OT: Gasoline Cost in Europe

And it isn't as if anyone understands it.

John

It's not "consciousness", it's "sentience". My immune system knows what to "fight off" the same way an ameba knows what to eat. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

What we know about the operation of the squishy systems amounts to a tear drop in a tub of water. You will know when the knowledge base has become significant when The Washington Post headline reads:"Cure For Cancer, AIDS, and all Known Disease Found!"

Until then, it is just guess work with an occasional fortuitous result.

-Chuck

(The encouraging thing is 30 years ago, it was a tear drop in the Ocean.)

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Will that include a cure for the desire to be a lawyer or politician?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why do you ask? You fancy her a biologist?

Reply to
flipper

That is a clever distortion.

No one knows 'everything' about anything but I don't need to know 'everything' about an airplane to distinguish it from an apple.

Reply to
flipper

I have no idea how to define "consciousness", but if my brain cells can join up and do it, why couldn't my immune system? Why not a strand of DNA itself? It's certainly complex enough, and certainly qualifies as a quantum computer.

John

Nope. I hate weed... makes me paranoid, and smoke, any smoke, causes lung disease.

John

I have noticed that Ayn Rand fans fancy themselves as experts in all fields.

Reply to
Richard Henry

The topic was ethics and morality, which requires consciousness.

Sentience is another matter subject to arbitrary definition and disjointed emotional extrapolation, such as your argument for a 'sentient' ameba because it, supposedly, 'knows what to eat'.

The problem stems from the 'minimalist' claim that simply responding to a stimulus is 'proof' of sentience (or simply defining it as such) while also claiming that sentience is the core of consciousness along with all manner of extrapolations, such as it must, therefore, 'feel' (the root of sentience), be self aware, etc.

However, my computer 'knows' a lot more stimuli-response codings than an ameba does but few, beyond joking, would consider it 'sentient'. Rather, it's an automata. And a smart bomb 'knows what to eat' (blow up) too. Is it 'sentient'? Plants respond to sunlight (grow in that direction. some open leaves in sunlight, close them at night. Some respond to touch, etc.). Are they 'sentient'? And, if so, what do you mean by 'sentient'?

The minimalist claim that simply a response to stimuli defines 'sentience' is a reductio ad absurdum .

You, yourself, demonstrated the afore mentioned "disjointed emotional extrapolation" by claiming since it responds to a stimulus (the minimalist definition) that it "knows," an attribute generally associated with not only intelligence but consciousness yet you also claimed "it's not "consciousness."

I avoid using 'sentience' in a discussion of consciousness for that reason: one person may mean simply 'response to stimuli' (in which case my car is 'sentient' as it responds quite well to gas pedal stimuli) while the next then concludes 'consciousness' (the colloquial understanding of it). And then there are those who erroneously claim both, that a stimulus response 'is consciousness'. The words become meaningless.

Reply to
flipper

I'll make it even easier: "able to sense." Having senses. Obviously, an ameba has some mechanism for sensing what is food and what's a threat. It does this by sensing them.

And Sentience and Consciousness are about as similar to each other as magnetism and electricity. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

You must be down right clairvoyant because I haven't noticed a discussion of "all fields" by which such a determination could be made about anyone.

Maybe I just missed it.

Reply to
flipper

killed

Perhaps what you call "Ethics and morality" is a more complicated chemical process, as is "consciousness".

Automaton.

Reply to
Richard Henry

One can only hope!

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Yup. I happen to know the cure for all of them, but nobody seems to want it, probably because it requires being absolutely honest with yourself, and admitting that you don't already know everything there is to know.

Thanks, Rich For more information, visit:

Rich the Philosophizer

Sentience, by definition, is: 1) sentient being, or state; consciousness, 2) Inchoate consciousness; sensation, as distinguished from perception and thought.

and Inchoate (inkoat) means recently, or just begun; being in the first stages; rudimentary.

So, sentience is the first rumblings of consciousness.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

We are ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I saw a special-edition "Microsoft" H3 at a trade show, loaded up with Embedded Windows ve-tronics. It's even rounder and fuzzier than the H2, a pretend military vehicle for wannabee Marines. There were three Microsoft people trying to get the on-board systems up; don't know if they ever did.

John

Well, as crude as your analogy is, you must admit that a flush
toilet is smarter than an outhouse, so it\'s a little farther along
the road to consciousness than is the outhouse, no?

So it is with our immune system.  While, in your eyes, it may not
have achieved what you\'d like to consider "consciousness" because it
works without actively pinging you, letting you know it\'s there, and
asking permission to wipe out intruders, it\'s a hell of a lot
smarter than most of the critters it meets up with and dispatches.
And, for that matter _all_ of us, so far.
Reply to
John Fields

Its probably the prototype of another failed attempt to sell the military on overly computerized vehicles that failed. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida