OT: CPU heatsink "heat pipes"

Well, thank you for the larger and more colorful demonstration of clueless but the first one was quite sufficient.

You really should diversify your sources if for no other reason than, as Sun Tzu extolled, to know your enemy but, in any case, dump the clueless ones because clueless in, clueless out.

A few clueless detector tips. Anyone who suggests to you that people, regardless of race, creed, color, or national origin (little American phraseology there) actually prefer and 'chose' to be tyrannized, starved, tortured, murdered, and all the other niceties accompanying a brutal dictatorship, are clueless, or worse.

Another one. People who blow up shopping malls, weddings, and sundry random innocent people, not to mention flying airliners into skyscrapers, as their primary, if not sole, means of 'political persuasion' are not "freedom fighters" and anyone who suggests otherwise is clueless, or worse.

Now, I don't have time to explain all of the obvious to you, like when one captures combatants you have basically two choices, either kill them or lock them up because letting them loose to shoot at you again is just plain brain dead stupid, but if you find some sources that actually do have a clue you won't be so 'afraid' any more.

Reply to
David Maynard

John Doe

Many of Conor's posts are borderline troll - try looking on some of the uk.* newsgroups for examples.

The logic is flawed - the IRA found a source of funding in the USA: so without the USA the IRA would not be able to operate? Nah.

Reply to
Never Mind

That isn't true. For example, in May 2001 the U.S. outlawed the "Real IRA" and made fund raising by it and other front groups illegal and the U.S. went aggressively against Noraid throughout the 1980s, but even if your accusation were true it still doesn't alter the fact that the assertion of "The USA" funding the IRA is false.

Reply to
David Maynard

More clueless

Reply to
David Maynard

I know what convection is, thanks. Ditto conduction and radiation.

Have you grasped the concept of a heat pipe yet?

Reply to
Never Mind

Yes indeed. They were caused by a series of events from lousy British management of farms in Ireland, to the decision by Irish farmers to grow only potatoes because they could harvest more per acre than with other crops as well as to the fact that a blight hit the potato crops turning them into a rotten mess virtually overnight. Hence, nearly 3/4 of a million died of starvation over a period of approximately *10 years* . So, your point would be what? If you think that was brought on solely by the British then you need a history lesson.

If you want to have a go at some real nasties, take look at yourselves. It was your nation who brought the fires of hell down on almost 1/2 million Japanese *civilians* and wiped them out in just *2 bombing runs* and then wrote it of as a necessity to end a war. Strange how history favors the victor and makes a bad thing right huh?

You have no room to criticize others and you have absolutely nothing of value to teach anyone.

--
"ACK",
  Bill D.

" Now just look..... they\'re burning the `Porta-Potties\' "
  ........ OPUS
Reply to
Bill D.

Who's we buddy? You got worms?

--
"ACK",
  Bill D.

" Now just look..... they\'re burning the `Porta-Potties\' "
  ........ OPUS
Reply to
Bill D.

To reiterate the original claim.

"I'm so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror. After all, if they hadn't funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn't know

what terror was. "

The major part of the IRA income in the 1970's and 1980's came from the U.S.A. and - in that sense - "the U.S.A." did fund the IRA, so the assertion is true. The U.S. governement never directly gave money to the IRA, but it took a long time before they did anything effective to stop the flow of ostensibly private funds, so the U.S.A. does have a large chunk of collective responsibility, and unsupported denials are a waste of bandwidth.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

This is potentially lethal set-up. Ethyl ether has a very low flash point, and if the sealing lets go, you could fill a room with ether vapour, with could turn into a fuel-air bomb on any kind of spark - turning a light-switch or or off can do it. The equivalent fluorocarbons may wreck the ozone layer in due course, but they don't have the same capacity to remove a wall or two under worst case conditions.

In my career as a chemist I was around on a couple of occasions when ethyl ether did its hyper-flammable thing, and one time (in England) we lost a whole lab's worth of gear and the guy in the lab at the time spent six weeks in hospital getting his burns healed up.

The university labs in Melbourne had heat-activated sprinkler systems, which limited the damage to the initial blast - happily, all the blasts in my time were small one's.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

w=20

=20

=20

*=20

=20

Nice selective culling of half facts.

Anyone who's done even a passing study of the Pacific theater knows that =

the Japanese military killed their own civilians, or forced/convinced the= m=20 to commit suicide, rather than allow them to exit the battle field,=20 resulting in a sometimes bizarre scenario of U.S. forces risking life and= =20 limb to defend Japanese civilians from their own army (but more often=20 pinned down and able to only watch the slaughter), and that fact was full= y=20 fresh and illuminated by Okinawa and Iwo Jima (between a quarter and a=20 third of the civilian population perished) when the decision was made.

It was estimated that a conventional invasion of the Japanese homeland=20 would face a force of at least 5 million fully equipped Japanese dug in I= wo=20 Jima style over the entire island, lasting a year or more (hopefully not = as=20 dismally optimistic as the Iwo Jima estimate had been), resulting in=20 between 1.7 to 4 million U.S. casualties, 400,000 to 800,000 of those bei= ng=20 deaths, and upwards to 10 million Japanese casualties.

To say that Truman opted for 'the bomb' rather than invasion is a misnome= r.=20 He authorized three concurrent strategies: Invasion preparations proceede= d=20 as planned, the blockade and conventional bombing continued (including=20 advance leaflet drops warning civilians to evacuate the target areas), an= d=20 'the bomb' was authorized in hopes of ending the war more quickly.

While it was known that 'the bomb' made one hell of a big boom a complete= =20 appreciation of the dangers posed by nuclear radiation was still years aw= ay=20 as evidenced by plans to use the estimated 7 bombs that could be made in =

time for the planned invasion on beach defenses, approximately three for =

each corps zone of advance, with what we now know would have had hideous =

consequences for the hundreds of thousands of U.S. soldiers and Marines w= ho=20 would have soon passed directly through the devastated areas after landin= g,=20 and the tens of thousands more men using the same ground afterwards for=20 base and airfield construction.

The Potsdam ultimatum was issued on July 26 and the populace of the targe= t=20 cities were warned, with leaflets dropped on 11 Japanese cities, on July =

27, telling the citizens that America was "in possession of the most=20 destructive explosive ever devised by man." Leaflets were again dropped o= n=20 August 1 with the following Japanese text: =93Read this carefully as it m= ay=20 save your life or the life of a relative or friend. In the next few days,= =20 some or all of the cities named on the reverse side will be destroyed by =

American bombs. These cities contain military installations and workshops= =20 or factories which produce military goods. We are determined to destroy a= ll=20 of the tools of the military clique which they are using to prolong this =

useless war. But, unfortunately, bombs have no eyes. So, in accordance wi= th=20 America's humanitarian policies, the American Air Force, which does not=20 wish to injure innocent people, now gives you warning to evacuate the=20 cities named and save your lives. America is not fighting the Japanese=20 people but is fighting the military clique which has enslaved the Japanes= e=20 people. The peace which America will bring will free the people from the =

oppression of the military clique and mean the emergence of a new and=20 better Japan. You can restore peace by demanding new and good leaders who= =20 will end the war. We cannot promise that only these cities will be among =

those attacked but some or all of them will be, so heed this warning and =

evacuate these cities immediately.=94

Hiroshima, where the 2nd Japanese Army stood poised to defend against the= =20 still planned Allied invasion, was hit on August 6.

Truman issued the following statement: "It was to spare the Japanese peop= le=20 from utter destruction that the ultimatum of July 26 was issued at Potsda= m.=20 Their leaders promptly rejected that ultimatum. If they do not now accept= =20 our terms, they may expect a rain of ruin from the air the likes of which= =20 has never been seen on this earth."

The Japanese military succeeds in preventing negotiation.

Nagasaki, major seaport/war material production center and crucial target= =20 for the still planned invasion, is hit on August 9.

The Japanese military almost succeeds in a coup preventing the Emperor fr= om=20 surrendering but a little known conventional bombing mission to take out =

Japan's remaining large refinery complex north of Tokyo foils the plot wh= en=20 power to the radio station is killed by the blackout preventing the=20 takeover announcement and call to the troops.

I suppose you, being a sane, rational, and compassionate Canadian vs the =

blood thirsty leaflet dropping Americans, would have opted solely for the= =20 conventional 14 million casualties, 4 million of which being your fellow =

countrymen; a wholly optimistic estimate since you would have, apparently= ,=20 left the enemy's strategic defenses intact as well.

Reply to
David Maynard

Aye...you're selfish. America is thieving Iraqi oil and giving reconstruction contracts to US companies whilst the Iraqis starve and have no jobs...

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

Yet the USA was the country Jerry Adams went to on fundraising trips.

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

Yup. And it's a far greater knowledge than you have about terrorism, politics and geography.

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

In fact they even passed legislation to allow Sin Fein to set up offices in the US.

--
Conor

I\'m so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
After all, if they hadn\'t funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn\'t know
what terror was.
Reply to
Conor

I built a heat pipe CPU cooling because it is inaudible and if done well it can hardly fail as there is no fan or pump:

And, of course, it's damn cool. Everyone who sees the boiling ether in my copper block is amazed :).

Bernhard

Reply to
Bernhard Kuemel

The British tried daylight bombing too (first) but abandoned it because of the massive losses. Initial U.S. daylight bombing missions had no deep fighter coverage at all, and were a disaster, but the U.S. was convinced the accuracy made possible by the secret Nordon bombsight was necessary. They had hoped that high altitude, made possible by the secret super-charger, would protect the bombers but, no.

It was only after the Packard Merlin P-51B Mustangs that effective long range fighter support was available and daylight bombing became really effective in 1944.

The movie Memphis Belle chronicles a piece of those desperate times by recounting the first daylight bomber crew to survive their mission quota.

Reply to
David Maynard

I didn't "suggest" anything. I made a clear declarative statement.

Reply to
David Maynard

You remember right. Diethyl ether is stored in brown glass bottles to minimse the amount of UV getting through to create the dangerous peroxides.

An nice opaque metal heat-pipe would be perfectly safe. No UV photons could get in to excite the C-O-C ether link, and the sintered metal capillary return would probably scavange any peroxides that might be produce by cosmic rays and the like.

Eye-candy processor cooling systems could present more problems.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

/snip/

Clueless? Who?

/snip/

So, you would suggest that American intervention abroad qualifies them as 'freedom fighters'? If American foreign policy supports, and even put in place, those goverments that 'tyrannized, starved, tortured, murdered' the people; what are they?

'The following timeline describes just a few of the hundreds of atrocities and crimes committed by the CIA since 1943'

'This is a list of United States interventions or alleged interventions since 1945.'

'Guatemala ... the CIA-sponsored military coup in 1954...'

'This collection -- 5,120 documents (over 14,000 pages) -- chronicles CIA involvement in the 1954 coup in Guatemala.'

'U.S. officials released documents on Monday acknowledging the CIA had provided covert aid 30 years ago to undermine Chile's government,...'

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me