Global Warming finally proven...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim can't get anything right. Mantle plumes have been with us forever - there's one under the Hawaiian island chain - and one under Marie Byrd Land isn't going to make any difference to global warming - anthropogenic or otherwise.

It may make a difference to global sea level. Anything that might persuade an appreciable lump of the Antarctic ice sheet to slide off into the sea is likely to be good for a least a few metres of sea level rise.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Nope, that's global heat transfer from the (hot, molten nickel-iron) core to the surface. Been going on steadily for eons.

The particular surface covering (ice sheet in Antarctica) is just the last kilometer of the heat flow's journey of thousands of kilometers, to a good approximation you expect no change in heat flow due to such a plume, just a slight surface-of-the-planet unevenness in the heat flow rate.

Global average about a tenth watt per square meter, pretty minor compared to sunlight.

Reply to
whit3rd

That article quotes a Newsweek article, which quotes a NASA article, in which the following quote seems to make the opposite argument about the potential for a mantle plume causing ice to melt.

California, first heard the idea, however, "I thought it was crazy," she said. "I didn't see how we could have that amount of heat and still have ice on top of it."

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

adena,

ount Erebus is an active volcano with a lava lake - one of the five on the planet and there are three other inactive volcanoes close to it, Mount Terr or, Mount Bird, and Mount Terra Nova.

Mount Erebus is snow-covered.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to