OT? Where is "address book" in my cell phone.

OT? Where is "address book" in my cell phone?

I had assumed that the "address book" data for my cell phone was actually in my cell phone, in the SIMM card or some other memory area.

But when I turn on the phone and go straight to address book, it often says to wait. Then the light goes off and I push some button and it still says to wait, and again. If it takes so long to get it, does that mean it's at the wireless offices? It seems to take a while sometimes even when I have 4 or 5 bars signal strength. OTOH, sometimes it's there immediately, I think.

I have a Motorola phone on, I think, the Cingulary/AT&T network. I would think it's the same for all phones and all networks, right?

Thanks

Reply to
mm

Depends on the phone and the network. My ancient Nokia (Verizon) had the phonebook on the device - ready instantly. My wife's Motorola (either T-Mobile or AT&T) has to be on a while to get the phonebook.

When my new Motorola (AT&T) is finally activated sometime tomorrow, I'll find out what it does.

The only solution to "wait" for the phonebook is to eep the phone on all the time - meaning that you need a charger at home, at work, and in the car...

John

Reply to
news

Did you try reading the manual???

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

It says wait when loading data from the sim card. Data transfer from sim is slow.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Geez any idiot can figure out that the phone is doing many things when you first turn it on and it takes time to simultaniously process communications parameters and load a contacts database from the simm.

Reply to
Meat Plow

My phone (LG flip phone) seems to have two phonebooks, one in the sim card and one somewhere else. I found this out when I was told to "copy the phone book to the sim card" before sending in the phone (minus sim card and battery) for warranty replacement.

Under "Copy all Contacts" in the Address Book menu, there are two options: "SmartChip to Handset" and "Handset to Smart Chip."

When I turn the phone off and then on again, the address book is available as soon as the phone boots.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Both, on my Blackberry I have the option of using the address book in the phone's memory or the address book on the SIM card.

Reply to
Harry Hamilton

You would get the most accurate answer from the Motorola tech support, or possibly the tech support for hour phone service provider.

Most mobile phones, except for PDA's keep their address book in a file that is not user accessible in the phone itself. With the Motorola phones and others that I had, with their optional backup and control software I was able to back up and restore the address book. I also backed up the complete phone to my computer's hard disk.

I was also able to export the address book, appointments, notes, and etc to MS Office including a spreadsheet file, or some other types of softwares. I could then edit the information on my PC, and then restore the list back to the phone. Some of the new phones and their backup software allow the phone information to be backed except for its operating system parameters to Yahoo and other on line services.

I once had an address list in a phone become corrupted. I simply wiped the phone, and restored a complete backup that I previously saved on my computer.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Well, mine is also Motorola.

Well, I do have a charger at home, in the car, and no office, but I only use the phone sometimes. I think I will have to get in the habit of turning the phone on when I'm considering making a call, which should usually be earlier than when I'm ready to make it.

Thanks

Reply to
mm

I don't want to take their time for something I'm only curious about. Or mine trying to find them.

You guys otoh volunteered. :)

You mean it's in the phone but not user accessible? Never mind. See what's next.

There is no software for this phone, I think. I'm going to try to look for the model. Okay, it's a C139, but really don't go looking for the manual. I have the manual, in print and in a pdf file. And please don't put any more energy into this, any of you, than what you can answer off the top of your head. It's just not worth it.

And yes Shaun, I read the manual, but that was when I got it 3 years ago. But your suggestion worked. "Your Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card contains personal information such as your phone number and phonebook entries." Boy, it sure is slow. I have about 20 entries that are no more than 20 bytes each, so that's 10 to 30 seconds for

400 bytes!!

I don't think this one has any communcation ability with a computer. It has an earphone jack and a mini-mini-phone plug recharging jack.

Harry and Smitty brought up address book options, and when I finally remembered to look just now, midnight, the phone was dead. By tomorrow it should be charged. HEY! the phone probably works while it's being charged. I have no address book options, only the address book itself.

I have the cheapest plan I could find. A go-phone costs 100 dollars a year, and I pay a dollar every day I actually use the phone and 10 cents a minute. I only use about 15 dollars a year so the phone was worth about 270 dollars, and climbing. I considered selling it to someone for 100 or 150, but decided to spend more time on the phone, just chatting with a friend. This is how they suck me in.

Thanks to everyone who tried to be helpful.

Reply to
mm