Dustless clothes ?

Hello,

My appartment is almost always full with dust, dust, dust and dust. And not just sandy banks of dust but large dust clouds as well :)

I am really starting to wonder where all this dust is coming from.

My first guess is:

  1. My own body, lot's of hairs and little hairs and stuff like that (cells dieing off).

  1. My clothes and maybe bed sheets.

Since producing electronics/chips requires to keep the dust out I wonder if maybe you guys (?) know something about all this ?

What's the percentage of the above ?

What kind of clothes produce less dust ?

What kind of fabrics ?

Bye, Skybuck (Who would like to reduce the dust in his house LOL :) )

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Some people have vacuum cleaners, and use them to keep their house clean. bw..OJ

Reply to
old jon

Men don't do dusting or housework - I know because I am one. We like gadgets and toys. We like to be clean, but generally can't quite be bothered enough to get up and do something about it. Its a terrible admission, but true!! I recently bought myself a new 'boys toy' - an iRobot Roomba. Its an automatic (robotic) hoover. You turn it on when you go out and come back to a hoovered house (the going out part is optional, but an ideal excuse to go to the pub). I found that this toy reduces the amount of dust generally about the house. We used to have to dust skirting boards and other things, but when the dust level is lower on the carpet, it seems to be generally lower everywhere else too.

OR...

You could take up nudism and loose the clothes. Wrap yourself in cling-film, then no skin particles can escape - just don't fart!

Reply to
GT

How about the pharmaceutical industry. It requires the use of special garb to eliminate/reduce particulates and germs. More importanly, the environment is specially treated to reduce sheding of particulates. Environmental surfaces are chosen/treated to be impervious (hard, dust-free, non-shedding).

We worked to 'Class 100' air standards, which translates to 100 particles (or less) per cubic foot, of a size of 0.5 micrometer (millionth of a meter) or less.

See following. Failing that, synthetic fibers would tend to dust less.

Most clean-room garb is made of Tyvek which is dust-free (for all practical purposes). You might get a little warm wearing it as it is a moisture barrier (house wrap) and your sweat will not evaporate. Dacron was also used. It also makes one warm.

HankG

Reply to
HankG

[snip]

Clean.

Clean.

What kind of heating system?

A space heater generally has no filtration system, it just stirs up the dust. Solution: Dust furniture and vacuum often. And/or get an electrostatic air cleaner... they are available as stand-alone units.

Central air has replaceable or cleanable filters. Change/clean them monthly.

Or hire a cleaning service ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Well, you hit two sources but 'dust' comes from hundreds, thousands, nay millions of sources, depending on how one catalogues it. Take plant pollen as just one example. That gives you a few million sources right there. Decaying biomatter. Walk over some dead leaves and, poof, you man-made some more 'dust' or, rather, just speeded up the process a bit. And mother nature ensures that any and everything even remotely resembling 'dust' will get nicely and effectively distributed to every conceivable nook and cranny of the planet by wind even if it didn't adhere to and get transported by every moving object.

Unless you live in a filtered clean-room there's going to be 'dust'.

Reply to
David Maynard

Technically speaking, 'dirty' clothes don't 'product' dust but have collected some amount of what was previously produced by other sources. Or, at least, the 'dirty' part doesn't.

On the other hand, clean clothes (and by extension 'dirty' ones too) *do* produce 'dust' by gradual disintegration of the fabric through wear; flaking, thread breakage, etc.

You have a practical point, though ;)

Reply to
David Maynard

<snip>

yep that's it... you are making your own dust... some day you will be ALL dust

yep... we have two vacuum cleaners in out house... don't know where they are though... but they are under the dust someplace

Reply to
philo

Two tips: dust and vacuum twice a week, and keep the windows and doors shut if temps allow it. If I didn't live with a woman who is cleaning nut, I wouldn't have a clue about how clean (or dirty) a house can quickly get. I'ts not your clothes, unless you work in a dusty environment and track it in.

Reply to
Simian Dyson

High-end wafer fabs use a gore-tex/nylon combination to provide a dust barrier and allow perspiration to escape. This keeps the dust from both your body and your clothes away from the wafers. There's generally a helmet that keeps the particulate-laden breath away while keeping the head covered.

You would need for all of your fabrics to be replaced with something similar (carpet, sheets, futon covers, etc), and you would need filters on all openings that let outside air in, as well as an airlock on your doors. Exposed wood, cardboard, and paint would be out, replaced or covered by plastics and stainless steel.

Food preparation would have to be done in an isolated room. You'd also have to do a very thorough cleaning before, during, and after the installation of all this stuff, with a highly filtered vacuum.

I've probably missed a few things, but that'll get you started. You could probably get to class 1000 without too much effort and expense, but costs would increase exponentially as you got to progressively lower levels.

-- Neil Maxwell - I don't speak for my employer

Reply to
Neil Maxwell

Unlikely. Carpets ? Outside air vents ?

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Sheeeze, you guys all gotta turn the damn computer off once a month, get yourselves a (Tim the Tool Man) super sized, gas powered leaf blower, open all the doors and windows and get all that crap dumped outside.

--
"ACK",
  Bill D.

" Now just look..... they\'re burning the `Porta-Potties\' "
  ........ OPUS
Reply to
Bill D.

Get a maid. Make sure you get one that looks good in one of those 'french maid' outfits, with the short skirt and all.

;-)

>> Insert witty message here
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

What a waste of a thread, not even funny or nVidia related.

Reply to
OldFartJC

The proper 'Tim the Tool Man' sic Taylor (US sitcom reference for those not familiar with the show) equivalent for a computer geek would be to go to Fry's (Silicon Valley reference) and rig-up a device (computer controlled) that used a reasonably large, power-of-two number of cans of dust-off. Extra points would be awarded for creating a dual-use device that could function as a personal jet pack.

The more prosaic version would be based on cooling fans reused from old computers.

:)

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

On 1/4/2006 6:59 AM Skybuck Flying brightened our day with:

"I think it\'s much more interesting to live not knowing than to have
answers which might be wrong"

						Richard P. Feynman

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Reply to
Inglo

i heard that we produce 15kg dust per year from skin moulting

regards :)

Reply to
jutek

This fits to a central heating system and cleans the recirculated air. Vacuum your room, have the air ducts in the heating system cleaned with a vacuum cleaner, then turn this thing on. Expect to have to remove and clean the filters frequently at first, and a bit less as time passes.

This would be a bit extreme for your bedroom :-) (Bunny suits to contain human particulate...)

Paul

Reply to
Paul
95% of household dust dead flakes of human skin. You can reduce it by taking a bath every 10 years or so.

not

if

Reply to
Emperor's New Widescreen

Hm, produces the instant joke: "Have you heard, Skybuck lost 10kg weight!" - "What did he do?" - "He took a bath!" ;-)

*SCNR* but Skybuck is so archetypical geeky that I have to ;-). This "Why is my room dusting up, what is this stack of half-empty pizza boxes doing on my bed, and what can I do against it?" is extremely funny. It's just off-topic to all of the groups above, isn't there some appropriate group in the *.jokes hierarchy?
--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/