Global Warming and thermometers

From the International Journal of Climatology.

New paper finds that aging weather stations record much higher daytime temperatures, 1.63°C higher than new stations, which by way of comparison is more than twice the global warming of 0.7°C recorded since the end of the Little Ice Age in 1850.

If you have access to the International Journal of Climatology or Wiley, look here.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

That sounds tangled with the older problem about replacing the pain on Stevenson Boxes, moving from the original lime-based whitewash to modern latex points.

So, we got about 1.5 deg C increase in peak daytime temperature measurements by going to latex paint. Then we got another 1.6 C increase as the latex paint ages. And more from siting/heat island effects.

I thought we could at least trust satellite measurements, but they turn out to be heavily "adjusted."

There may be no global warming at all. Snow melts are probably caused by particulates.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

And then we have :

mate >wars. The Arctic ice cap grew by 920,000 square miles since last year . That's a >60% increase in just one year. So, with this development, can we say that Earth >is undergoing a period of global cooling? It's ironic. "

Having a look around the page it seems to have a rupubican slant, but it's pretty hard to lie about almost a million square miles. Of ocurse they didn 't mention the thickness of the ice.......

Reply to
jurb6006

It's easy to lie about anything and there will always be some who believe it. The people behind that quote are the MRC - just another right wing organisation trying to appear objective "MRC?s sole mission is to expose and neutralize the propaganda arm of the Left: the national news media. This makes the MRC?s work unique within the conservative movement." says their website

These guys make me laugh, they have no idea what left wing or liberal mean - still as long as they stay in Virginia!

--
M0WYM
Sales @ radiowymsey

It's sad that the climatology is so permeated by politics, on both sides. The leftist press won't publish anything that casts doubt on AGW, and posts nonsense about all the evils of CO2, blaming it for any bad weather or frog disease or civil war that happens. So the only place you can find references to contrary research is right-wing rags.

A couple of decades from now, the AGW research will be cited as another shameful event in the history of science, like eugenics and cold fusion and polywater and phrenology and 90% of the nutrition studies these days.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Unfortunately that stuff damages the credibility of science in general, which is a great pity.

Making fun of nutritionists is like shooting fish in a barrel, though--just mention margarine and baby formula.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

But our world is run by nutcases... at a close-by supermarket it's hard to find real butter buried amongst the "tastes-like" substitutes.

And then they only provide "salted" butter, ignoring their own whine about low-sodium being good :-( ...Jim Thompson

My primary doctor, an otherwise wonderful Chinese lady, has unfortunately latched onto the "sugar is poison" bandwagon. She tells me not to eat fruit, because it has sugar in it. If she saw the way I drink coffee, *she'd* have a heart attack.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hope you're wrong mixing cold fusion in there. But then there was name change, Low Energy Nuclear Reaction.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Bad calorimetry, most likely. Chemists are awful with stuff like this.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

he climate >wars. The Arctic ice cap grew by 920,000 square miles since las t year. That's a >60% increase in just one year. So, with this development , can we say that Earth >is undergoing a period of global cooling? It's iro nic."

it's pretty hard to lie about almost a million square miles. Of ocurse the y didn't mention the thickness of the ice.......

don't think I've seen noticed any "taste-like butter" here, margarine sure but not that claim to be anything like butter

as far as I'm concerned real butter is pretty required if you want really good food, though I'm not a big fan of American butter

but we do have several types of a mix of about 75% butter and 25% vegetable oil taste pretty much the same but it is easy spreadable on a piece of bread st raight from the fridge

didn't they recently realize that for most people low sodium is pretty much just as bad as high sodium

we even have a version with coarse sea salt, it's yummy :)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The US used to have laws that restricted margarine products to not be colored like butter. Then coloring was allowed in the package, but not mixed in... the house wife had to mix it up.

Now the sky is the limit, all kinds of BS claims, tastes like (or better) than butter, healthier, etc.

My wife cooks with real butter, olive oil, and uses sea salt whenever desirable. We have no margarine in the house. ...Jim Thompson

climate >wars. The Arctic ice cap grew by 920,000 square miles since last y ear. That's a >60% increase in just one year. So, with this development, c an we say that Earth >is undergoing a period of global cooling? It's ironic . "

's pretty hard to lie about almost a million square miles. Of ocurse they d idn't mention the thickness of the ice.......

John Larkin's aspirations to prophecy aren't exactly convincing.

And it isn't "sad" that climatology is permeated by politics, but inevitabl e, granting that the scientific facts strongly suggest that we should slow down our digging up and burning of fossil carbon for fuel, while the people who are making a lot of money out of this activity want to keep on doing i t.

There are well-established techniques for using money to diffuse the politi cal impact of scientific facts, and it's no surprise that some of the peopl e who told you that smoking didn't really damage your health are now tellin g us that CO2 isn't really warming up the planet.

Eugenics has now become genetic counselling, cold fusion and polywater were rapidly recognised as mistakes, and phrenology - like 90% of the "nutritio n science" on offer - was a pseudo-scientific fad that grew out of real sci entific advance. We all know about Broca's area in the brain and Wernicke's area, as we know about vitamins and essential trace elements (like iodine) .

In reality it's denialism that's going to be seen in the future as a shamef ul event in the history of capitalism, like the persistent unwillingness of the tobacco industry to recognise the damage their product was doing to th e people who bought it.

