences]

(*) except for newsgroups, of course. 8*)

--
William Smith
ComputerSmiths Consulting, Inc.    www.compusmiths.com
Reply to
William P.N. Smith

"Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Those cordless phone batteries are intended for frequent use. Flashlights mostly sit around for long periods before being used. Those lithiums have a 10 year shelf life.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

meet

Creep!

But did you know that most people have more fingers than the average?

-- Graham W

PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial WIMBORNE
Wessex Dorset UK Astro Society's Web pages, Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

Reply to
Graham W