OT: Sad Days for America and the World- Four More Years of Hell

I read in sci.electronics.design that SioL wrote (in ) about 'Sad Days for America and the World- Four More Years of Hell', on Mon, 24 Jan 2005:

Just like 1914 and 1940, then! (;-)

John Woodgate

I think Germany is their biggest problem right now.

They're swamped with them already and aren't eager to see more move in.

SioL

1996 S-10 1989 - Merc Gand Marquis :)
Reply to
Brian

Sorry, should have rephrased. Germans are Turkey's problem on their way to EU.

SioL

See? Can't even afford the "r"

Reply to
Brian

We've already thrown open our borders to two third-world countries, and we're swamped with strange-looking foreigners who can't speak the language and eat funny food. Three, if you count New York.

John

Do any of the weird foreigners favor taxing shopping bags at ~5000% rather than just re-using most of them for kitchen garbage or picking up dog poo?

Let's see, 50E6 bags at 10lb/1000 (250 tons per year) compared to 8E6 tons of trash per year represents 0.003% of SF's waste stream.

"It's a huge part of the waste stream," Department of the Environment spokesman Mark Westlund said.

Unfortunately, SF has no monopoly on this sort of thing...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

We already take ours back to Safeway, but apparently the Board of Supervisors (aka Stupidvisors) is going to require supermarkets to charge 17 cents per bag. Why 17, can't imagine... soda bottles are only 5 cents. And the soda bottles are redeemable, so you never see them on the street. This morning there was an old Asian lady going through our recycling bin picking out the bottles to cash in. But the plastic bags aren't redeemable, so if there's one on the ground, it'll stay there.

John

through the net.

Nah, more sushi bars.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Well, if you multiply your $.17 The number I heard also) times Spehro's

50E6, one comes up with $8.50E6. Two decimal place accuracy? Perhaps your city council needs to plug an $8.5M hole in the budget somewhere? ....like buying more shoping baskets for the homeless?

Gee, it's funny that the city collects the money, eh?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Yeah, the snow-white beaches of Toronto are lovely this time of year.

John

Sounds fair. The penalty for illegally leaving Cuba is a bullet in the back.

John

The game is called "hide the baloney". 50E6 bags at $.17ea (IIRC that was the proposed bag-tax) is 8.5megabucks into the city's pocket. Sounds like a typical leftist racket to me.

The loose nuts tend to roll west (and other blue states) though.

--
  Keith
Reply to

The penalty for illegally visiting Cuba should be illegal detainment at Guantánamo.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Nope. Legal detainment. ;-)

--