OT: Here comes da Judge

OT:

My son-in-law, Jim Coil, was just elected Presiding Judge of Yuma ;-)

In his 25 years as prosecutor, he put more people on death row than any other prosecutor in Arizona history >:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

I understand there are a lot of people who come to Arizona to die. He was just helping a few along, no? Very admirable of him. I bet he helps little old ladies across the street too...

When people talk about how the death penalty curbs murders it makes me think of the quite old Volvo commercial where one guy bought a new Volvo and the neighbor has his Belchfire 2000 in the driveway. The neighbor is saying his car must be good, he's had 12 of them in the last 17 years... otherwise, "Why would I buy so many?"

The death penalty must reduce the murder rate, otherwise why would we execute so many... Wait, what?

--

Rick
Reply to

How cool! You must be so proud.

How many of them were innocent?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Yeah, lots of guys don't like their son-in-laws, but if he kills people, Jim will be proud of him.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

I neither condone nor approve of the death penalty. But, when one person was asked by the media if they thought the death penalty discouraged crime, he retorted, "Mister, you ever seen a dead man commit a crime?"

Reply to
John S

It doesn't make sense any more. Most guys on Death Row now die of old age, after millions of dollars of special-unit-incarceration and appeals costs.

Worse, they get multiple re-trials, and many eventually are found not guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt." It's hard to find credible witnesses 25 years after the fact.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

None. My son-in-law is the most honest person I've ever met. I've been shopping in a grocery store with him and we were approached by people he'd sent up who thanked him for being fair.

He does his own crime scene investigation to be sure.

Keep in mind his "score" is helped along by a _huge_ drug traffic across the Mexican border.

And they tend to kill each other and any innocent bystanders that happen to be in the way.

Would you not want those people disposed of? ...Jim Thompson

You're mentally ill, get help now! ...Jim Thompson

Not drug runners. Even liberals don't jump forth to support them.

Nope. You're shooting off your mouth without fact. This is Arizona, not Californica.

As for punishment, I think the penalty for those heathens who beat the

88 year old to death, or those who killed the Aussie baseball player, "just for fun", should be horsewhipped in the public square, until dead... and it should be on TV.

That's the sort of punishment that discourages replication. ...Jim Thompson

If you had half a brain I'd respond... ...Jim Thompson

You mean the best way would be to legalise drugs? Then even fewer would be killed or turned into criminals.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Irrelevant. The function of a prosecuting attorney is to put the prosecution case to the jury, to the best of his ability.

Guilt or innocence is decided by the jury, on the evidence presented by both the prosecution and defense, mediated by the Judge.

Miscarriages can happen, it's one of the penalties of living in an organized society.

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

Murder 1 has two possible punishments, life without parole, or death. The jury decides. In Yuma, a jury is almost always 100% or nearly

100% Hispanic... they take care of their own ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Dense as a stump. These are Mexican cartel types who spill over the border, those who Napolitano and Obama claim are no problem.

They have gun battles in the streets of Yuma. ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, what's your point, that it's ok?

--

Rick
Reply to

Which half do you think I have, the right or the left? Lol. You mean you can't respond intelligently...

--

Rick
Reply to

You've said nothing intelligent he can respond to.

Reply to
tm

You have known, proven already in your previous "technical" responses. ...Jim Thompson

it would probably make the world a safer and corrupt place to live, but there is a whole lot of powerful people and organizations that would lose money and power if it was legal

the police would be against it because they would loose their jobs and funding politicians would be against they like to sound tough on crime and it is a good excuse to make more crazy laws and more surveillance lots of companies that make gadgets to police and various agencies would be out of business those who run prisons make money storing prisoners (and basically use them as slave labor ) so they don't want anything that makes less criminals

Drug cartels only make millions because what they sell is illegal, if what they sold was legal they would be poor farmers, so they would probably spend some of their billion on politicians that want drugs to be illegal

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Illegal or legal, the politicians win. Make them legal, they'll be "sin taxed". ...Jim Thompson