The end of the world

Dont know about anyone else, but I found it quite dissapointing. Perhaps round 2 in 23 days (correct me if I am wrong) will be much more impressive...

Reply to
The Real Andy

Live webcams below are impressive:

Den

some more stuff here

such as 0.00000000047 grams = total mass of protons circulating in the LHC at any time.

362 megajoules = collective energy of LHC's protons at top speed.

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Dumping the beam is a special problem in itself. The proton beam can melt a half ton of copper:

In experiments, researchers found that an 86-microsecond exposure of the beam would bore a hole 40 meters into a block of copper:

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

low mass & big joules, lets you appreciate how fast they're going.

Reply to
Den

This is interesting:

US$4.1 billion = cost of building the LHC. US$4.5 billion = cost of the USS Ronald Regan.

Now which of these two do you consider worse waste of money?

I'll take colider anytime.

TheM

And the real webcams:

Camera 4, at the LHC beam exit, is already offline :-)

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Not there's your practical application, tunnel digging. A few seconds and you've got a perfectly straight intercontinental tunnel, never mind short ones like the british channel, that's what, hundred miliseconds? Just remember to turn it off on time.

TheM

Absolutely incredible.

An IEEE page you don't have to pay for.

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Probably due to low quality of the article. Read below:

"Next, the 0.2-millimeter proton beam passes through 10 dilution magnets, which cause the protons to fan out until the beam has thickened to a lower-intensity diameter of 1.5 mm. Now fattened to the width of a human hair, the ..."

1.5mm? Maybe on yeti, deffinitely not human. M
Reply to
TheM

Saw that, almost wiki'd it, but resisted

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Let's hope so...

Reply to
PeterD

Perhaps an RCH?

Reply to
Eric

I already saw the end of the world. Did you see a TV show called Hole in the Wall? I was hoping for a black hole to scoop me up.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I dated a red-head in high school... just had to scientifically verify that "red-head => red-...." ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 The difference between a horse\'s asshole & Bill Sloman\'s mouth?
                            Lipstick!

So, where does the material go to? Vapor? That'd be one helluva blast, to vaporize tons of copper in milliseconds.

Thanksl Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Tons? That's some really heavy copper then.

Reply to
PeterD

But the neocons salivate at the thought of the military killing machines and the death and havoc they can wreak on anyone who doesn't want to submit to their iron fist.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Beard? ;-)