My computer is slow, My son says latency is high.

My computer has been slow for a long time, My son is visiting and brought his computer and one of his games has a latency chart running and the latency might average 400ms. If I do a speedtest ping is 40 or 50ms. Where do I start? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

ms.

40 to 50 ms is not fast, but not terrible. I think what your son is measur ing includes many samples some of which are likely timing out and never res ponding.

I am on a wireless link to a small, commercial network that then ties into Comcast. The local network can be very congested. Normally my times range from 20 to 40's with infrequent higher values and no timeouts. When it ge ts a bit congested the higher double digits become more frequent with occas ional numbers above 100 and some timeouts. I can still watch videos, but q uality may suffer and web pages start loading more slowly. Once the timeou ts get worse than 1 in 10ish I can't watch videos and web pages may not loa d properly. I can call the provider, but his only recourse is to reboot hi s network which he doesn't want to do until very early AM.

Command line test

ping -t 8.8.8.8

That's an IP address of a major name server which is essentially always up with an always rapid response. When I'm at friend's houses who have cable the numbers are between 10 and 30 ms solid.

Food for thought. Good luck.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

Buy a modern PC and hook it up with 5G wifi

TTman

While I was calling my IP, I reset my Modem and then my router. I made all the difference. Even his phone would scroll so much faster. It has not been that long since I reset everything. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

  • I believe that is Google.

Reply to
Robert Baer

ing and

kek

When trouble shooting any problem with a home network ALWAYS reboot the net work devices. That alone will fix some 90% of problems. I assumed you had done that. They are computers after all.

Now that your system is working, what do you get for ping times?

ping -t 8.8.8.8

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

50ms.

asuring includes many samples some of which are likely timing out and never responding.

nto Comcast. The local network can be very congested. Normally my times r ange from 20 to 40's with infrequent higher values and no timeouts. When i t gets a bit congested the higher double digits become more frequent with o ccasional numbers above 100 and some timeouts. I can still watch videos, b ut quality may suffer and web pages start loading more slowly. Once the ti meouts get worse than 1 in 10ish I can't watch videos and web pages may not load properly. I can call the provider, but his only recourse is to reboo t his network which he doesn't want to do until very early AM.

Yes, and it is distributed so you should get a fast response no matter wher e you are, in the US anyway.

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ricketty C

ing and

kek

We have similar problem. Previously we have a linux box doing the routing, so they blamed the linux box. We are now using the same modem/router with out the external router, so the problem shows up sooner. I think it's exha usting some memory resources on the modem/router. We just have to power cy cle the modem/router every week.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I used OOKLA speedtest, and got 18ms ping. My sons test goes out to 16 sites and graphs each one all on one graph. After the reset, it averaged about 100ms vs 400ms before.

Here's the Latency test of 16 places.

If I use this, Latency is around 85ms plus or minus 30ms.

Here's the main site,

From here click test my internet, you have 4 choices, click latency, Mine graphed Texas, but find the "Test my Latency in Green next to the Texas button. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

point MTR, (or winMTR) at the game server.

  Jasen.
Reply to
Jasen Betts

There are too many reasons for latency, I can suggest a few but a number of analytic tools need to be run.

Network:

Ethernet , Wifi

- Wifi suffers from Rician Fading and much slower burst rates than 1Gbps - Wifi is sensitive to SNR vs speed and path loss variation dropouts. - when < -70 dBm, 11 Mbps can be faster than 54 Mbps due to this for example

I have specialized in streamlined Windows since Win 95 and once volunteered as an Admin on Paltalk PCTECH room so I have fixed thousands of PC's (no-charge).

I have evaluated but successfully operated without an AV suite, WinDefender since KAV 1.0.

FWIW on my 8-core i7 16GB,

Win7 Ultimate x64 booting to ~45 processes was fastest by far. CPU use 1~2% Win8 x64 was slower with around ~60 processes post-boot CPU use 5% Win 10 was slowest sometimes with over 120 processes even when trimmed down to run & like Win7 with most CP.

ethernet ping -t 8.8.8.8 ranges from 9 to 22ms but mostly 10,12ms. Speedtest.net results = 10ms 89 mbps / 10 mbps

FYI when you have 2 cores any process can use 50% of CPU max, with 4 cores sharing , 1 process can only use 25% max and with 8 cores 12.5% avg max, regardless of number of threads but some apps have exceptions

The AV suites and Diagnostic bloat is pervasive and may be disabled.

There is a process to analyze/fix root causes of delays if you want serious help.

Otherwise run> MSINFO32 can export the results to a log for casual investigation by email.

This result should appear on your screen in a blink of the eye from the run command. Save > yourname.NFO > (10s) then email to me ~ 1MB (?)

I use ProcExp from Mark Russinovich's

and others to monitor application/schedule/task/service outliers.

For minimal-security, I use StartupMonitor and WinPatrol as I install a lot of apps.

For Games, the GPU load is greatly dependant on video pixel size on dual monitors.

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

Is the "latency" just internet ? Or do you have other slowdowns ?

An average of 400 ms is unusable. Peak of 400 ms is not good either but not as bad as average.

Try this tool...

boB

Which site did you use for your speed test? A speed test run by your unspecified ISP? Each will produce a different delay dependent on the number of servers between you and the test server. From my Cruzio DSL line, traceroute to

shows 19 msec, while tracerout to speedtest.xfinity.com shows 24 msec.

