amazing photo

John

Yep, only the dictator has electricity.

...Jim Thompson

Hello John,

Is that little bright spec up there where they dunnit?

When arriving on Korean Airlines at night it was a striking experience. There was this distinct line where everything looked like bustling city life in the south and to the north of it there was absolutely nothing. No lights to speak of, no traffic, just nothing. Even the former iron curtain in Europe wasn't that stark.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Looks like everyone up North has gone to bed. What's wrong with that?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

None of them got supper.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

I wish!

The area north of NK is a very poor part of China, not very well electrified either. If I were a poor country, being occupied by the USA for a while wouldn't be the worst thing imaginable, a la "The Mouse That Roared." (another great flic.)

John

That's what you get for being naughty. Anyway, up early to grow stuff and no worries about Kyoto, plus everyone down South gets to play Nintendo.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

That was our class play my Junior year in High School. I was the sound man. :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What are the lights in the middle of the sea southwest of Seoul?

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Ban the bomb. Save the world for conventional warfare.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I don't know that, but have read that satellite photos often show bright lights in the Sea of Japan, due to the shrimp-fishing boats lighting the sea up like day.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Hello John,

Who knows, maybe some day they'll have a parade and someone accidentally hits the red button...

In my old home country (Germany) that has, in general, been quite helpful. No matter what some younger folks from there say most of the older people remember that time well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yes it can be the worst thing imaginable.

Here's what happened in Iraq.

They decided to base the effort to rebuild the power system with gas turbine power stations. (Hmm, doesn't GE build those?)

This has been a disaster as

  1. The Iraqis don't know how to deal with them
  2. The systems are picky about fuel
  3. They're made out of the country and thus make the generators (and the country) dependent on construction, installation expertise, spare parts, and service from half a planet away.

If they had gone with steam boiler power plants, the Iraqis could run (and probably design and build them) and run them off bunker oil, sour gas, agricultural waste, brown coal, (and probably use them to dispose of an occasional dead body).

But setting up a distributed reliable power system based on appropriate technology wouldn't benefit any patrons of the Republican Party.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Squid fishermen.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Well that depends on how you look at it, rice fields are a major contributor to methane in the atmosphere. Methane is about 20 times worse than CO2.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel