OT: "Global Warming" vs. "Science"

For a smart guy, you sure can say dumb shit.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

At least I quote the prior poster.

As for "dumb shit", I think you've proven yourself ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Say something quotable ... or notable ... or respectable ...

Read the f'ing literature. This is not a trivial matter. The typical right-wing response to dire warnings like this are a recipie for disastor.

You know a hell of a lot about current mirrors and all of that and you seem to be among the finest of the M.I.T. pukes, yet you persist in exercising a closed mind in some areas.

Your education was perhaps somewhat ineffective ... sadly this can be observed in many engineers and scientists. Arrogance is a deadly sin.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

This really is a serious issue and we should not simply dismiss the mounting evidence of global warming.

Reply to
timthespoonman

Arrogance comes with years of experience, and lack of susceptibility to BUZZ-WORD "science" explanations.

Ignorance seems to be what you were born with and never shook off ;-)

...Jim Thompson

So PROVE something already! The only evidence is "puke" (not my kind of word... it's a "Schulerism", but I'll use it :-) leftist weenie "science".

...Jim Thompson

Of course it is serious. I am running out of patience with my GOP friends. Granted that there are cycles on cycles and our observations are rather recent, but the possible consequences are so dire that we simply have to wake up and smell the CO2.

They (the GOP types) toss out "junk science" and "anecdotal data" and other such labels to make peace with their troubled souls and to ward off the reasonably concerned among us. Enough of that!

I have no idea if global warming is man-made or God-made or OPEC made ... it does not matter, because it cannot be definitively answered at this point in time. BUT, what is the harm in beginning to reduce greenhouse gas emission now? What is the harm in spending more tax dollars on clean energy research? What is the harm in funding and promoting more efficient use of energy?

The new director of NASA wants to spend billions ... could be a trillion or more ... on leaving this planet ... what a load of political manure that is. We better learn to respect OUR planet and better understand it and thus treat it more kindly because we are here for the long term, or we are nowhere. Star Trek is simply TV.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

The way I felt this morning, just give me a couple of years and it won't matter.

Reply to
Richard Henry

YaKnow, I was recently looking at one of those nice edumacational specials about climate, particularly back around 1000AD when the climate was a little WARMER than it is today. They extoled the virtues of that time, with grapes growing in England, the colonization of Greenland, and how everyone was having such a great time.

But now, that we are possibly approaching similar climate conditions, it is the greatest disaster since the last ice age! Can't we even be a little consistent in our apocolypses? 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

You can't reason with the "Chicken Little" crowd.

They're the same crowd that pushes political correctness.

Unfortunately they've even cowed the Republicans into fighting a war with one arm behind their back, rather than just flattening the f...ing place.

Oh, woe! The sky IS falling ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Apparently you haven't noticed that the polar caps are getting taller in the middle. The higher mean ocean temperature puts massive amounts of water vapor in the air, which condenses out in the form of snow, on top of the ice caps.

The glaciers are moving faster because there's more weight on top pushing them downslope.

But the enviro-idiots refuse to see any facts - they're happy with their dogma.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I did n't not ice that because I'm not looking where you are, I guess. The data I found says the ice caps are getting thinner, both north and south. Can you please provide a link to your data?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Please provide evidence that any warming we might be seeing is caused by man and not a natural occurrence. When presenting your evidence, please ensure that you do not take the foolish position that a temporal relationship is the same as a causal relationship.

Marc

Reply to
Marc Guardiani

The sky IS falling, no ifs, ands, or buts (or butts) about it...

You have to get with the world of Gore's Internet and BUZZ-WORD science... and the United States of Pansies ;-)

...Jim Thompson

There are more than sufficient indicators of increasing temperature. There are no indicators of decreasing temperature

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Hi Marc!

Nothing but the concreted areas all around the world, radiate (not absorbing as the Green does) other as it would be without, and that for about 0.2 deegres Celsius plus the normal temparature. [according to 'Carl Sagan']

Don't tell me this is a natural being. :)

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Reply to
Daniel Mandic

There is more than one point to the debate here. The global temperature is rising. The cause is anthropomorphic. There is anything that can be done about it. Anything should be done about it.

and so on........

I like the "proof" that keeps getting tossed about. We had so many hurricanes because of global warming. We had so few hurricanes because of global warming. We had such a mild winter because of global warming. We had such a harsh winter because of global warming.

The whole thing just rings of the Y2K thing all over again.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Don't waste your time on these arrogant a'holes.

The ironic part of this, for me, is that I have been a moderate Republican all of my voting life. Sadly, I now am witnessing the Republican Atillas (a distasteful subset among intelligent Republicans) moving so far to the right that they embarrass me. They, of course, are so horribly chagrined by the Iraq war that they are compelled to support rapidly escalating ridiculous and indefensible positions. Hey, I like that! The Atillas are in runaway! Same thing could happen to our only place to live (planet Earth) ... I don't like that.

The recent and increasing shrill and inane cries of the GOP extremists tell a lot. November is near!

"Liberal weenie" is what the reigning a'hole of this group called me, but he is not widely read ... in fact he is ignorant, by my standards. Check out the Scandinavian countries with their liberal policies and how they fare, compared to us. We have far more prisons, invest far less in research, have more suicides, have a lower standard of living (averaged), but HEY ...we are THE GOP!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

What a pile of horse pucky!

What was it, ten, fifteen years ago, the "scientists" were whining global cooling?

...Jim Thompson

Ah, yes. Yet more "Schulerisms" ;-)

What about "right wing" makes you think YOUR brand of science is superior to mine?

YOU are the one truly IGNORANT of science, you're BRAINWASHED.

...Jim Thompson