The latency delay produced by ping, traceroute, and various web pages only include the round trip time from your ethernet or wireless card, through your network, your router, modem, ISP router, and back again. However, the latency shown by your son's unspecified game includes a rather substantial delay in processing the game video. It's normally not measured in milliseconds, but rather in FPS (frames per second).

500 millisec would be 2 frames per second, which sucks, but is typical of what I would expect with the video system found in a laptop. In other words, comparing network latency, with video card latency is like comparing apples and lemons.

Same as always. You should know the drill.

  1. What problem are you trying to solve? In this case, what is slow?
  2. What do you have to work with? Computer description, your LAN description (wireless, wired 10/100/1000, fiber, two tin cans and a string)? What manner of internet connection? Cable, DSL, ISDN, WISP, dialup? Could you verify that you're using Windoze 7?
  3. What have you done so far to solve the problem and what happened? If you've done nothing but complain, that's fine.

With a better description of your computer and internet setup, I can make a better guess why your computer might be slow. Often, it's something really obscure, like the wrong DNS servers or really irritating, like wi-fi interference or too many Zoom conferences. Or, your hard disk drive is wearing out and being slowed down doing error correction. Try running a S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic to see if it complains about something. Try Speedfan: Install, run, and click the "SMART" tab.

Other than that, this kind of question is probably too much for an electronic design newsgroup. I suggest you try again in a PC repair forum or newsgroup or maybe a forum specific to your unspecified brand of computer.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That is about normal for ADSL but very slow for decent cable service.

From the UK I see an average 70ms +/- 20 on a rural 6Mbps ADSL 2+ line.

Japan and Australia are outliers at 300 and 350 and all European sites cluster around 50ms. West coast US, Singapore and Bangalore all ~200ms New York 125ms.

I get about 44ms on the worst wet string rural connection in the UK using ADSL 2+ with FASTPATH disabled because the line is so error prone it won't work without INTERLEAVE error correction. Back in the days when the line was still half decent I got 19-20ms ping times on basic ADSL.

What sync speed are you seeing? And how fast can it transfer bulk data once it has established a connection. Your latency will make games unplayable but may be a necessary evil to make the connection work.

My money is on data interleaving on a noisy phone line. What statistics for sync, SNR, soft and uncorrectable errors does your modem give?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Ever consider a Backup of personal files with Apps & a Clean install?

Do you have a list of HW & SW and what do you consider Slow? Boot? Websurf?

DPCMON is a good tool to simulate measuring real-time audio delay for trial and error fixes but needs more expertise on fixing the problem.

Like any design. give specs. Performance Now = Was =

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

When was the box manufactured? I had similar problems with a Linksys BESFR41 Cable/DSP Router. It turned out that the original router was not fast enough for the new and much faster datarates provided by COMCAST. The solution was to buy a new BESFR41 unit.

I have also had printer problems that turned out to be a failing NetGear GS608 8-port hub. A new GS608 fixed the problem.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

amdx wrote in news:rc39di$rbn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Network latency can be due to any one or more of many factors.

An old computer can be 'latency' burdened at the cpu level on video streaming and processing of audio in video streams even from a file local to your machine. So a video game that relies on texture maps and such that are local means that you need good graphics processing and cpu power to play the modern graphics rich games, much less the gameplay engine itself of "hopping up to grab a coin" or "ducking down and shooting an enemy in the knee first"

There is a "low latency" kernel version of Ubuntu called "Ubuntu Studio" for multi-media oriented users that has a tweaked up kernel for prviding glitch free video, etc.

But what you describe sounds like network latency numbers on a networked game. Another game to see the network lag numbers on is "Armagetron Advanced". Where you thought you killed him with your light cycle but in reality he killed you with his.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I know the feeling. I purchased about 30 Linksys EA2700 wireless routers, which I sold and installed for various home users. Two years later, I'm removing them and replacing them with Asus wireless routers (RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U, and RT-AC86U). The problem was when I first sold the EA2700 routers, Comcast was delivering 50 Mbits/sec maximum, which the EA2700 could easily handle.

Roll forward about 4 years, and Comcast is now delivering 100 to 300 Mbits/sec, which the EA2700 cannot handle. Asus RT-AC86U can do about

900 Mbits/sec wired WAN->LAN, which should be enough headroom for a while: See Routing Performance table.

The cable modems were also a problem. I was originally selling Motorola/Arris SB-6141 modems, that worked well up to about 80 Mbits/sec and not very well up to about 100 Mbits/sec. So, I'm now replacing them with SB-6183 modems, that work up to 300 Mbits/sec.

You can find router performance test results at:

The GS608 is an 8 port switch, not a hub. I have a GS608v3 somewhere under the mess on my desk. The v1 and v2 version were junk and would die after about a year from bulging electrolytic capacitors. v3 is better because they fixed the flow control, but still has bulging capacitor problems. To save money, the box has only has 128 KBytes of packet buffering. That will bite if you're going from

1Gbit/sec to 10 Mbits/sec half-duplex. Netgear products like to blow up the 12v power supplies due to the usual bulging caps. If yours acts weird, try a different power supply. I haven't tried any v4 switches but I'm told that they're better and nicer looking.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The new BfEFSR41 (ver 4.2) was bought new in January 2017, and so far no problems.

My GS608 is a v4, bought new in July 2018. So far, no problems, so I haven't opened anything up.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

My money is on Malware causing your slow PC.

Get allow updates, run monthly

Takes aonly a few minutes. Fast > reboot > fixes most simple malware. Report back results.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart