OT: CPU heatsink "heat pipes"

There is no play on words. Claiming that the source of the funds was an un-representative minority doesn't get you off the hook, when your adminstartion was dilatory in stopping the find raising and did nothing effective to stop the transfer of funds. Your House of Representatives is the one "representative" minority that you have got, and their inactivity endorsed the funding of the IRA as an activity approved by the majority of your citizens.

There is also the practical point that governments can't afford to regard the actions of private individuals as being un-represenative of the nation-state to which those individuals belong - the anti-terrorist authorities in the U.K. couldn't send agents to Boston to arrest and charge the U.S citizens who were active as IRA-fundraisers there, but had to rely on diplomatic pressure on the U.S. administration in Washington, who took a very long time to respond in any useful way.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

terror.

know

you know how when you nibble on the outside of the cookie it never tastes the same as the inside....you know the WHOLE story. When you see and hear the whole thing it rarely has anything to do with the nibblings.

Reply to
JAD

Nice try but it's demagogic nonsense as what you call "only one option" is the option of being able to chose your leaders in a process that preserves that option of choice.

But you're right that it's a clueless detector, except in the reverse of what you apparently think. Let's see, we have the supposed 'choice' of voting for Saddam Hussein in an attendence required 'election' where you're shot unless you 'chose' him or the option of voting for anyone in an open and free election.

And the clueless tell you the later is "only one option" and not a choice at all

More demagogic nonsense by offering false choices. Being fed foot first into a tree chipper is not simply "a quick bit of torture" but feel free to list off who you think would chose being hauled off to a mass grave in the middle of the night never to be seen again.

Then you should seriously reconsider your arguments because they all presume Hussein to be a 'reasonable choice'.

Yes, those that enjoyed the fruits of oppressing would like to continue the oppression. The same was true of dedicated NAZIs but those in their right mind do not lament the regime's passing.

If you think the "best that can be said" for a free government vs a brutal dictatorship is that future concerns are simply 'different' then I suggest you go live in the latter for a while and get back to us once you have a few clues about it.

The not so little matter of the regime starting two wars of aggression in the region, failing to meet the terms of cease fire, it's programs of WMD, support for terrorism, and failing to meet any of the 13 U.N. mandatory resolutions over 10 years, to name a few, had a bit to do with it.

But speaking of 'asking' is more demagogic nonsense because it presumes the possibility of people 'choosing' what no sane person would, ignores the indigenous attempts to overthrow the regime, and plays with the absurdity of a dictatorship allowing the question to even be uttered, much less answered.

Let someone murder a few hundred thousand, just so you know they're serious, stick a gun to your head and 'ask' if you'd like to have them as 'leader' and let's see how you answer.

The premise is false.

And it continues to this very day.

More precisely, they are released to the government of the respective country under terms mutually agreed to. They are not simply 'released'.

No, he didn't. Try reading the speech instead of listening to political hacks.

You should try reading it because the Geneva Convention also explicitly states what constitutes legal vs illegal combatants and what rights the two enjoy.

The fact of the matter is that the U.S. is wholly complaint and treats illegal combatants much better than anything stated in the Geneva Convention.

The uninformed and paranoid might feel as you say, plus those who enjoy the fruits of oppression, but no one who knows the reality of it would.

Reply to
David Maynard

You apparently don't know that the "Real IRA" is a splinter group that broke off the IRA.

Reply to
David Maynard

Not at all and we hear about the clueless who say that. It just isn't true.

Reply to
David Maynard

No, it's because mutual inspections would be needed to ensure compliance. Eisenhower (remember Eisenhower? as in "saved Europe from the Nazis"?) proposed "open skies" flyover too, and they rejected that. The Cold War was largely the result of incredible Soviet paranoia.

Every country is, and should be, self-serving. They owe it to their citizens. Historically, the US has been a lot less abusive to other countries than most. Than a lot still are.

John

Well, 'proof' is a bit hard to come by when speaking of pre-history but all the available evidence, and prevailing theories, indicate that humans migrated to the North American continent and not that they independently evolved there.

And there is also some evidence that the races commonly referred to as "Native Americans" were not the first.

Reply to
David Maynard

People are always talking about 'the thing' that won the war but I suspect it took a bit more than that ;)

The History Channel runs lots of shows that highlight well known weapons, and little known things about them, as well as little known weapons.

The show about 'secret' Japanese weaponry was most illuminating with tons of information that is seldom, if ever, mentioned in the traditional history books. One eye opener was their plan to drop radiation bombs on the U.S. mainland. A plan that was fully developed, in process, and scheduled to take place only a few weeks after the war ended.

Very well could have been as the U.S. was a major oil producer at the time and Texas was major in the U.S. (still is).

Reply to
David Maynard

Apart from the native Indians, ALL U.S citizens are or are descended from immigrants.

-- Conor

I'm so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror. After all, if they hadn't funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn't know what terror was.

Reply to
Conor

Yet strangely he didn't go to the Arabs who, per capita, are far richer than Americans.

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

But that was it. THer weren't tens of thousands who died a slow lingering death from radiation poisoning.

Interesting that with the stance on the "axis of evil" having nuclear missiles, that the Americans are the only ones who've actually used atomic weapons against civilians.

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

Yet strangely on the BBC News, people said things in Iraq were far better under Saddam than the US control.

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

Wow. They decided to stop fundraising AFTER it had pretty much all come to an end. How very generous of them. Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted comes to mind.

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

Really? Guess US news is very heavily censored by that comment...

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

You're right. But not in the presence of oxidables such as metals.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

starved,

Its a Troll magic trick....he is the 'houdini' of the illusion

Reply to
JAD

The main failure of a heatpipe I was told is that copper reduces the water, builds copper oxide on some places and leaves Hydrogen where the water should be condensing. Thus the heat transfer capacity is reducing over the years.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

What are you saying? You respond with one bleat of "smear tactic" paranoia and an accusation of misrepresentation. Both unfounded. The *fact* remains that, a major source of funding for the IRA came from the USA.

It's a TRUE (with documentation) or FALSE (with documentation) question.

A quickie from wikipedia.org American funding of paramilitary groups

America has a history of supplying funds for paramilitary groups that are called freedom fighters by the donors and their allies, but regarded as extremists or terrorists by their opponents. Such funding may be provided by the government, by private citizens, or by a combination of the two. The Contras in Nicaragua are an example of this.

*Even a close ally like the United Kingdom has been the target of such action: there is a long history of Americans openly raising funds for both the Provisional Irish Republican Army and the Real Irish Republican Army. Funds for these groups are commonly raised by Irish-Americans, who feel a patriotic sense of involvement in The Troubles in Northern Ireland. Although the US government did not endorse private US citizens fundraising for Republican atrocities, some consider that did not do enough or much at all to prevent them. In the context of the so-called War on Terror, some Britons often refer to this as evidence of alleged US hypocrisy on the issue of terrorism*
--
"ACK",
  Bill D.

" Now just look..... they\'re burning the `Porta-Potties\' "
Reply to
Bill D.

This "Conor" fellow does seem to be an extreme example of "simple minded". Hopefully he's still just a child.

...Jim Thompson

Even they are descended from 'immigrants'. It is just a matter of how long ago the transfer took place...

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett