(New York) Trade ARM9 EVBs for ARM7

So... do you have one or two spare ARM7 EVBs or header boards you're not using?

I wanted a 32-bit micro for a little weekend project and thought I'd use the two STR91x dongles I have here. Unfortunately the chip in question (STR912FW44X6) is at best casually documented and requires a full day of frustration just to get an LED blinking. So much for getting this project finished over the Labor Day weekend; these boards are going back into my huge archive of unwanted EVBs.

The boards have 96MHz ARM966E-S core, 512K flash, 96K RAM, device-side USB and an Ethernet MAC, among other things - see for more details. These are 'lite" boards, which mostly means no CAN transceiver. They do have the Ethernet PHY and magnetics, and the USB connector.

I'd happily trade both of these for one or two [identical] boards based on a decent ARM7 like the LPC2148; all I need is 32~64K of flash, 8K of RAM and a few ADCs. Olimex header boards would be perfect

- I already have dozens of EVBs from Keil, Raisonance etc which are useless either because they only work with one particular toolchain (ST's STM32 Circle) or because they have all kinds of unwanted hardware bolted onto the sides.

Email me if you're a masochist with spare time, you want to play with Ethernet on an ARM9, and you're interested in a trade!

Reply to
larwe

Hello,

I can understand that you might not like the board (I hardly ever use eval boards) but I found the chip OK. I designed one in recently and apart from an odd issue with a chip errata (documented and my own fault for using some old revision chips) I found it reasonably easy to get up and running. If you use the ST library to get started and then kick it out progressively as you go it's not too bad at all. I thought the chip user manual and support library documentation was quite good.

I do use the full paid for Keil tool set for ARM and had previously used the Atmel SAM parts.

Having said all that I've given up on the STR9 in favour of the STM32 (ARM Cortex parts) - similar performance and cheaper. I can't help but feel that the STR9 family won't be developed much further.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

It's usually the fastest way to bring up a new design. At my day job I need to wait months for arguments and paperwork before a board can be brought into existence; at home, I don't want to spend the money on a PCB until I've proved out some of the concept on a breadboard.

TI has exactly the right idea - they make little EVBs with a ZIF socket and 100 mil headers all round. I'm using one of those to bring up an MSP430F2370 design right now and it is just a delight.

Eh. The documentation did improve between the FW and FAW parts, but I'm working with an FW chip. The documentation is unbelievably poor. I challenge you to get even as far as toggling a GPIO based solely on the information in the chip datasheet.

at

I agree with that analysis. I'm not a big ST fan, to be honest, but I would like to use the STM32 here too. Unfortunately the EVB (again!) is the little STM32 circle device, which has an onboard Raisonance debugger and no real JTAG port. Since I use CrossWorks, which doesn't support the Raisonance JTAG adapter, I'm annoyed :/

Yes of course I could buy an Olimex header board but I was really hoping to work with something I have on hand, so I can get a useful chunk of work done this weekend. I think I'm going to have to hack the STM32 board so I can use it with a normal JTAG debugger.

Still doesn't give me all the I/Os but it gives me enough to start working on my project, at least. And it has an accelerometer onboard, which saves me from hand-wiring to my own.

Reply to
larwe

If you can live with 8 bits Atmega169, I can get you one with accelerometer (8 pins CLCC) and a 3 digits LCD. It has both SPI and JTAG connections. Since we are moving to 6502, we can unload our AVR inventory really cheap.

Reply to
linnix

I have several thousand scrap PCBs with an MSP430 and an ADXL322. Unfortunately I need more flash and a much faster MCU.

Reply to
larwe

Geez, can you say what happened?

Can I get some :)?

--
		Przemek Klosowski, Ph.D.
Reply to

6% of them have soldering defects because of a solder mask issue. For various reasons we can't trust them for the application at hand.

No. But I can send you some bare ADXL322s if they are of use, I have many (many) sample chips lying around. Email me. Be warned, they are QFN package.

Reply to
larwe