Sad and Scary

Sad and Scary...

While waiting for my wife at the eye doctor's office I was reading the May 2010 issue of US News and World Report...

Listing of best jobs for recent college grads: Only "engineering" listing was Computer Programmer :-( ...Jim Thompson

mike

Reply to
m II

Well, we've spent the last 30 years decimating the American work force sending everything over seas especially to China so what do you expect?

You run some sort of a small company, How many engineers have you recently hired?

Reply to
Bob Eld

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Well, there may not be any hardware engineering jobs, but the SubWay sandwitch places around here are hiring for all three shifts. I might apply for the morning shift. I like the "Double bacon and cheese omelet." for $2.95. I eat it 3 times a week and know how to make it.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

And even MIT seems not to offer a pure "EE" degree anymore. Looks like they've hopped on the Computer Science bandwagon too.

mpm

Then why are clients constantly asking me for help finding a good engineer?

Currently looking for a second one for Florida (we found the first one but that took some time) and then another one for Alaska. The one for Florida isn't EE this time though, more ceramics and production technologies.

To me, what newspapers or professors predict isn't necessarily true. If I had listened to them I'd have done what 99% plus did back when I was in college, move to SW. Some of them then moved on to sales. I am sure glad I did not listen because I find that engineers who can design tough transistor-level stuff are in high demand. Right here in our country.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

^ ^ SEASONED They're not hiring recent grads. Recent grads can't even do Ohm's Law :-(

...Jim Thompson

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault:  Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

Ahm, yes, must be seasoned. In Europe many companies throw out older engineers by the droves, and they will eventually pay for it via declining design quality and thus sales. But getting them over here would be a major bureaucratic hurdles. Very expensive.

I know some really good younger ones though, at clients. Pretty much all of those either have a ham radio background or are serious hobbyists. One even builds his own electric ATVs.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

all

Or induction heaters ;-)

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

... and handling hissing and glowing tubes without gloves or anything :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

1.3 million programmers
1.6 million engineers

Oh well.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

You could do graphics. Then your resumes could look like this (joke alert):

e-infographic.jpg

It has a nice coffee intake plot, though I don't drink coffee that late into the day. The humor plot looks nice too. I want to develop an excel spreadsheet that tracks a lot of those factors, and more, so I can copy this guy's style. A resume should be concise, this would make a nice 'third page', but the first two should still be the normal method.

Reply to
Nunya

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

..

Good layout, but his lack of Y-axes disconcerts me... does it bother anyone else?

Reply to
Michael

the

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

/...

For a Marketeer? No, that would be another critical skill - obfuscation (a.k.a. BS in a dress).

Reply to
keithw86