RJ-45 ethernet to optical and back

Hi,

I was thinking about cutting an RJ-45 cable and hooking up the differential transmit wires to an LED (through a differential to single ended transformer) and then hooking the differential receiving wires up to a photodiode through another differential to single ended transformer and aiming them at eachother! :) Would something like this work? I am sure that amplification would be required also, and everything would have to be fast enough for 10mbit operation at least, but it seems like a quick way to make a wireless internet without any special software required as it would essentially just be a repeater..

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

No. You need a fair bit more than this, unfortunately.

This can be done, and you can get pre-built modules that do it, but it's a bit more than just an LED/transformer. At minimum, you've probably got to regenerate the data bits.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

For 5mm you mean ? You need some optics to get decent beams for whatever distance you were thinking at. Then you also have to get rid of the ambient light, unless you want to use it only in the dark. And then there are the impedances. A LED is somehow not good enough and a photodiode neither.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Check this out

Andrew Holme