Since quite a few people - those less gullible than John Larkin - already p erceive this, this shouldn't be regarded as a prophecy.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Interesting, but unimportant. Ground-based weather stations are a useful worldwide network regardless of calibration (i.e. predictable, systematic, repeatable) issues. Global climate modeling is of the WHOLE ATMOSPHERE, most of which is a mile away, vertically, from those ground-based weather boxes. No one has been blindly following the ground-station numbers. No one has been getting anything wrong because of near-ground temperature measurement difficulties.

There's been cross-checking of near-ground temperatures against other thermometers for centuries. Maybe longer.

Thanks for the reference, I'll try to look it up (and any serious replies). In future, though, try to include date and author; is the article under discussion "Sensors and the City: ..."? That's a REVIEW article, is just a compilatio n of well-known info from many old sources. Nothing new there.

Reply to
whit3rd

To biggies: ALR and the king of them all DDT.

Reply to
krw

Thanks. It's not really a new story. From July 2012: more:

Poorly located weather stations have become somewhat of a hobby for me. I maintain a few weather stations on various mountain tops. To maintain some semblance of sanity, the CWOP maintains a sanity check of various weather stations by comparing their temperature readings with those of other nearby weather stations on the assumption that the temperatures are close or at least track each other. That's been far from the case.

For example, this is one I help maintain: which looks like I need to recalibrate the barometer for altitude again. (Every time the internal battery dies due to a power outage, the calibration needs to be reset). Argh.

However, note that the temperature is also considered out of range by about 5F. This is NOT a calibration error. What's happening is that the 4 other nearby wx stations have located their sensors in some rather odd locations. Majority rules in weather statistics, so I'm expected to hide my temperature sensor under a tree canopy, where it can be cooled by transpiration in order to "fix" the problem.

Sitting weather stations seems to be more of an art than a science. There are plenty of examples on the web showing rather bad installations. (Note that the above article claims that bad placement produces LOWER readings). A local example is the KSBW weather station, which is conveniently locate above an HVAC unit:

The alleged 1.63C increase from aging weather stations (probably due to changes in emissivity of the paint inside the radiation shield due to surface oxidation) isn't going make much difference when I can produce much larger errors by simply mislocating the wx station.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

It's fun to look at some area that has a lot of online stations; at any instant, temps can be all over the place, 10C variations or more in a few miles.

I have a really good RTD at our place in Truckee, and it's radically different from the "official" station at the airport. The airport temps are much more extreme than any of the other stations in the area.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

he climate >wars. The Arctic ice cap grew by 920,000 square miles since las t year. That's a >60% increase in just one year. So, with this development , can we say that Earth >is undergoing a period of global cooling? It's iro nic."

it's pretty hard to lie about almost a million square miles. Of ocurse the y didn't mention the thickness of the ice.......

It wasn't bad calorimetry as such, but something odd happening when you ele ctrolysed heavy water with high surface area palladium electrodes.

You could store a lot of energy in the palladium until some threshold was e xceeded, when it all came out rapidly, messing up the calorimetry. People s eem to have replicated that effect - if not in a controlled way - and it's pretty clear that nuclear fusion wasn't what was going on. My guess would b e some sort of switch between palladium crystal structures (as you see when you get tin cold enough, not that there's much energy involved there).

Of course, if it were that simple, someone would have long since documented the effect and published.

Some chemists are bad at any experimental technique you care to specify, ju st as some physicists produce rotten electronics. It's as silly to write of f the whole profession as it would be to assume that all physicists are as good with electronics as Phil Hobbs.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

CWOP weather station siteing instructions and hints:

About 8 years ago, I had what I thought was a good idea. I would have the local ham radio club design and prototype a no moving parts weather station, built from hardware store parts (mostly PVC pipe). The club would prepare kits to be built initially in the local skools. Communications back to a central data collector would be via internet and/or packet radio. The plan was to produce a false color map of the local area, showing different temperature bands and rainfall statistics hopefully detailing microclimates and moving weather fronts.

As part of the initial research, I blackmailed a local programmer into producing a software prototype showing what could be achieved. He used data from The Weather Underground and soon found that there was a big problem with the data. Even if the weather stations were fairly close, there were HUGE variations in temperature, rainfall, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, and solar brightness. In short, garbage in, garbage out.

If I fed the program "adjusted" data, things looked quite reasonable. However, I could never get any consistency across the various amateur weather stations.

In theory, the professional weather stations have better siteing and more calibrated hardware. However, having visited some of these, I'm finding that deferred maintenance is all too common, and many are somewhat deficient. I'm not referring to a 2 degree discrepancy in average temperature, but a total failure of the sensors. We have a local weather stations near my office, with a very stuck anemometer that hasn't moved in perhaps 10 years. Such stations were probably quite accurate on installation, but at time blundered onward, less so.

Drivel: There's a local wx station located in the middle of a golf course green, which produces amazing humidity statistics every time the sprinklers are turned on to water the grass.

Airports are probably the worst case siteing problem. Reflections from the runways are a constant problem. If there's any jet blast or nearby run up area, it will find the anemometer. Extra credit for mounting the wind direction indicator on a fat pole, producing eddies that looking like periodic 180 degree wind direction shifts. Trust your own numbers instead of the airport.

Advice from a friend and global warming proponent: "Choose your data wisely".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Gosh, really? I'm shocked, just shocked... ;-)

And exactly _where_ was the ice in 2012? - at a VERY low level. So low that a "60% increase" is not really all that impressive. It's all in how you cherry-pick which "truth" you tell about the amount of ice, de-ah. If you can find one that extends to this year and shows both poles, I'd be happier with it, but this is what I could find that shows the Northern ice over a longer term, including the 2012 minimum.

Ecnerwal