OT: Gasoline Cost in Europe

In article , John Larkin wrote: [...]

This is a classic "inverse Robin Hood" situation. They guy driving his old clunker in every night to clean the buildings helps to pay for the CEO's ferry ride across the bay.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

It's not an attitude.

John

More significantly, to carpool effectively you need a bunch of people who live and work pretty much along a straight-line path. US suburban living, with widely scattered housing and jobs, generally doesn't follow this pattern. And soccer moms aren't likely to carpool to the grocery and to school and ball games. Suburbia was built on cheap oil, and will take a hit if it stops being cheap.

Will may be free, but it ain't cheap.

John

Excellent question. Rather high. In the order of

700persons/km^2. A bit higer along the public transport lines. Perhaps as high as 5000 p/km^2. It doesn't compete with Arizona in this respect.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

We need OoPCoP, Organization of Petroleum Consuming People.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I heard something yesterday on the news that threw me for a loop...

Fellow being interviewed said slightly more than half of our oil consumption is for plastics and other oil-derived materials.

...Jim Thompson

             Make Cinco de Mayo a Day Without a Gringo

Our most dense area, Phoenix metro area, population ~4 million, has a population density of 223 p/mile^2 or ~ 86 p/km^2

Which is why mass transit is a monumentally stupid idea in Arizona.

...Jim Thompson

             Make Cinco de Mayo a Day Without a Gringo

But that won't stop your congresspersons from demanding their "fair share" of mass-transit funding.

John

Including all that throw away crap imported from China. :(

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That'll be the day.

...Jim Thompson

             Make Cinco de Mayo a Day Without a Gringo

OK, belief, judgement, whatever you want to call it - it's symptomatic of severe brain-lock.

Notwithstanding, it's just plain not true. In fact, in most cases, might is very very wrong.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

--
Really?

What do you think your immune system works on, politeness?
Reply to
John Fields

Something very much like that: self-acceptance. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

Am I correct in saying that the octane rating of low grade Euepean gas is higher than the high grade North American gas?

Our octane is 87 for low grade and 92 for high grade.

Reply to
Spokesman

One contributor to the fact that the UK is not now a German-speaking country is that Spitfires ran on a higher octane fuel (made specially for them in a refinery in Texas) than what the ME-109's could get.

John

Over here its either 95 of 98. Some companies offer fuels which are supposed to perform even better due to addition of synthetic (GTL) fuel.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Europe uses Research Octane Number. USA uses average of RON and Motor Octane Number. The ratings are obtained by different tests. For the same fule sample, the RON will be higher than MON, so the (RON + MON)/2 will be lower.

Pumps around here (southern California) offer 87, 89, and 91. I have been searching around on gas-price websites and prices range from about $3.25 to $3.40 a gallon for 87 octane. The best prices are "cash price", meaning the dealer gives a discount for not using a credit card.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yikes! It says here:

that you can get 282 gallons of oil from an acre of avocados. I presume that means "per year", albeit it might be "per season" - I haven't checked. The "oil palm" is a lot better: 635 gallons per acre (again, I don't know per what time interval).

Oddly, they don't mention hempseed. ;-) I hear it's really rich in oil, but the idiot bureaucrats are wiser than God, of course. >:-{

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Cambridge UK - 5th May - about 97 pence per litre for unleaded, GBP

1.00 per litre for diesel.
--
Jim Backus OS/2 user since 1994
bona fide replies to j  backus  jita

I paid GBP 18 for 18 litres today, with the proverbial 2 pence change :-)