OT: CPU heatsink "heat pipes"

This is an interesting graph:

especially the dark blue part.

Some people would love to believe that the world is going to hell, but that's just not what's happening.

Freedom, material prosperity, womens' rights, health and lifespans are steadily improving, despite what you may read in the papers. Only Africa seems to be regressing. Given the ravages of European colonialism, Europe should be doing more there.

Of course some people dislike the USA. Some are jealous of our sheer power; some dislike "American culture" which is, in fact, world culture; some cannot bear to remember that the USA saved their butts two or three times, so they invent evil motives to free them from any lingering concepts of gratitude or debt.

Any superpower is going to abuse its power some now and then. Would you rather the Russians or the Chinese or, heaven forbid, the French as the sole superpower?

John

:-) Only because they were afraid you might launch a few down the sewer pipe at them I would assume. After all, you guys had already used them once remember? Without hesitation even. I assume the Soviets may have been ever so slightly apprehensive concerning what you might do if you had shitload of 'em stashed away somewhere and they didn't. Jeeze fella, not *everyone* on the planet thinks you're the

*good guys* you know or haven't you come to that realization yet? What a bunch of self-serving hypocrites you people are.
--
"ACK",
  Bill D.

" Now just look..... they\'re burning the `Porta-Potties\' "
  ........ OPUS
Reply to
Bill D.

=20

n.

=20

=20

?

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

Maybe you don't know what "culling" means. It means to pick 'some' from a= =20 larger group and that's precisely what you do, very selectively.

It is only one piece of a much larger story.

It's absolutely necessary to understand what people knew, or thought they= =20 knew, what they didn't know, what they couldn't have known, what choices =

they had, and why they made the decisions they did.

It's only "not needed" when one is irritated with facts getting in the wa= y=20 of prejudice.

And what do you suggest one do in a war? Use harsh language?

r=20

=20

It isn't a matter of what one 'would expect'. It's the fact they tried,=20 more than once, and that American airmen risked life and limb, not to=20 mention the aircraft, to drop what you apparently consider a 'useless'=20 exercise, but that only makes it all the more dramatic they did so.

=20

I never said any such thing but, since you put it in those terms, it's=20 certainly less than 800,000 deaths of just your own fellow countrymen and= a=20 whole lot less than the 5 million Japanese it was estimated would die in = a=20 conventional invasion, which was the apparent choice facing the Allies.

l=20

Correct. The only thing anyone knew at the time is that it was a big bomb= =20 that made an incredibly big boom with the distinct advantage that one=20 needn't risk thousand bomber raids, and their crews, to deliver it.

It's quite clear from your selective culling that you are the one afflict= ed.

I didn't say it was "just one hell of a big boom." I said that's all they= =20 knew about it at the time.

And just how would anyone have seen pictures of what hadn't transpired ye= t?

No, it's your misrepresentation of what I said that's sick.

And you want to ascribe motives to people based on things they could not =

possibly have known while, at the same time, *you* completely ignore the =

context, what they did know, and just about everything else.

Reply to
David Maynard

And I can easily find people who'll say Elvis is still alive with a much more clear and direct question that whatever thing a handful of selected people might have thought was 'better' or worse, not to mention why.

Mussolini made the trains run on time and Hitler built the autobahn but it's hardly a reason to keep either nor is "Hitler and better roads vs no Hitler" the only choice even though to the simple minded it might seem so in the immediate aftermath.

Reply to
David Maynard

Simply not true actually. Although reliable casualty figures have never been forthcoming.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Don't kid yourself it was a piece of cake at night.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I dare say the Packard versions were made in Texas.

The Merlin was designed by Rolls Royce in Derby, England though. It first flew in the mid 30s.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Here's some more facts:

  1. The Trinity gadget was plutonium.
  2. The Hiroshima bomb was uanium.
Reply to
Richard Henry

Gaddafi certainly did !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

What troubles me is the large contingent of Canadians who are so down on the US.

Wonder why that is? Canadian economy going to hell and they need someone to blame?

...Jim Thompson

Proof please ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Jesus H. Christ. Finally a response from someone who misses the past, when it *was* about people and not about 'self'ish interests. A man with a f***in' heart and no, I never thought all of you guys did think and act the same. Surprise surprise, some of my best friends are American. They also have a tendency to talk like you. The reason they do that is because they still have brains and they know how to use them. Thanks for the correction you provided. It's humbly accepted. However, in this go-round, you are the very first American to speak in the manner you have. The rest? They all seem to be suffering from some huge 'brain fart' blockage and feel as though they *must* tow the line.

--
"ACK",
  Bill D.

" Now just look..... they\'re burning the `Porta-Potties\' "
  ........ OPUS
Reply to
Bill D.

_Slaughterhouse

the

Ahhh !

The Germans couldn't produce very high octane fuel apparently. Most of their gasoline was synthetic in fact.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The British captured the machine. The Poles broke the code.

--
"ACK",
  Bill D.

" Now just look..... they\'re burning the `Porta-Potties\' "
  ........ OPUS
Reply to
Bill D.

They got hold of the plans and documentation as well as the cypher manual and unlike the Britsh and Americans, they were not only able to crack the code but also built a reasonable facsimile of the device which allowed them to decode German transmissions within 24 hours of receiving them. The British captured the firs actual Enigma from German U-boat.

--
"ACK",
  Bill D.

" Now just look..... they\'re burning the `Porta-Potties\' "
  ........ OPUS
Reply to
Bill D.

It would be folly for me to imagine it's possible to have anything resembling a rational discussion with someone so grossly uninformed as to make such a ridiculous assertion about the state of affairs under Saddam Hussein's regime, so I shall not attempt it.

Reply to
David Maynard

Do your own research on what the terms are.

Reply to
David Maynard

And just exactly what do you think Enigma has to do with Iraq?

Reply to
David Maynard

_Slaughterhouse

the

Yeah. Plus Hitler being not just a little bit crazy ;)

U.S. production capability being relatively protected and stunningly prolific had a lot to do with it as well.

Hahahaha. Cute

Reply to
David Maynard

=20

uh?

=20

=20

=20

a=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20

=2E

=20

=20

=20

=2E

=20

=2E

I do.

They're anything but 'stock', but you're as predicable as ice melting abo= ve=20

32 degrees F.

=20

=20

It's nice that you inserted "within reason" but the rest is an unsupporte= d=20 conclusion.

945.

And the test confirms it's a big bomb that makes an incredibly big boom=20 but, according to the analysis, shelters could survive within 500 feet of= it.

Reply to
David Maynard