OT: Here comes da Judge

Yep. My son-in-law asked for a death penalty in his closing statement and the jury agreed. Justice has been served. ...Jim Thompson

Ian Field

In other words; the defendant's fate is decided by a dozen people who're too stupid to get out of jury duty!

Reply to
Ian Field

I have a proposal. Abolish individual death penalties. You decide how many jail cells you want. You rank everybody in the jail by badness. When a new guy comes in, he gets put into the order according to his badness score. And you execute the baddest guy to make room. Won't be long before we're executing people for shoplifting. Now THAT's a deterrent...or self limiting, depending on your point of view. Problem solved.

Reply to
mike

--
I read about an idea something like that, except there's only one
cell...

Ian Field, and all the leftists of his ilk, always have a snarky come-back... never a real solution. Since clearly Ian fits the class we've now defined on this side of the pond as _LIV_ (low information voters), might I suggest that be the criteria... if you're LIV... poof

But leave Ian for me... just call me "The Scuminator" >:-}

The problem is that we have given up punishing simple infractions. Simple thievery used to be minimized by a day in the stocks, and getting tomatoes thrown at you... and there was FAMILY SHAME.

More serious crimes, 50 lashes in the public square... on cable TV would be best now.

Now there is no such thing as family values... thanks to the leftists and the gutless school system. ...Jim Thompson

Having Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson carrying on about Low Information Voters has just pegged my irony meter.

Jim is definitely poorly informed scum in this context.

Actually there are family values, but we live in big enough communities that people who don't have them aren't recognised as such quite as quickly as they were in villages and small towns, back when travel was slower and more expensive.

Human society has always been about keeping tags on free-loaders, but fast cheap travel has changed the way we find and control them.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

Indeed - you leave a stain wherever you go.

Reply to
Ian Field