Even PCBs are written in "Engrish" now

I found this to be absolutely hilarious:

I can understand the obvious misspelling, but what is "wafer" supposed to mean?

Reply to
Tom

Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

DANDER HIGH VOLTAGE Ha! Like cat dander.

Yup..Wafer doesn't make any sense to me. It's not even Wafer1.. What's the standard/com silkscreen for connectors? CONN1 ?

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I think it may be a too literal translation of the shape of the connector. Atleast they did polarise the footprint, seen so many people not bother with that.

Or CON1. I personally use CN1.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If there's any standard it's J1 ('jack'), and if you're calling out connections in wiring harnesses the mating wire is P1 (plug, with matching number).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Direct l>Ugghh..annoying pop ups on that link..

Sounds like you still use The World's Worst Browser. A modern browser will have an integral Pop-up Blocker. Gecko-based browsers have a NoScript extension available.

Reply to
JeffM

Ice cream context in the machine translator? Con1 -> Cone -> Wafer

-- General electronic repairs, most things repaired, other than TVs and PCs

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Reply to
N_Cook

You cannot see the thermistor attached to that connector and plugged into that socket marked "wafer"?

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

In an ideal world, sure. In the real world, there are jack/plug moniker mismatches all the time.

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

My favourite is one I found in an old guitar pedal. There was a drawing of the 9 volt battery and its connector, and the helpful text "connect battery to battersnap"

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Sometimes you are a bit dopey.

If there is no "wafer 2" there does not need to be a "wafer 1", so "wafer" is perfectly fine.

Just as, if there is not more then one transformer on an assembly, there does not need to be any numerical designation made in referencing the part. It can be referred to as merely "transformer", and will be perfectly correct.

Normally, the connector/plug pair would be so designated, ie "J1" and "P1" or other abbreviated terms such as that which you used, if the connector were part of a remote attachment, as in the case of interconnecting cables.

Since the connector/plug pair are being utilized as a "plug" for a pre-fabricated "part", that being the "wafer", then the "wafer" designator is all that is needed as long as all intended to ever build or service it know what the moniker refers to.

Proprietary systems use this so that dopey repair dudes can deal with their information overload easier... tee hee hee...

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

For the most happiness times in Engrish, pleasing to be moved most forward into

The microcassette robot is always be with you!

--
  Roger Blake
  (Subtract 10s for email. "Google Groups" messages killfiled due to spam.)

Isn't it the way fer power to come in? or else the way fer it to go out? Probably they just omitted the apostrophe from the contracted form wa'fer.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose."  -- Jim Elliot
Reply to
Andrew Erickson

J for jack would be a guitar jack connector in Britain.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Eh ?

It's a mains input connector. See the blue neutral wire and the required double insulation (the black jacket).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You guys are dopes. One can clearly see the thermistor in place in that connector header. Can't see it? Then, you shouldn't even be in the thread.

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

That's the wafer you to connect wires to the PCB. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

I apologize for the poor photo, here is a higher resolution photo of the same PCB from a different angle (without the annoying popups):

Even though there is a thermistor to the left of the connector, it is labelled TH1 so I still don't understand what "wafer" is supposed to mean. This is the main 120VAC power connector. The best explanation that I've heard so far is that it's the "way fer" power to come in. :)

Reply to
Tom

Is that on a monitor? Is that a degaussing coil?

"Way fer" magnetic distortion to go out...

Reply to
ItsASecretDummy

NO. It's simply Asian English. This may help. I believe wafer simply means 'polarising bar'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes, it looks like you're right!

I must admit I've never heard of a wafer connector before, and based on the number of replies here it looks like I'm not the only one :)

I'm going to have to include one of these in all my designs from now on, along with some high voltage dander.

Reply to
Tom