OT: Gasoline Cost in Europe

Those of us driving 4153 pounds of curb weight, 113" wheelbase, 72.6" width, but only 58.7" high tend to have no rollover experiences ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Autumn and Winter 1973 i was in Puget sound and it was the first "gas crisis" almost $1 / gallon. Prices had been under $0.50 / gallon.

Windfall profits tax anyone?

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

Ft.

Gas wars. I saw as low as 17 cents a gallon and 10 x stamps. Mid sixties.

--
JosephKK
--Schiller

I bet that smarted ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Some... ;)
Reply to
John Fields

A fatty? My buddy would.

That 1 meg .gif file photo reminds me of a time my buddy back in 1971 had to prove to all of us that he could climb a coconut tree and drop one down. He gets to the top . . and I mean way up there, way higher than a street light and a snake sticks its head out and he went sliding down that entire trunk, it was quite impressive!

Ever notice its always your buddy and not you. lol

Oh, didn't get the coconut.

  • * * Christopher

Temecula CA.USA

Christopher

Well, the H2s certainly are.

Reply to
Richard Henry

True, but not everyone with SUV's fall into this category.

For example, my 5 year old SUV is paid for and has been paid for for a long time. And last year I think it used about $1000 in gas for the WHOLE YEAR. I'm doing even better this year, I've kept track of it, and so far I've spent $207.40 on gas for the SUV for all of 2006.

Reply to
Carl Smith

It's not the reponsibility of other drivers to buy vehicles that match the mass and bumper height of your vehicle.

I beg to differ. I have found a lot of benefit to my SUV. The main benefit being the height underneath and the four wheel drive allow me to get around in the snow in North Dakota winters, and the muddy back roads in the spring, when cars just sit in the driveway. I've driven through muddy roads that I myself would have never believed or attempted to drive on had I known what I was getting in for.

Reply to
Carl Smith

[snip]

I believe there's already a rule in place that will soon require standardized bumper heights.

...Jim Thompson

Nonsensical rubbish.

The immune system is nothing but a bio-chemical stimulus-response reaction and in no way related to anything even remotely resembling 'consciousness' any more than a toilet refilling the tank after a flush is.

Your toilet, should it fail, will not have any 'regrets' for pouring water all over the floor nor was there so much as a single immune cell that had even the slightest 'pang of conscience' for letting over half the population of Europe be wiped out by bubonic plague and the only way "good" or "bad" comes into play is when human consciousness ascribes those values because neither the toilet nor the immune system have the means to give a tinker's dam about anything.

Reply to
flipper

In which part of your body does your conscience exist?

How about your consciousness?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Alas, but how many hard core serial killers feel remorse for what is considered a very vile act? (Some might, but that's why I qualify it with "hard core".) The "defective" argument works for both levels.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

How in the world can you profess to know that? You could say exactly the same about the human brain, with as much justification, ie, none.

John

72 Jeep Commando (one of the original SUVs) going too fast in a turn. It just tucked a wheel under and went over, one and a half times, stopping on the roof. I was buckled in tight and it wasn't really that unplesant a ride other than screwing up my new Jeep. They rolled it back on the wheels and I drove it home. The only real damage was a wrinkled hard top that had to be replaced and some dings on the sheet metal that it wore the rest of the 5 years I had it. I have certainly been shaken up worse on a roller coaster. Folks who get hurt in rollovers are not wearing their seatbelt about 99% of the time.
Reply to
gfretwell

What's the point of the questions and why are you not asking your immune system?

Reply to
flipper

That a 'hard core' serial killer may, or may not, feel remorse is in no way 'evidence' that a toilet can.

It is possible for morals to vary among those capable of it and one could even make the argument that a capable being who doesn't seem to exhibit them is 'defective'.

But your attempt at equivalency with a toilet is nonsensical as it is not capable under any circumstances

But then, you meant that as a joke anyway.

Reply to
flipper

Quite easily.

It isn't as if no one's studied the immune system.

Well, yes, you could 'say' that, even as absurd as it is, since there's nothing to prevent the speaking of nonsense.

Reply to
flipper

they

More like Michael Milken :-)

The oil futures are contracts where one assumes the obligation to buy a certain volume of oil at a certain price in the future. For that priviledge one pays a premium which is fraction of the size of the the total order price - because a tiny sliver of premium controls a huge glob of real oil, futures are very volatile and therfore attracts speculators like moths to the flame.

Of course the price of a future depends on the expectations of the buyers and sellers of the underlying oil: If the seller of oil think that the oil will become more expensive in three months time, he will rather prefer to wait three months and then sell the oil in the market at a better price than now so he will also want to sell the future more expensively.

Expectations can be managed; If I was the happy holder of a lot of USD

70, September Oil futures and I also happened to be inside the OPEC it might make me more happy if OPEC should announce that it cannot increase production capacity. Hell, maybe a donation to some islamic charity will ensure that outcome.

If instead I was some sheikh lower in the family pecking order, the wise move would be to get rid of a potential rival and my dodgy car by loading it with ANFO and sending my stupid cousin to blow himself up near an oil facility.

Catching....

The other side of the bet will be the refineries - who pretty much know what production will be and hence the amount of oil needed. They may burn the sheikhs and jihaddis by knowing that they will shut down for two weeks of maintenance f.ex.

So, futures it is a game between insiders with the power to influence the future.

Futures are traded on the mercantile exchange in Chicago, or LIFFE in London f.ex..

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Have you read much written by Ayn Rand?

Reply to